GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,292
2 members and 2,290 guests
Mooch279, Xidelt

Old 01-11-2002, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

We've Got Spirit

I just got finished reading this book, and I'm curious to know about one of the cheerleaders that was highlighted. She went to University of Louisville, then (I think) she transferred to Morehead State. Her name is Shawnda Bates, and I'm curious to know if she pledged a GLO. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2002, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
Hey! I don't know if she pledged a GLO or not...but I just wanted to say that I loved that book!!!

What did you think of it?! When I read it, it brought me right back to my own HS cheerleading days!
Old 01-11-2002, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I think we have aa DG on Greek Chat that was a member of that high school's squad....
Old 01-11-2002, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never read this book but I was just browsing the sight and I noticed that the girls name was shawnda and that is my name spelled the same way. I thought that was neat you don't find a whole lot.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amycat412
I think we have aa DG on Greek Chat that was a member of that high school's squad....
You're right, Amy! Her GC name was/is "RachDG" and she is a Delta Gamma at Morehead State in Kentucky. I remember she mentioned it once in a thread. I haven't seen her on here in quite awhile, though.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

SisterPlum: I *loved* the book! Even though I'm supposed to be studying for comps, I read the entire book in one evening! It seems that everyone (including me before this book) assumes that just because they're an outstanding squad, they have unlimited financial resources and come from these amazing privledged backgrounds. The cultural info on the area gave me an insight to the book that was really helpful to understanding why these girls are so driven. Oh Gawd, I just love cheerleading!
Old 01-12-2002, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey girls
I just wanted to reply to this bc it brought a little smile to me face.
I cheered my first three years in college, co-ed, we cheered year round basketball(men and women football, and College Nationals in Daytona beach. It was a ton of work, especially keeping trim, but it gave a lot of good memories. And I had a chance to see Louisville all girls and coed perform(although they lost the last year I was there, and had to burn their pre made champion 10 yrs in a row on the beach that they had made) They are a ton of talent though.
I am not cheering this year though(my 4th yr, I have way too much work now)
But I just wanted to send love to all my fellow cheerleading greek sisters!
I have never read this book, Ill have to look into it now.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I just ordered the book (used; $3.50!!) off amazon and I can't wait!!

I was a cheerleader in high school-- but we were more dance oriented than gymnastics oriented. Fierce battle of dance squads in my city though and we always placed in top 3. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work-- I cheered all 4 years and that meant being at school at 6am for 2 hour dance practices before school, 1 1/2 hour tumbling practice after school and 5 days a week for 4 hours a day all summer.

When I got to USC, I went to Song girl tryouts--after a couple of days, I was all, OMG, enough is enough, do I want to do this again? And I dropped. lol Kinda wish now I hadn't, but oh well!
Old 01-12-2002, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes amy I know exactly what you mean
College cheering was/is much more tumbling and stunt oriented than high school.(High school was a lot more fun though, you could be more of an individual, and it was more of a good time(hard work, but different) I swear I tumbled more in college for cheerleading than I did as a gymnast(and I was a level 10 gymnast)
I want to get that book!
I reminisse(sp?) about high school cheering all the time, I wish I could go back
Old 01-12-2002, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Its funny, cause I've been out of high school for, YIKES, 15 years this year, and just recently I've started to have dreams that have revolved around cheer practice-- too funny!

USC's squad is not gymnastic at all. Its all dance.
I was not a strong tumbler--too tall-- good dancer and limber as hell though! haha
Old 01-12-2002, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Hehehe...yeah, I reminisce about hs cheering too. I grew up with all of the girls who I cheered with, and we had a ball! College cheering is so different... We're all so stressed about life in general that practice can be tiring before we even start! Sometimes cheering is hard around recruitment....we all get so close, and then it's like there is this unspoken competition b/w the upperclassmen to get the freshman in our house. It's nuts
Old 01-12-2002, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Moxie,
What year are you? Do you guys(girls) go to Daytona? I wonder if I have seen you before
Old 01-13-2002, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

deltajas: No, you have never seen me at Nationals. Our school "doesn't have the money" to let us compete. I'm a senior, so this is my 4th year, and we're an all-girl squad of 12.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
I really wish I could get back into cheerleading here, but I don't think it's gonna work out. I'm going to be attending FSU in the fall (I'm at Tallahassee Community College right now) and FSU has 2 squads...a co-ed one, which I'd never make (I'm 5'8", 140.....not top material...I'm terrified of heights....I'm a base baby!) and an all-girl squad, which I also don't think I'd make.....I'm not good at gymnastics at all....which every cheerleader here in FL seems to be experts at!!!! I may see what the requirements are for the all-girl squad....I really miss cheering! I cheered at my old university in Canada for 2 years and it was so much fun! We never went to any comp's....just cheered football and basketball, had some clinics for the hs's, and did some performances at hs comp's.....but we were trying to get to NCA nationals in Daytona (unfortunately our school wouldn't sign the necessary papers...they considered us a "club" rather than a varsity team and wouldn't let us go! )
Hopefully I'll get back into it somehow....maybe I can look into coaching here in Tally!
Old 01-13-2002, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey girls
Yeh our school did not give us any help either, even though we worked so hard for them, yet expected us to always be the perfect little cheerleaders, thankfully though we hold a spirit challenge each year for all the squads from all stars to high school, we judge, set up, clean up, and perform. Its a lot of work, but it gave us just enough to go to nationals each year, so moxie I feel your pain
Sisterplum, I know for my squad requirements were at least a standing backhandspring(and I know down south they are more), funny too I was the most experienced gymnast, yet the secoond tallest on my squad at 5'5. But your weight seems pretty thin to me for your height, you should look into professional cheerleading, I was going to last year, but did not have the time although maybe next year. They are more into dance, and your height could be an advantage. Good luck!