GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,928
0 members and 1,928 guests
No Members online

Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

junior rushing, what are my chances? (really need help..)

hello everyone, i have read some of posts here about soph/junior rushing but I was wondering if anyone could give me more advices in my situation.
I am going to be a junior, but i actually transferred into the school last fall my sophomore year. I did not really think about rushing for a sorority till probably at the end of the school year this past year. The thing is I don't have recs, and i don't have much connections in the sororities. As of right now I don't really know which sorority I'd like to be in but I don't have any recommendations since I decided on doing this late..and my GPA isn't too hot. I go to school in Texas..feel free to shoot me some pointers. and If anyone is willing to recommend me to someone for recs please PM me. Thank you!

Last edited by llama788; 07-25-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama788 View Post
hello everyone, i have read some of posts here about soph/junior rushing but I was wondering if anyone could give me more advices in my situation.
I am going to be a junior, but i actually transferred into the school last fall my sophomore year. I did not really think about rushing for a sorority till probably at the end of the school year this past year. The thing is I don't have recs, my GPA is around 2.8 and i don't have much connections in the sororities. As of right now I don't really know which sorority I'd like to be in. I do have some sense about a couple of them but I don't have any recommendations since I decided on doing this late..and my GPA isn't too hot. I go to school in Texas..feel free to shoot me some pointers. and If anyone is willing to recommend me to someone for recs please PM me. Thank you!
Snowball's chance in a catscanner?

Seriously though, you might want to consider focusing on your academics. Though I love Alpha Gam, I went to university to get an education. Anything else is extra. Also, being that you're asking about going through recruitment, you shouldn't have an idea which sorority you want to be in (Open Mind!!).

There are many, many, many threads on Texas schools on the forum. Read through them!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! I understand what you are saying and I am definitely working on my academics right now. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

When is recruitment? Have you registered with panhellenic? It may be too late for recs.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am going to be a junior, but i actually transferred into the school last fall my sophomore year. I did not really think about rushing for a sorority till probably at the end of the school year this past year. The thing is I don't have recs, and i don't have much connections in the sororities. As of right now I don't really know which sorority I'd like to be in but I don't have any recommendations since I decided on doing this late..and my GPA isn't too hot. I go to school in Texas..feel free to shoot me some pointers. and If anyone is willing to recommend me to someone for recs please PM me. Thank you!
Quote:
Thank you! I understand what you are saying and I am definitely working on my academics right now. Thanks again!
Quote:
hi! thank you! I'm thinking MAYBE ChiO or AXObut I'm not too sure myself right now because I don't really know all the sororities well. I'm facing a lot of problems (like being a junior, having bad GPA..) right now which is also making me hesitate to actually do the recruitment..
Quote:
Hello there! I have till the 2nd week of August to decide on recruitment. Yeah I'm definitely not going to focus on just two sororities! I am actually really open minded to all sororities, those two sororities I have mentioned in my previous post are ones I've learned more about these days but I'm definitely looking forward to learn more about all sororities. I am certainly looking forward to join the right sorority for me! Thank you for your comment!
Quote:
thanks for everyone's comments! I'm definitely going to keep an open mind going into recruitment. I'm all for finding the right sorority to join for me I heard recruiting is very competitive at my school and I have no recommendation letters at this point. Right now I think all things are against me, except that I really don't want to walk away from this, (something that may have been right for me), and regretting never having tried it out.
Quote:
well hello! i am a rising junior who is trying to recruit for sororities this upcoming fall! i am pretty skeptical about my situation right now but i really wanna give it a shot!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
Snowball's chance in a catscanner?

Seriously though, you might want to consider focusing on your academics. Though I love Alpha Gam, I went to university to get an education. Anything else is extra. Also, being that you're asking about going through recruitment, you shouldn't have an idea which sorority you want to be in (Open Mind!!).

There are many, many, many threads on Texas schools on the forum. Read through them!
You're adorable, Canadian sister with your canada-isms.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, agzg I never realise how Canadian I actually sound until it's typed out

Ps. I live for your posts. You've made me lol more times than I can count
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed with a similar situation, but I went through informal. My grades were decent, though. I transferred my sophomore year, but waited until my Junior fall to go through recruitment. My school is one of those on the sticky that you absolutely have to have recs to, apparently.

I didn't know anyone or have recs, but I made it work through other means. If you decide to go through with recruitment, you need to ask yourself why you waited so long to be interested in Greek life. I had that question asked to me multiple times as to why I didn't rush the previous semester during formal recruitment.

I hate to break it to you though, if your grades aren't "that hot" without Greek life, chances are your grades are going to drop even more with the time commitment that is required from New Members. I know that my GPA dropped a bit when I joined, but I brought it back up the next semester since I was an initiated sister and I knew the difference between what is absolutely required & non-mandatory social events that you can survive not going to and using that time to study instead.

Last edited by stargirl007; 07-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
I rushed with a similar situation, but I went through informal. My grades were decent, though. I transferred my sophomore year, but waited until my Junior fall to go through recruitment. My school is one of those on the sticky that you absolutely have to have recs to, apparently.

I didn't know anyone or have recs, but I made it work through other means. If you decide to go through with recruitment, you need to ask yourself why you waited so long to be interested in Greek life. I had that question asked to me multiple times as to why I didn't rush the previous semester during formal recruitment.

I hate to break it to you though, if your grades aren't "that hot" without Greek life, chances are your grades are going to drop even more with the time commitment that is required from New Members. I know that my GPA dropped a bit when I joined, but I brought it back up the next semester since I was an initiated sister and I knew the difference between what is absolutely required & non-mandatory social events that you can survive not going to and using that time to study instead.
Thank you for your response! I'll definitely think this whole thing over. thanks again!