GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,421
2 members and 2,419 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 05-12-2007, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Paddles

I searched and didn't find anything about this. I'm sure someone will direct me to it if I missed it.

So, paddles! Who, what, when?

I just learned from 'centaur532' that in her chapter the 'moms' give the paddles to the 'daughters'. I thought this was interesting. In my chapter the littles decorated a paddle and gave it to their bigs after initiation.

Because of the negative connotation associated with paddles, some KD chapters now use wooden daggers that are about a foot tall. My chapter used the tradition paddles. Then they came out with ones with a slot for a photo and we used those.

So, how does your chapter do it? Littles to bigs, bigs to littles? Do you have "family" paddles? Have the shapes changed to be more PC? Do you decorate them? When do you exchange them? Or do they stay in the family? Got any photos?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2007, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

In my fraternity, the little brother is supposed to give his big brother a paddle after the big brother gives the little brother a sweatshirt with sewn-on letters...however, most little bros don't wait around on the big bros and give them their paddles anyway...I still haven't gotten my sweatshirt from my big or my paddle from my little lol
Old 05-12-2007, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

in my chapter, big bros and little bros make and exchange paddles for each other at the end of initiation. we use traditional paddles and just decorate them to make them personal. also, the big bro is supposed to buy a shirt with formal (sewn on) letters for his little bro so that the little gets his first set of letters from his big bro.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 05-12-2007, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, the littles are in charge of creating and decorating a paddle for their bigs and they give it to them at initiation

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

"wall plaques" They're called "wall plaques"

My chapter was a fairly young chapter and just started doing paddles (as a chapter) my senior year. They were initiation presents for the new members from their bigs. (of course I ordered one for my big and myself since I had no little and my big was an alum )

My sister (a Tri Delta) does paddles for EVERYTHING. And they do the handpainted ones too. They have like 3 different types of sisters (pearl, big and mom... I think) and everyone gives everyone paddles all the time. Luckily they have a source that gets the plain wooden ones for 4 bucks a piece.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

As a pledge I made paddles for my special and my Mom (my real MOM.) As a Delta I have made paddles as a gift for neos, and for sorors. Also as a Delta I have received paddles from pledges, sorors, and other NPHC members.
In other words there were no rules about who got one when. Just rules about what was on them at the time of the gift.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Bigs and lils exchange paddles during Inspo week (week of initiation).

My chapter used to do plain ones, but now i'd say 85% of them are entirely painted.

I made this one for lil #1: http://i10.tinypic.com/6gx3zok.jpg
the picture is poor quality, but you can see it has a photo of us on it as well as family symbols (palm tree, family name etc).

I don't have a picture of lil #2's or the paddles they gave me.

paddle i gave my big: http://i5.tinypic.com/4yuh3sx.jpg

paddle from my big: http://i8.tinypic.com/5y9t5dl.jpg
Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

At both my undergrad and the chapter I advised, the pledge mom/key sister (as they're now called) made it for the new member upon her initiation. I think I was in the last pledge class at my chapter to get actual "paddles," after us they started using large wooden keys.

Some people did just basic paddles -- names, year, letters, coat of arms. Some went all out with the paint, ribbon, glitter and craft glue -- especially at the chapter I advised.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
My sister (a Tri Delta) does paddles for EVERYTHING. And they do the handpainted ones too. They have like 3 different types of sisters (pearl, big and mom... I think) and everyone gives everyone paddles all the time. Luckily they have a source that gets the plain wooden ones for 4 bucks a piece.
My tri delta BFF did a lot of paddles if I remember correctly. I realize it's probably a chapter-to-chapter thing but it amused me to read this

My paddle is pretty awesome, my favourite colour is orange so my 'mom' painted it orange and all the letters silver with silver glitter and a silver bow to hang it with.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3be&id=1404447 <----- some paddles I made
Old 05-12-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

we make plaques for our bigs and vice versa. the one from my big has red AOII ribbon going around it with sparkly red and white glitter. the one from my little is pink with black outline with gold glitter letters and purple letters. we exchange about 3/4 through there new member period at big/lil sleepover, where we give the littles a bunch of little goodies in a decorated sleeping pillow.

i know my dchi boyfriend made a plaque for his big and his big made him a jersey with double stitched letters.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Little gives the big after initiation when the little receives a set of letters, a pillow, and other gifts from the big. The NM class also makes for the NME (New Member Educator) and President. If there is an assistant NME she gets a teddy bear shaped plaque. They get decorated and there is certain items that must be on them.

My chapter did sister to sister paddles as well one year.

That's my paddle wall, it's missing one paddle.

An example of one I made:

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 05-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Bigs & Littles decorate wooden sailboats and exchange them at "Boat Revealing" the semester after the Little Sis is initiated.

Each new member class decorates a class sailboat with each of their names on it to hang in the chapter house.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Littles make their bigs a paddle and present it at their new member social. Bigs are responsible for procuring a stiched sweatshirt to give to their little directly after initiation.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Pledge Pop gives a paddle (see below).

Also, during initiation week we get a wooden badge, you have your closest brothers sign it.