GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,388
1 members and 2,387 guests
flirt5721

Old 09-03-2020, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
HANG ONTO YOUR HATS....

IU just recommended that ALL 40 Greek houses close—they are apparently all full of COVID-19...but then it’s not due to big parties either...just the situation I guess.
So now SEVERAL THOUSAND students are going to be hunting for housing in Bloomington, IN...which I think will spread it even quicker into the general community.

This “IU Daily Student” has this on the front page. This is going to leave EVERY housing corporation cash-strapped and scrambling to help their undergraduate brothers and sisters. I expect that IU may have a few rooms open....but nothing like what’s needed.
IU initially said they would offer quarantine housing for all students in the residence halls AND Greek housing. Then, about two weeks before the kids returned they walked that back saying students in Greek housing would not be permitted to quarantine on campus. So, I would not expect the dorms to take in any of these kids.

Now that they have told the Greek houses to completely close, they are telling the students to go to their home towns, not stay in Bloomington. There are about 2600 students residing in Greek houses. Some may go home but for others, there certainly isn't enough sublets or empty housing to accommodate them.

It is really a mess on so many levels. If the houses refund the payments they have received for the semester, it's unlikely they have the reserves to recover. If this continues into the spring semester those losses will be compounded by small or no new member classes, upperclassmen who drop because they don't perceive a benefit with no activities and an inevitable number of students who transfer or drop out of school altogether.

The impact will be felt for a very long time!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2020, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Whew, thank goodness IT'S ONLY RECOMMENDED, NOT MANDATORY.
There is debate about that. It sounds like the County Health Dept is doing more than just "recommending" this.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be ridiculous to turn these students who have now all been exposed out to the community to infect others. And if they think the same thing isn’t going to happen in dorms, they are really kidding themselves.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I just spoke to a member of the IU Fiji chapter Housing Corporation. He said things are unfolding so quickly...they have called an emergency House Corp meeting at 5. He said they ALL feel that going virtual with classes...at least till Thanksgiving...and leaving everybody to sequester in their own houses makes the most sense. But now that the Monroe Co. Board of Health is involved...who knows? He’s not overly fond of the IU President right now....

The whole situation should be in Urban Dictionary as the definition for SHIT SHOW!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Our Asian exchange students are shocked because their countries masked and did all the right things and they're still having high rates of Covid. Like here, the harshness of it seems to have abated somewhat, but they're still having lots of new cases daily.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It would be ridiculous to turn these students who have now all been exposed out to the community to infect others. And if they think the same thing isn’t going to happen in dorms, they are really kidding themselves.
Exactly. Barn door, horse, yadda yadda yadda.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
The whole situation should be in Urban Dictionary as the definition for SHIT SHOW!
^ exactly

IFC released a statement this afternoon criticizing IU's decision for being short sighted and not really thinking through the impact of these Greek students having to find off campus housing risking further contamination or being sent home to family members who may be a high risk.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn’t housing hard to come by in Bloomington?
Old 09-03-2020, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn’t it make more sense for all these houses to just quarantine maybe followed by testing to make sure they are all clear. That way it does not spread further in the community.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Yes. Even more so since IU has contracted with at least one apartment complex (and some hotels) to house students who otherwise would have been in dorms this year. (Most dorm rooms only have 1 person living in them this year, so there was a lot less dorm space.)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
30 of the houses were already under quarantine as of yesterday.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Found out that Pref at Ole Miss will be virtual. The COVID-19 numbers are low, so I guess they want to keep it that way. Sisterhood Round is Tues., Wed., and Thurs. Friday was supposed to be a rest day, but Pref will be Friday and Saturday. Bid Day is Sunday.
My source was mistaken. Pref at Ole Miss will still be virtual, but it is only on Saturday.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I actually went to Basic at Ft Jackson.

I didn’t say it’s safer (obviously since people are still getting deployed), but to me, it would be better than sitting in my hometown working a minimum wage job and taking substandard classes.

But maybe I think that way because I always wish I’d have gone on active duty?

I just feel so bad for this generation.
Small world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
IFC released a statement this afternoon criticizing IU's decision for being short sighted and not really thinking through the impact of these Greek students having to find off campus housing risking further contamination or being sent home to family members who may be a high risk.
Fauci and Birx literally just said not to send infected college students back home and that they should continue to quarantine on campus.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...tbreaks-2020-9

@~/~~~~
Old 09-04-2020, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

One thing that many students are not thinking about is what happens with student loans if they take a semester or more off. While there is a grace period of 6 months once a student drops below half time, that grace period can only be used once. So if a student takes it now in the middle of their academic program, under current guidelines, they do not have one when they graduate. Payments will have to begin immediately upon graduation.

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment

https://www.studentloanborrowerassis...grace-periods/
Old 09-04-2020, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

These kids are so screwed