GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,327
1 members and 1,326 guests
speedsters

Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW
If you want to take some intiative yourself, most, if not all, NPC sororities have a link that'll take you to a listing of their distinguished alumnae. I'd think content on an HQ's website can be considered official content.

Judging from earlier posts and visits to official HQ websites, you can rule out Sigma Kappa, Pi Beta Phi, and Kappa Delta. I can say and I know for sure that she's not an Alpha Gamma Delta either. You got 22 more to check out if you want.
20...she's not an AOII either.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

We can claim Jan Davis, but not Sally Ride.

19!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prunetacos
These are wonderful posts from lots of great people, but I still haven't found out about Sally Ride! Any Pi Phis out there who can confirm that she's in your organization? If you're not sure, no problem - I've loved all the comments! The ones about Betty Crocker and Aunt Jemimah were funny. BTW - did you know that Mrs. Campbell, of Campbell Soups was a Kappa? Next time you pop open a can of tomato or cream of mushroom soup, check out the fleur-de-lis!
- Prunetacos
Acutally Mrs. Campbell was most definitely not a Kappa. Nowhere in our history or database does Kappa claim her has a member. There is no "Mrs. Campbell" even. More likely, the fleur-de-lis on the label is a tie into the award the soup won at the 1900 Paris exhibition, the medal of which is also on the Campbell's soup labels.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Process of Elimination

Sally Ride....not a Chi Omega.

18!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

EDUCATION: Graduated from Westlake High School, Los Angeles, California, in 1968; received from Stanford University a bachelor of science in Physics and a bachelor of arts in English in 1973, and master of science and doctorate degrees in Physics in 1975 and 1978, respectively.
--------
For those who collect the Baird's books, what were the sororities present at Stanford from 1968 to 1973? Once known, that will narrow the field considerably.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum
EDUCATION: Graduated from Westlake High School, Los Angeles, California, in 1968; received from Stanford University a bachelor of science in Physics and a bachelor of arts in English in 1973, and master of science and doctorate degrees in Physics in 1975 and 1978, respectively.
--------
For those who collect the Baird's books, what were the sororities present at Stanford from 1968 to 1973? Once known, that will narrow the field considerably.
None. They returned in 1978.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Right, but she could have been initiated as an alum.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Right, since I mentioned Laurel, but not Sally, I think we've established that she's not a Gamma Phi Beta.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-16-2006, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Not an ASA

(Although the Teacher from October Sky is...the actual teacher from the true story, not the actress).
Old 08-16-2006, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks...and an apology

I've Googled "Sally Ride" and "sorority" and no specific sorority pops up, just the fact that she's a member. Most other famous people, their GLO comes right up. I owe an apology to the Ladies of the Golden Key. Wikipedia's entry for notable Kappas has listed Mrs. Campbell as an alum...guess not. Sorry, my mistake.
- Prunetacos
Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've Googled "Sally Ride" and "sorority" and no specific sorority pops up, just the fact that she's a member. Most other famous people, their GLO comes right up. I owe an apology to the Ladies of the Golden Key. Wikipedia's entry for notable Kappas has listed Mrs. Campbell as an alum...guess not. Sorry, my mistake.
- Prunetacos
It doesn't, and hasn't for quite some time. There are guidelines used by those who update the Wikipedia page on who constitutes as notable Kappas. Misinformation is usually quickly deleted or corrected.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BTW - did you know that Mrs. Campbell, of Campbell Soups was a Kappa? Next time you pop open a can of tomato or cream of mushroom soup, check out the fleur-de-lis!
- Prunetacos
Another Greek urban legend. methinks. Why think I so?

Joseph Campbell founded the company in 1869, one year before Kappa was founded. It didn't start making soup until 1897, but the suggestion and process for making soup came from John Dorrence, the nephew of the company's general manager. The can label was suggested by companty exec, Heberton Williams, who derived the red and white label from the Cornell football team. The gold medal on the can is an award from the Paris Exposition. (All of this info can be found at the Campbell website.)

One other thing -- when I googled, it appeared that every Kappa chapter site that mentioned this connection referred to Mrs. Campbell simply as "Mrs. Campbell." Seems like if she really was a Kappa, someone would know her first name. Also seems like she might be mentioned on Kappa's national site, which she is not.

The reality is that fluer-de-lis were common ornaments around the time that the label was designed, and someone probably realized that gold fluer-de-lis complemented the Paris Expo medal nicely.

ETA: Sorry. If I had kept reading I would have seen that this had already been addressed. But I will note that my google search turned up quite a few Kappa chapters perpetuating this Greek urban legend.

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-16-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
I will confirm that Sally Ride is not a Pi Beta Phi-- our recent issue of the Arrow had a feature that confirmed (or dispelled) myths about famous individuals who are/ were Pi Beta Phi members and the website has a complete listing. We'd be proud to claim Sally Ride, if she really was a member but she isn't.

Since someone else mentioned Suzanne Sugarbaker (you can feel free to duck if you so desire but I'm not throwing anything), she did say she is a Mississippi Beta Pi Phi... that is the chapter at Ole Miss. While she IS a fictional character, the show's use of a trademarked name and accurate identification of a chapter must have been with consent-- the reference is included among the 'facts'. Mrs Parker and Mrs. Wrigley were NOT Pi Phis... their husbands just liked arrows
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Local Honorary or service sorority?

I wonder if Sally Ride was a member of a local, honorary or service sorority(??) If she were in my GLO, I'd be telling the world!

Piece of trivia - Pat Schroder, congresswoman from Colorado who briefly had an "exploratory" run for President in the Democratic primaries of 1988, was a Chi Omega. (It's in her autobiolgraphy.) Does anybody know what Hillary Clinton was in? I've heard that Bill Clinton was an Alpha Phi Alpha, but not completely sure on that.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Bill Clinton is an Alpha Phi Omega.