GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,880
0 members and 1,880 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2002, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this true?

I found this comment about Purdue Univ. on another forum:

"Remember its PU go north till you smell it - go west till you step in it."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

We say that about Clemson.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:16 PM

Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I found this comment about Purdue Univ. on another forum:

"Remember its PU go north till you smell it - go west till you step in it."
Which HS site did you find that remark?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure where that came from, but I have heard that kind of comment before. West Lafayette is said to be a very smelly town. It is something in the air. I have not visited Purdue personally, but the thing I hear most is that it smells kinda bad. But, that is just what I have heard from people who have visited there. It may not even be the case...got me!
Old 07-19-2002, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, this is really goofy, but...I've always wondered where the phrase "p.u." comes from -- you know, when you smell something really bad and say "P.U.!!"

Does it come from Purdue University??!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Zeta had their leadership conference at Purdue last year. I was there for a couple of days and didnt notice a smell at all. Of course, I have major sinus problems, so that may be the reason I didnt smell anything.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up tsk..tsk...tsk

as a purdue graduate, i can vouch for the air quality...
let's roam away from the high school jokes, if we can.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via AIM to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiAshley
no way

i just came back from a leadership conferance in at Purdue, and i can vouch for the lack of bad smells.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down HEY NOW!

Listen up, Hoosier... don't be starting any IU/Purdue friction.

Though I can vouch that SOMETIMES it smells bad in West Lafayette, it's mainly because of the Wabash River. (Something weird is going on in the Wabash.)

And of course, you might run into that "fertilizer" smell if you're on the ag part of campus. Don't blame that on us, we're in the state of Indiana. What do you expect?

And no... "PU!" did not originate because of Purdue University. Think of how many other universities begin with a P. I'm sure that isn't where it started.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up LMAO...absurd

That has been said about FSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Miss. State. A Hoosier took that and changed it to Purdue given the rivalry. How original of him to do.

Of the schools, only Miss. State's campus actually smells. Trust me, no one leaves Starkville (aka Starkghanistan) with the thought that it's a 'pretty little town'.

I've driven in Tippecanoe County before, although never have been to the Purdue campus. I have no complaints about the area. It's south Indiana (mainly Evansville and Jeffersonville) that are the pits.

And before any Hoosier tries to attack Fayetteville, go to www.forbes.com and look up the Top 25 Cities to live in the US (over 250,000 metro area). We're in there... the UA isn't in some rural area or is an ag school

WPS
Old 07-20-2002, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm...

Actually we say that about Purdue (at IU). In fact, its a t-shirt you'll often see at sporting events.

Purdue University is is northwest (off of I-65 North) of Indiana University so those directions actually work.

Also, Purdue has an agrictultural school, so maybe that has something to do with it. I know that Purdue's campus is not known for being aesthetcially pleasing (well...compared to IU's beautiful campus).

Academically its a great school though!

XP2k
Old 07-20-2002, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen the same thing said about IU, actually, and I go to Purdue. I remember seeing a t-shirt in one of the stores that said "How to find IU...go south til you smell it, east til you step in it." As other people have said, I can imagine that any college with a big rivalry against another school has some saying along the same lines. It's pretty childish, actually. I have nothing against IU, I think it's a really good school, and definitely strong greek-wise. So there's my $0.02.