GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,269
2 members and 2,267 guests
flirt5721

Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

my fall recruitment story!

So, I really enjoyed reading a lot of other recruitment stories, so I thought I'd tell my own.
My school has 7 NPC sororities and no locals. I'll use characters from Gilmore Girls as the code names.
Lorelai
Rory
Lane
Sookie
Babette
Miss Patty
Emily

Obviously, we do fall recruitment, which is 2 weeks after school starts, so we don't have to wait too long. However, we have strict silence during those two weeks, basically, PNMs are not allowed to talk to any sorority women and are discouraged from talking to any fraternity men.

I never thought myself as a sorority girl. I had been off and on about going through recruitment all summer. Finally, my mom told me I should at least go through since I would meet a lot of people. I could not be a legacy because my school does not have a chapter from her organization on campus.

I finally got a call from my Gamma Chi during the first week of school. Her name was Sasha and she was super nice and helpful. Our group and her partner's group were going to the football game that weekend and then to an all greek event the next week.

Before recruitment started, I knew I really liked Lorelai, Lane, and Sookie. I had recs for Lorelai and Lane. I knew several girls from each of these three organizations, either from high school or summer programs for freshmen.

Finally, the first day arrived. It was Open House night and the dress was dressy casual. Mostly sundresses or cute skirt/shirt combos. I got ready and headed to the auditorium where all the PNMs, Gamma Chis, and Panhellenic Exec were meeting before the parties started at 5.

We had a basic session of what to expect going through, what the rules were, and what your gamma chi was there to do.
Finally, that was over, and it was time to head across campus to the houses.

My heart will always belong to
one heart <3, one way -->
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh! Yay! Would you mind telling us what org your mom is a member of?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

She is a Tri-Delta.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah! Please proceed . . .
Old 01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm excited to read this one!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if our excitement has anything to do with "1874", violet pretty??
Old 01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, so I meet up with sasha and all our group members. I had a good friend in the group with me so we got to compare a little after each party, which was nice.

open house night
My first party was Rory. I did not know much about them on campus...They seemed to be a more shy group, but overall very sweet. The president went to high school with me and the first girl who picked me up also did. I was so nervous walking in because Sasha had said they would be screaming a lot then just grab you. I had no idea what that meant exactly. So, when I saw Hannah's face as I walked in the door, I felt a little better. I had admired her in high school and she reminded me of one of my really good friends. I don't remember any of the other girls I talked to, but I felt like I clicked with them and I really enjoyed their video.

Babette was my next party. I had a really close friend in this sorority. We've known each other our whole lives. Sadly, I did not get to talk to her because the sisters knew we knew each other. However, I did talk to a girl I had a class with in high school. She seemed a lot nicer than she had been in high school. The party was really nice and the videa was alright, but I felt awkward in the room. Typically, these girls were known to be the "partiers" and that just wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Lane was next. I knew I loved this group already. I loved their philanthropy and the girl who picked me up was super cute and sweet. I loved their video, but the only downside was that all the members were talking super loud and I could barely hear when whomever was talking to me.

next was Emily. I already knew I did not fit in with these girls. They are known on campus for being kind of mean and too perfect. I did not want to join a sisterhood where I did not feel free to express myself. The girl who picked me up started asking me questions about personal stuff. like, specific questions. It was really really weird and awkward. I did not click with any of the sisters. They seemed sweet but it didn't seem like they wanted me, so I wasn't too concerned.

My next party was Lorelai. I had known a lot of the girls from this chapter through work. They all were really nice. Also, they were known for having the closest sisterhood on campus. I thought I would really like them. I thought their cheers were cute, but the girl who picked me up freaked me out. They were a smaller chapter so they had me and another girl talking to one sister at a time. I couldn't hear most of the time. Also, their brochure just wasn't as nice as most of the others. However, I liked the last two girls I talked to. They were sweet and I knew one of them from a summer program we had both attended.

Sookie was my next party. I knew several of their members from different programs and a few from high school. They were super nice and I loved the history behind this sorority. I really loved the way they had done their party. Each sister decorated a chair that the PNM sat in. The girl I remember talking to was nice, but she wore too much eye shadow which wasn't too bad, but instead of talking to me, right after I sat down she said " do you have questions?" and I just sat there racking my brains. awkie

finally, I went to Miss Patty. A girl from my high school was in this sorority, however she was on Pan exec and disaffiliated. However, I knew I did not want to be her sister. She was not too nice to me. ever. Also, these girls are sometimes nice to everyone, but have a tendency to be mean to the other greek groups that they do not feel are on their level. I loved the president and the girl I spoke to, but I just wasn't sure about the group as a whole.
so finally, my group headed back to the pan building to do our lists. we didn't have to rank them, but we had to list which five we would like to go back to most.
I chose
Rory
Lane
Sookie
Babette
Miss Patty

so I cut Lorelai and Emily.

Last edited by sairston1874; 01-08-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I wonder if our excitement has anything to do with "1874", violet pretty??
Of course, why the , though?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

just a funny little "of course that's one reason we're excited" smiley.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

This sounds like it's going to be a good story.
More, More!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

im likin it so far
Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

ok, I just got off work when I was not scheduled and now I can go on to round 2!

so, I was super excited to get back to the pan building the next day at 5 before the next parties. I was sure I would get back to at least 4 of the houses I ranked. So, when I got there, Sasha was not there, however, her partner was and she was handing out party schedules. finally, she handed me mine.
when I opened it, I was sorely disappointed. I had only been invited back to three houses. Lane, Rory, and Lorelai had all invited me back.
I called my mom to let her know only 2 of the houses I ranked invited me back, and that Sookie, one of my favorites, had cut me. ( I learned after recruitment that if you asked the sister less than 8 questions, they cut you)
however, after talking to my best friend, I found out she had gotten back to the same houses as me, but also Sookie. She said not to worry. We would end up where we belonged.

I was so ready to get to the parties and get to know some of the sisters better and know their philanthropies a little better, since it was philanthropy night.

My first party was Lane. I already loved their philanthropy. I had been involved with part of it before I went through recruitment. We went into the house and stephanie, from the night before picked me up and told me how happy she was to see me back. We then started making cards for part of their philanthropy. I felt like I really clicked with all the girls I met and truly felt at home there.

My next party was Rory. I didn't know a whole lot about their philanthropy. I was looking forward to learning about it. Their national organization actually has a video that they are supposed to play during philanthropy night. It seriously made me cry. I thought what they were doing was amazing. I talked to the same girl the whole time, with 2 girls dropping by, just to say "hi". The visors we made didn't seem to have anything to do with their philanthropy,

Finally, my last party was Lorelai. I hadn't liked it very much the first night, but I was excited to go back and try to get to know some other girls better. The girl who picked me up, Faith was really cute and enthusiastic. We talked about theatre, which I love and then I got to see one of the girls from the day before who I already knew. I knew a little about their philanthropy. I also liked the craft we did, which was make flower pens to be sold.

Luckily, the next night had a 3 party max and I did not have to cut anyone. thank goodness because I had loved different aspects of each organization

Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm pulling for Lane
Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really pulling for Lane as well!

When I was a Rho Gamma one of our chapters showed a video about their philanthropy that was definitely tear inducing-I felt silly being the Rho Gamma at the back of the room quietly crying haha.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Time for an update!