GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,151
1 members and 1,150 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I converted the list of Auburn PNMs into a spreadsheet (colorful of course--PM me with your email address if you want it) with columns for last name, first name, hometown, state, and chapter. I discovered:

1123 women received bids
539 were from Alabama (48%)
584 were from out of state (52%)

Per College Board, Auburn has 55% in state students and 45% out of state students.

Of those out of state women receiving bids:
455 were from the South (FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN TX)
129 were not from the South (AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, IA, IL, IN, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, PA, RI, UT, VA*, WA, WI, WV, Puerto Rico, and The Netherlands)

GA- 168
FL- 103
TN- 69
TX- 64
NC- 20
SC- 12
LA- 9
MS- 7
KY- 4
OK- 1

*While I am sure most people consider Virginia to be a Southern state, most of the women from Virginia were from Northern Virginia, so I grouped it as non-South.

VA- 24
IL- 16
CA- 14
MD- 13
MO- 9
NJ- 8
CO- 6
OH- 5
IN, MA, NY, PA- 3 each
MI, NV, UT, WI- 2 each
AZ, CT, DE, DC, IA, MN, NE, NH, RI, WA, WV Puerto Rico, The Netherlands- 1 each

All in all, there are 38 states, plus Puerto Rico and the Netherlands, represented in Auburn's 2011 Panhellenic New Members.

What's REALLY interesting is seeing which chapters took mostly Alabama women, and which have more out of state and out of South women. It's definitely NOT evenly distributed.

ETA: I made it a google document. View it here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...ZvRVE&hl=en_US

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-18-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome! Just goes to show that the greek life system at sec schools are for people outside the southeast as well.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder about the state distribution of women who withdrew from recruitment. The women receiving bids isn't exactly a cross-section of the student body, but it's close. I didn't realize Auburn had so many out of staters. I wonder if more women from Alabama withdrew that out of staters. If so, I'd think it's because out of state women are looking for a home away from home because they are less likely to come to Auburn with a bunch of friends, and they are less susceptible to hometown pressure to join one of a few "right" chapters. Even if a southern out of stater gets released from the "top" chapters, she's more likely to realize the value of joining an NPC sorority on a national level because they may have more knowledge about Greek Life. (i.e. XYZ might not be tops at Auburn, but it's big in my hometown and/or strong nationally).

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

violetpretty Thanks for the breakdown, it is very informative. I have twins applying to Auburn.(boy/girl) We are also OOS. I think the OOS numbers will start to decline as Auburn has lowered the amount of scholarships it will be giving OOS students starting in Fall '12.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that most of those girls who drop out of recruitment are probably from Alabama or another nearby state. They come in with a stronger idea of who "the best sorority" is and drop out when they don't get a bid from one of three or four chapters. I know a mom whose daughter was lucky enough to get a bid, but mom was upset because that group just wasn't big here in our Alabama town.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrianglepi View Post
violetpretty Thanks for the breakdown, it is very informative. I have twins applying to Auburn.(boy/girl) We are also OOS. I think the OOS numbers will start to decline as Auburn has lowered the amount of scholarships it will be giving OOS students starting in Fall '12.
The few times I've heard a boy/girl twins going greek, I've always thought that it would be cool if they went AEPi and AEPhi! OR, i guess, ADPi and ADPhi.

I'm shut up now.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
"bear down"? reminds me of birthing children!
Had to pop back in to offer an explanation along with a shared giggle, because when I first heard it I thought "what? WHAT? what does that have to do with beating another team?" It's a bittersweet story; there's a statue (a bust, actually) of John "Button" Salmon outside the football stadium. And there is a wildcat family statue that my dogs try to attack every time we're on the Mall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Down
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
The few times I've heard a boy/girl twins going greek, I've always thought that it would be cool if they went AEPi and AEPhi! OR, i guess, ADPi and ADPhi.

I'm shut up now.
Or maybe Alpha Chi Omega and Alpha Tau Omega!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamama14 View Post
Or maybe Alpha Chi Omega and Alpha Tau Omega!
I vote for Sigma Kappa and Kappa Sigma! The pairing always makes for a cute party shirt.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
I vote for Sigma Kappa and Kappa Sigma! The pairing always makes for a cute party shirt.

OK SisKap, You win!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think AEPi/AEPhi siblings are really common, just because they are both Jewish houses. I think I also knew more couples from those houses than any other pairing when I was in college.