GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,469
1 members and 2,468 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta 101 Question: Pin

Beta 101 Question: At the Capitol Hill Reception last night I was asked by a Brother why I wore my pin on my lapel instead of my shirt. I stated that due to my very limited Beta experience (having been finally initiated after 21 years a pledge) I wore it there to show it off and to spark conversations. It was noted ...that several others wore thiers on the laepl as well. So, is there a Beta code segment that tells me I am in error and need to move it?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM

Sorry for the girl-crash, but when I was a pledge, we were also told to NOT wear our pin on a lapel. I think the rationale was that you might take your jacket off and leave it someplace and if you are wearing your pin it should stay on.

When I asked our national ritual chair a few years ago - she had never heard of such a thing. I think it was probably something that sprang up during the late 70s - early 80s when blazers and suits were popular for college women (especially in the Northeast).
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Another lane swerve, since I'm not a Beta.

I believe it was once very common to wear badges on lapels; I've seen lots of old (as in early 20th Century) pictures from various fraternities where badges are on lapels. Over time, that practice seems to have faded in favor of wearing the badge directly over the heart. In some fraternities this is by rule (our General Regulations forbid wearing our badge on a lapel) while in others it may be by custom.

FWIW, Chapter XV, Section 2, of Beta's Code (which is online) says that the badge is "to be worn over the heart and in a manner befitting the honor and dignity to which the badge is entitled." A Beta would have to say whether wearing the badge on the lapel satisfies this provision.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Code On-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
FWIW, Chapter XV, Section 2, of Beta's Code (which is online) says that the badge is "to be worn over the heart and in a manner befitting the honor and dignity to which the badge is entitled." A Beta would have to say whether wearing the badge on the lapel satisfies this provision.
Did not know that the Code was on-line. Thank you.