GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,592
1 members and 1,591 guests
haleyjuniroz689

Old 05-23-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs down Absolutely Ridiculous!

This was on the news and I had to share...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/det/ne...23-070512.html

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich.-- Administrators at a local high school ordered all yearbooks collected after students had already received them, but reportedly returned them with a picture cut out.

The snapshot in the Sterling Heights High School yearbook was of a Middle Eastern girl with her African-American boyfriend, Local 4 reported. She told school administrators that her parents do not know about the relationship and could not see them together.

A school official said that the girl indicated that the picture might be some cause for harm.

The publisher is now sending a new page that students can stick in their yearbook to replace the one that was cut apart.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Well now that everyone knows about it I'm sure her parents are going to find out about it...what's the point of replacing the picture?
Old 05-23-2002, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former yearbook editor...

I would be pissed. I would understand the concern for the girls safety, and oblige, but I would be pissed at the amount of energy and money that would have to be spent because this girl wasnt careful enough about keeping her secret. I can tell you it wouldnt have been a crowd shot - you couldnt tell then, it probably was a small group shot at a football game, or a couple shot. OK, so what did the dumb b**ch think they were going to do with the photo? The editor was just going to take it home and put it on his wall? Dont want anyone in your business, dont make it public, and most certainly, dont pose it for a photo.

We had a problem with this at chapter parties. People didnt like shots of them drunk. I laid down the law. Said, you show up, youre fair game. Dont want to be in a photo, dont go to the party and risk it. They do it at theme parks. (look at the signs when you go in, they tell you, by being there they can take a shot and use it in their advertising w/o compensating you.)

As for the yearbook. Several problems. Cost, you know they didnt get all the books collected, some books would get lost, not to mention the violation of privacy having the office staff read the inscriptions inside. Altering a book after printing renders it inellegible for award consideration by many state groups and most certainly the CSPA (Columbia Scholastic Press Association - the Grammys of HS Journalism)

Also, WTF, gluing in a new page. Its a book. Yes, a yearbook, but a book, you cant just "glue in" a new page. It will be all thick and stick out. Ugh. I'd just tear the whole daymn page out and be done with it. Outta make the stupid broad pay for it. Teach her ass a lesson to keep some things private.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
My senior year, there was this stupid bitch whose mommy didn't get her little perfect's senior farewell page submitted in time (you know, the one with pics of you when you were little and sappy crap like that). Anyway, we didn't get our yearbooks on time because she called Taylor Publishing and had them produce the page at her expense and then she came to the HS where the books were and glued the page into the back of everyone's yearbook. Ironically, mine was overlooked...I was the only person who didn't have to look at her sorry picture!

Sorry, I know that sounded mean, but come on...get a freaking life woman! You missed the deadline, pay the consequences! The world won't end without your kid's page in the book!
Old 05-23-2002, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hummm....tough one. I agree with everyone but it was for her safety...

Ronnie
Old 05-23-2002, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by BearyCuteAPhi
Yes, but don't you think by making it a school issue and it being mentioned on the news, she's more likely to be caught? Couldn't she just cut it out of her book and maybe her friends' books...? I mean, if the parents didn't know about it in the first place, it's not likely that they're going to randomly find the picture in the book of a stranger.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by BearyCuteAPhi

Ronnie
"May have been a safety issue"

also could be read . . .

"May have been embarrassing to her to have to discuss w/ very traditional mom and dad"

This is just bizarre - I can't even believe that something like this would come up. There's gotta be more to this - think about it: how are the parents going to find out if it's in the yearbook? Are they going through the yearbooks of other students?

Sounds a little wack to me . . . something's very weird here
Old 05-24-2002, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Come on lifesaver, don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think!
Old 05-25-2002, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I was an assistant editor and head photographer of my high school yearbook, and I would be hurt/pissed/upset if someone did this! The girl has problems. I agree...if she wanted to keep her relationship a secret, she shoulda hid the book or did something with the picture herself. It's not fair to the other students who have to have their yearbook altered or to the yearbook staff who have to have their work messed with. It takes so much time and effort to put just one page layout together, and that's real shitty that some dumb high school girl has to ruin it.

KLTC