GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,860
3 members and 1,857 guests
indygphib, naraht, Xidelt

Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok...so the new job wanted a decision today...but I think I'm going to call and ask for the weekend.

My current boss did beat the other offer, BUT still no benefits...(nothing she can do about that right now).

SO...my mom called me last night and told me that if I stayed at my current job that she would no longer babysit for my baby on Fridays and that she would charge us $100 more a month toword our mortgage (they technically own our house) because if I stayed and continued to work two jobs to support my family, I'm a bad mom.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

What does your husband think?

No offense toward your mom, but I hate it when moms try to do that crap. My mom tries to bribe me with financial stuff. Her latest angle is that if I go to law school in Florida, she'll pay for it.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

That's too bad, I'm sure it's not that she thinks you're a bad Mom. She is probably saying what she thinks will get you to make the decision she thinks is right.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIBrandi
That's too bad, I'm sure it's not that she thinks you're a bad Mom. She is probably saying what she thinks will get you to make the decision she thinks is right.
Exactly!

Like Peaches-n-Cream said YOU have to make the decision that is right for you and your family.

If you seek me with all your heart, you will find me. Deuteronomy 4:29
Old 10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I know its a hard situation, I am not going through the entirely same situation, but I can relate to the feelings of a smaller company and not wanting to let people down, or leave them in a bind. But the way I began looking at it was.. firstmy job is not paying me at all what I'm worth.. high stress level... I don't see the opportunity for advancement like I would wish for..

of course these were all things that I was told would be available.. but still have not seem any of them, but no company is going to tell you this when you are applying.

My thoughts think about situation.. go for the job you see taking you to the point you want to be at in your life. If this job is not getting you there, find one that will or ways to get there.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you get benefits through your husband and what would the cost difference be? I thought about this a little more and coming from a Social Work background, I know that certain jobs like in nursing homes and the like may not be all they are cracked up to be. There is a ton of bureacracy and shadiness that goes on, especially in institutionalized settings. Have you noticed anything remotely like that as of yet? That's the main reason I left my last job. I would have ended up a patient if I stayed any longer . I also do not have as good a benefits package, however, the sanity and independence was worth it to me. Keep us posted when you make your decision!!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in process of checking out benefits through my husband (he's been with his company for a year and refuses to look in on it).

Here's something else I just found out...the new job has ANNUAL raises at about 4%... The girl I work with just had her review and our boss said that she's going to start doing 6 month reviews and the other girl got 5%. Also, my boss said that she would do health insurance benefits on a percentage next year instead of a flat rate for everyone (currently the company pays $140 which no where comes near doing it for me).

I'm still VERY MUCH sitting on the fence, not knowing which direction to go.

On a side, but still related note, the current boss said that long-term, she's looking to retire and hire an assistant to take my job and I take her job...so there is KINDA someplace to go...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, I was just re-reading the thread from the beginning, and that seems like so much money to shell out monthly for health insurance (I assume it's probably more if you add husband/daughter). While you will probably still have to pay to add them if you take the new job, it may not be as much. Plus, yeah, she may retire, but who knows what could happen between now and then. If you really like this new place and it provides these great opportunities, and with the more you post, the more it seems like the logical choice to make. You have good experience and seem to be moving up the career ladder fairly quickly, so I wouldn't limit yourself. Try out this opportunity. You never know what other doors it may open. AND no one is saying that you can't start your own business one day either if that is the direction you choose to go in.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
If you take into account family deductions for health insurance, the new job's deductions are high, but not really horrible. I just reviewed my company's health plans, and a family of four would pay just short of what you'll pay.

Personally? I'd take the new job. When you figure in offered vacation and sick days (which ARE benefits, and quite honestly are good for your health!), plus a much more reasonable health care plan, you're making out far better salary wise in the long run.

Also-- as far as your current boss commenting on what direction she *wants* to go (the hiring, promotions, etc.), you can't let that determine your decision. That happened to me, where I was told a position was in development, and I was the only one for it. Only-- about six months later, the manager above my direct manager left, and the position development was scrapped. Anything can happen in the future.

Make all decisions as to what is currently *in position* at the companies. Is there a position open right now for you to move to in your current company? If not, then take the new job.

~ Melissa

Last edited by Measi; 10-28-2005 at 11:42 AM.