GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,433
1 members and 1,432 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-15-2016, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I assure you that if a group really wants a woman, there are ways to get a signature on a rec.
DING DING DING!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello --
I'm a college admissions counselor and I'm confused! I strongly suggest that young women who are interested in Greek Life network to gain recommendation letters for chapters on the campus they will attend.

One of my students at Vandy was told during the recruitment information session early in the fall that recommendations weren't used at Vandy, so she didn't get any. She just (yesterday) received a bid to one of the sororities she was hoping to join. She's thrilled and I'm thrilled for her. As we had discussed, she maximized her options throughout every day of recruitment. Her parents are both immigrants and so she has no family connections with any of the groups.

In the first post on the thread, Vanderbilt is listed as one of the SEC schools where recs were a must. Why would they tell PNM's that they aren't used? Was she just lucky?

TIA.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

I know nothing about Vandy rush. I do know Vandy has several sororities that have national rules requiring a recommendation for each new member. Whether the recommendation arrives prior to rush, or an alum is in the back room signing a rec before the girl participates in the pledging ceremony, the girl will have a rec. I would continue to tell young women to get recs.

My daughter and I attended a meet the Greeks info session during her freshman orientation several years ago( not Vandy). The Panhellenic VP of recruitment told the group the recommendations had to come from chapter members/alums of that school only. I wanted to correct her for the sake of those who thought it was true, but did not want to mortify my daughter or ruin her chances in the fall. Even Panhellenic officers can be misinformed.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

No Panhellenic is going to tell you that recs are required. That's not their policy. They might say they're "strongly suggested" or "highly recommended," but not "get 'em or else."
Why?
Because it's not Panhellenic's job to do that. It's the sororities' jobs to get recs. And many chapters still do. It's just that recruitment has gotten so big at many places that it would be impossible for the chapters to solicit recs for every girl coming through. If half of them can get recs themselves, they're that much ahead.
But for the number going through recruitment at Vanderbilt - it's entirely possible that the chapters there managed to get recs on PNMs without the PNMs being aware of it. And yes, sometimes chapters do take girls with no recs - somebody just signs for them.

It's kind of like the girls who swear that only A, B or C sorority are worthy of their membership and lo and behold - they get a bid from A sorority. It happens.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 01-17-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you -- that helps. I'll continue to suggest recommendations.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went through deferred recruitment 4 years ago at a school on the "good to have" list. From the chit-chat I heard during her time as an active, I do think that members have a lot more to go on when recruitment is held second semester (first semester grades, personality/behavior, friends made, etc.) and the recs may not carry as much weight. However, they can't hurt, and if a national group requires one, it's good to provide it.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

And for some of these schools the helpfulness of the rec isn't so much for the week of recruitment. It is for earlier in the first semester so PNMs can get on the radars of the chapters. Some schools are smaller where everyone knows everyone (W&L perhaps?) but as the schools get larger it can be helpful to have that introduction to chapters- especially the ones who have to cut the most early in the week.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 01-17-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
And for some of these schools the helpfulness of the rec isn't so much for the week of recruitment. It is for earlier in the first semester so PNMs can get on the radar's of the chapters. Some schools are smaller where everyone knows everyone (W&L perhaps?) but as the schools get larger it can be helpful to have that introduction to chapters- especially the ones who have to cut the most early in the week.
FTW
Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
And for some of these schools the helpfulness of the rec isn't so much for the week of recruitment. It is for earlier in the first semester so PNMs can get on the radars of the chapters. Some schools are smaller where everyone knows everyone (W&L perhaps?) but as the schools get larger it can be helpful to have that introduction to chapters- especially the ones who have to cut the most early in the week.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! (It is very hard when I tell young women one thing and the folks at the college tell them something different. This will likely be the encouragement they need.)
Old 03-11-2017, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buniculus View Post
I'm going through recruitment at Cornell. Are recs needed there? They have deferred recruitment, so, when would I need to have everything in? I have no greek family members, so greek life will be new for me. From the looks of the FB pages, the groups have been on campus a long time, but there is little information on their greek life website about what is required.
QFP
Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Buniculus, you should send Longhorn Mom a PM. She is an authority on Cornell recruitment.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Missouri is SEC. Just sayin'.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-12-2017, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Not Big 12.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

What about Big 10 schools?
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterng!rl2 View Post
What about Big 10 schools?
Did you read any of this thread? Your answer is on the first page, and also on other pages
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity