GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,210
0 members and 2,210 guests
No Members online

Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Too Much or Too Little Experience

:rant:

I am seriously frustrated. I used to teach but got burned out after years of dealing with the school politics, bad principals, nightmare children, and their horrendous parents. The last straw was having my right shoulder dislocated and bite marks up and down my arm by an 8 year old child.
The past year, I have been working as a marketing and office manager for my sisters real estate investment company. I dislike this job too.

I don't particularly relish the thought of going to work in either of these fields again but don't have any experience outside of these fields. I feel like my degree's are useless too. My degrees are in Education and Speech Communications. What else can I possible do with these degrees?
I hate being stuck in this rut of I HATE MY JOB!
I've been looking for something new but find that I either have too much experience or too little for most jobs out here in CA. ARGH! I never figured I'd be on the market for a career change but looks like I was wrong.

/end rant
Old 07-10-2006, 05:30 PM

LOL, I thought this was going to be a sex thread. I guess I should have checked to see what forum it was in.

I'm in the same rut, I've been at this job for - holy crap - almost 9 years and I hate the whole field. The only good thing is when I finally quit I can give a no holds barred exit interview since I never want to work in this industry again.

The main thing I have experience in is retail, and while there are parts of it I do like, there are parts of it I detest (like the customers, ha ha). I just feel like people will look at my resume and say I have to be in one of these fields. No matter all the "you will have 10 different careers in your lifetime" stuff that gets bandied about these days, when you go to interview it sure doesn't seem like anyone is thinking that way.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

Before I can try to help you, I need more information. Can you tell me what you're good at? Are you a good writer? What exactly was involved in your "speech communication" degree?

From the limited amount of info you list here, I wonder if public relations would be a good fit?

As for speech communications... would you consider coaching executives and CEO's in public speaking? Or media training? (training execs how to deal with the media?)

What about teaching in college?

You need to find something that makes you excited to go to work every day.. something that you love doing. If you had unlimited talent, training, and ability.. what would be some of your dream jobs?

I love what I do. I'm a broadcast journalist. I also took a hobby (judo) and turned it into a second profession.

My friends joke that by day, I'm Clark Kent and at night.. I run into the nearest phone booth and change into my judo gi to become Super Sensei. LOL!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

try looking into nonprofits or associations, most national groups hire "education" or "credentialing" staff. a GREAT search engine for these jobs is careerhq.org; and most associations that are looking to hire someone will actually take the time to TALK to applicants before & after the interview - so you can see if you'll be a good fit for their team.

good luck!