GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,795
0 members and 2,795 guests
No Members online

Old 12-11-2004, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Teens Tried as Adults?

I can't find the link to the stories so I'll make it brief.

In Anaheim, California, a 14 year old male was arrested for the brutal kidnapping, assault, and rape of at least 4 victims. He is to be tried as an adult if the D.A. gets his way.

In another case, 4 Caucasian teenage males were arrested for severely beating and attacking a African-American male. They are being charged with assault and a hate crime b/c of the racial slurs they were heard screaming by witnesses.

What do you guys think? Should teens be tried as adults for the crimes they commit?

I think they should depending on the severity of the crime. Rape, murder, assault, etc. are definitely crimes that should be tried in adult court.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Teens Tried as Adults?

On the one hand, I totally agree with you. If you commit the crime, you must do the time... Adult punishment for adult crimes...

On the other hand, if you incarcerate teens with criminal adults, I believe the studies show that it is nearly impossible to rehabilitate any teenager who commited any kind of crime, severe or not...

And most teens that commit heinious crimes usually have severe mental disorders that are left untreated or undiagnosed (i.e. psychosis, schizophrenia, physical or sexual abuse issues, etc.), which may be an infringement with the mental disabilities act--but that may only be for capital punishments... I am not a lawyer.

However, adults who also commit similar heinious crimes have severe mental disorders that are also untreated or undiagnosed... So that arguement alone is weak...

But children--and teens under 18 are legally still children in this country--are thought not to be responsible for their actions.

Your questions really create a dilemma, huh?

So for me, individual assessment of the crime and judging each case would be critical. But that's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by BetteDavisEyes

In Anaheim, California, a 14 year old male was arrested for the brutal kidnapping, assault, and rape of at least 4 victims. He is to be tried as an adult if the D.A. gets his way.

In another case, 4 Caucasian teenage males were arrested for severely beating and attacking a African-American male. They are being charged with assault and a hate crime b/c of the racial slurs they were heard screaming by witnesses.

What do you guys think? Should teens be tried as adults for the crimes they commit?

I think they should depending on the severity of the crime. Rape, murder, assault, etc. are definitely crimes that should be tried in adult court.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-11-2004, 05:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
I don't think that teens understand the ethics associated with laws about white collar crimes, but they are almost never in a position to violate those laws.

When it comes to murder or rape, I have no problem with treating pre-teens as adults.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

I absolutely hate to say this, but I think we need a third "tier" of the penal system. I hate the idea of putting a teenaged violent criminal into the adult penal system, because it's just going to teach him how to be a "better", more violent criminal. Yet, they have no business being in juvenile detention with runaways and such.

AND, it should also be run in a way to make it uncomfortable enough to not want to return!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Teens Tried as Adults?

Quote:
Originally posted by BetteDavisEyes

I'm going to play armchair psychiatrist for a moment just for this particular case.If this young man has committed at least 4 violent rapes and kidnappings at 14,what are the chances that he will be able to be rehabilitated?Violent sex offenders generally are not "cured".Usually these sorts of acts are tied in with who the offenders are sexually.I think often it goes beyond mental illness. Once again,I am not a doctor,just an avid true crime reader.
While I agree adult prison probably isn't the answer,what do we do with him?(Thats a genuine question ,not sarcasm.) We certainly couldn't put him with other juveniles.He is going to be a danger where ever he goes.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Should teens be tried as Adults?

On a case by case basis.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
No. We shouldn't.

There is an imagianry line that seperates adulthood from childhood. We can't keep moving that around to fit people's agendas or sense of horror.

With tose female teachers sleeping with their 14 and 15 year old male students . . why can't the boys be considered adult if they are willing participants?

These kind of rules are punishment oriented and also differentially applied.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
No. We shouldn't.

There is an imagianry line that seperates adulthood from childhood. We can't keep moving that around to fit people's agendas or sense of horror.

With tose female teachers sleeping with their 14 and 15 year old male students . . why can't the boys be considered adult if they are willing participants?

These kind of rules are punishment oriented and also differentially applied.
Agreed. Kids are kids and should be treated as such.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Agreed. Kids are kids and should be treated as such.
So a kid who is a rapist should simply be treated as a kid, with no regard to the recidivism rate among sexual predators?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:04 PM

While I think psychology is inexact at best, if a minor is deemed mature enough to understand the nature of the crime and the crime itself is bad enough, the minor should be tried as an adult.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
A teenager went on a sex attack crime spree in NY a few days ago. He sodomized, beat, and robbed a woman. He attacked two other women a few hours later including a woman he kicked in the head multiple times when she refused to take him up to her apartment for sex. According to the article, "He was charged as an adult, but will be sentenced as a juvenile if convicted."

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...eadlines-crime

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-222663c.html

The teen is 14. If he hadn't been caught, I think that he probably would have attacked even more women.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
So a kid who is a rapist should simply be treated as a kid, with no regard to the recidivism rate among sexual predators?
Yes. I'm not saying set him free and let him wander the streets -- there are procedures in place that provide for juvenile offenders. I find it incredibly self serving that kids are treated as adults when they do something terribly wrong and at no other time.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes. I'm not saying set him free and let him wander the streets -- there are procedures in place that provide for juvenile offenders. I find it incredibly self serving that kids are treated as adults when they do something terribly wrong and at no other time.
I diagree with this. I believe that public safety should be factored into these decisions.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
I diagree with this. I believe that public safety should be factored into these decisions.
Can you explain how public safety is negatively affected as a result of trying kids as juveniles instead of adults? I'm not trying to be a smartass -- I'm actually curious.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can you explain how public safety is negatively affected as a result of trying kids as juveniles instead of adults? I'm not trying to be a smartass -- I'm actually curious.
I'm assuming that the sentences are different, and I'm refering to crimes like sexual assault. The recidivism rate is so piss-poor that I believe that those who are convicted should be locked up for as long as possible. If trying a rapist as a juvenile means that he'll be released sooner, then it affects public safety.

For crimes that don't affect public safety, and have a recividism rate that is more favorable than a coin flip, try the kid as a juvenile.