GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,316
1 members and 1,315 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to spr06diva
Throwin up the Hooks

Does it offend the BRUHZ when we Deltas through up the hooks? I meet a Bruh who takes offense to it and I just never thought about it from that point of view... so I wanted to get a sense of how some other Omega Men felt about the issue.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr06diva
Does it offend the BRUHZ when we Deltas through up the hooks? I meet a Bruh who takes offense to it and I just never thought about it from that point of view... so I wanted to get a sense of how some other Omega Men felt about the issue.
Why would Deltas be throwing up the hook in the first place?????
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Go figure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek
Why would Deltas be throwing up the hook in the first place?????
I often wonder the same thing Soror. In all honesty when I was a neo we had strolls that had the hooks in them so I ain't really trippin'. I didn't think much of it then because our chapter was so close to the bruh's in our area so it was never an issue. Of course as I got older I realized that those few bruhs were not the representatives for the whole fraternity. In my opinion it looks sort of weird to see Sorors throw up the hooks even when they're doing tribute steps. Since we're talking about tribute steps let me tell you why I don't care for those either. Why is it that the sororities are always the one's to dedicate steps to the fraternities but most of the fraternities, with the exception of the Iotas and maybe the Sigmas, don't dedicate squat to the sororities? I love the bruhs but I'm secretly protesting all tributes to them!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyQuinn
I often wonder the same thing Soror. In all honesty when I was a neo we had strolls that had the hooks in them so I ain't really trippin'. I didn't think much of it then because our chapter was so close to the bruh's in our area so it was never an issue. Of course as I got older I realized that those few bruhs were not the representatives for the whole fraternity. In my opinion it looks sort of weird to see Sorors throw up the hooks even when they're doing tribute steps. Since we're talking about tribute steps let me tell you why I don't care for those either. Why is it that the sororities are always the one's to dedicate steps to the fraternities but most of the fraternities, with the exception of the Iotas and maybe the Sigmas, don't dedicate squat to the sororities? I love the bruhs but I'm secretly protesting all tributes to them!
I hear ya, soror. I mean I love the bruhs, but we have our hand sign and they have their hook. If I see a bruh I do our hand sign and they do their hook. That sets the connection. Why on earth would I flash them with the hook? Especially since it is all unofficial anyway.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not a big issue--truly;but in reference to the question, personally I don't like it. But I'm more irked by brothers who tacitly encourage this. I look at it as a case of perp-lite, even though no malicious intent is meant. On another level I don't understand why:I wouldn't throw up any other group signs, even though I may respect them and have some affinity with them. I believe in diversity. This brings the old fashioned part in me.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 07-14-2006, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Part of an Omega Step with Tribute to Sorors

Quote:
Why is it that the sororities are always the one's to dedicate steps to the fraternities but most of the fraternities, with the exception of the Iotas and maybe the Sigmas, don't dedicate squat to the sororities? I love the bruhs but I'm secretly protesting all tributes to them!
I got this in an e-mail the other day, oddly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWnT_iRD3s&search=delta%20sigma%20theta
Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Jinx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4

Why was I just about to recant my last post because I was just on youtube and saw this as well. I understand the sentiment and I love the bruhs for loving Deltas but I laughed through the whole thing!
Old 07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Understood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This is not a big issue--truly;but in reference to the question, personally I don't like it. But I'm more irked by brothers who tacitly encourage this. I look at it as a case of perp-lite, even though no malicious intent is meant. On another level I don't understand why:I wouldn't throw up any other group signs, even though I may respect them and have some affinity with them. I believe in diversity. This brings the old fashioned part in me.
I respect what you said which is the reason I do not throw up the hooks. I know plenty of bruhs that don't mind but I also know enough that do mind even if they don't say anything. Even if your national body said it was okay for non-bruhs to throw up the hooks I still wouldn't do it because it just seems weird. I guess since the bruhs let their pearls/gems/essences throw up the hooks then....

Last edited by MightyQuinn; 07-15-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to laidbackfella Send a message via AIM to laidbackfella Send a message via Yahoo to laidbackfella
It doesn't offend me, however I do have a problem if a Woman of Delta Sigma Theta is throwing up the hooks more frequently than I am.

When I was a NEO I thought as a NEO so I let a lot of stuff slide and even participated in NEOish hi-jinks.

By growing older in my organization and dialouging with older greeks online & off I've come to realize that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD do something.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr06diva
Why would you want to do 'any' other Orgs signs?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Because tribute steps are:

1. not cool in general #1 because a step show should be a format to showcase your Orgs style of stepping/Marching (for the Bruhs). Why would I want to see org 'a' do org 'b' steps at a stepshow where org 'b' is stepping. Do you.

2. By nature, Fraternities doing a 'Sorority' step..... is an unmanly act.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4

OH....MY... GOD.. N O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O !!!!

and music too... "N O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O!!!!

Was Fall of 1993 soooooo long ago in Greekdom?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjukebox
OH....MY... GOD.. N O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O !!!!

and music too... "N O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O!!!!

Was Fall of 1993 soooooo long ago in Greekdom?

My good Brother, what an abomination. Never should the Bruhs cross that line. That violates an Omega "man rule" 3x. No tribute steps, no steps to music, and no female/other org handsigns.

Oh the horror!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

In a word (or 4) Bruh/Omega culture is different. We thrive on being different. As in doing Omega, rather than being Greek. That stuff is "cute", but it is not "Omega"

We love you Sista, but let the Sigmas and Iotas do that. It aint about not loving y'all, it against Omega tradition to do effeminate things, love or no love. Doing female steps (tribute or not, IS G-Y to real Bruhs that know better) Doing another orgs handsign (sister or not) is G=Y. Signing off however lovingly) "Roo-Oop" is G-Y. Neos that do that stuff are quickly told to cease and desist.

Got much love/respect for DST and the bond, but no co-joined handsigns etc.

P.S. I don't mind anything done out of love or affection. If a Delta is throwin up hooks, I would assume that she had a close chapter relationship with the Bruhs. No fan of tribute steps. Don't mind them in a stroll

Last edited by PerroLoco; 07-14-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

OMG