GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,203
3 members and 2,200 guests
Cookiez17, oncegreek, Xidelt

Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

How NOT to be dismissed...

Because I'm a sorority member and know very little about Fraternity recruitment...would someone mind explaining to me what someone SHOULD wear for Rush parties???

My boyfriend and I have talked about it (because he is looking to rush) and both of us are clueless. He is looking at schools in the North. He is mainly looking at Ivy League and Big 10 Universities. Any help would be great!

1.) How should you dress/ what should you wear?
2.) What should you avoid wearing at all costs?

3.) Should he talk about the great community service he's helped my sorority with or should he completely not talk about that at all?

4.) Should he talk about military service?

5.) Should he talk about honors awards and having a high GPA or will the guys look at him like someone who only cares about academics and can't just chill?

6.) What are some great topics to discuss and what is considered "taboo"?

I've read through the other threads and I'm learning a little more as I go-like the "Walking a PNM out"...we are trying to avoid being "walked out"...How do you know if they just aren't into you? My bf is very reserved-not snobbish-just pretty laid back....I was just wondering....any advice (from women or men) would be great!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I would think that this would vary by school. Not all Big 10 schools are the same, and neither are all of the Ivies. The 2 conferences are also drastically different from each other.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Because I'm a sorority member and know very little about Fraternity recruitment...would someone mind explaining to me what someone SHOULD wear for Rush parties???

My boyfriend and I have talked about it (because he is looking to rush) and both of us are clueless. He is looking at schools in the North. He is mainly looking at Ivy League and Big 10 Universities. Any help would be great!

1.) How should you dress/ what should you wear?
2.) What should you avoid wearing at all costs?

3.) Should he talk about the great community service he's helped my sorority with or should he completely not talk about that at all?

4.) Should he talk about military service?

5.) Should he talk about honors awards and having a high GPA or will the guys look at him like someone who only cares about academics and can't just chill?

6.) What are some great topics to discuss and what is considered "taboo"?

I've read through the other threads and I'm learning a little more as I go-like the "Walking a PNM out"...we are trying to avoid being "walked out"...How do you know if they just aren't into you? My bf is very reserved-not snobbish-just pretty laid back....I was just wondering....any advice (from women or men) would be great!
I'll venture out and guess that he's probably somewhere around 23-25?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
I'll venture out and guess that he's probably somewhere around 23-25?
And you would be right...I know that PhiGam started a "Biggest Rush Mistakes" thread and it was GREAT but, it became too long when people started talking about discriminating or something...I just wanted a candid look at what should and should not be worn...what should and should not be said....

When he rushes he will probably be 25-26 (but, he served time overseas)...As a woman-I don't know much about what name brands you guys like to wear and what ones are considered stupid or lame. I noticed you guys talked about A&F and Hollister but, he owns a lot of Ralph Lauren and Chaps polos...He likes Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica tops, as well. Are Khakis okay (northern, mainly) and what kind of shoes???

Do guys look at "lables" the way some girls might? Would it be bad if he began talking to a girl at the rush events (if there are any there) and he mentioned his g/f was in a sorority-even if that NPC is not at his campus where he is now rushing??? Give me the good-bad and ugly-ANYONE can answer these...so, please feel free to discuss away!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And you would be right...I know that PhiGam started a "Biggest Rush Mistakes" thread and it was GREAT but, it became too long when people started talking about discriminating or something...I just wanted a candid look at what should and should not be worn...what should and should not be said....

When he rushes he will probably be 25-26 (but, he served time overseas)...As a woman-I don't know much about what name brands you guys like to wear and what ones are considered stupid or lame. I noticed you guys talked about A&F and Hollister but, he owns a lot of Ralph Lauren and Chaps polos...He likes Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica tops, as well. Are Khakis okay (northern, mainly) and what kind of shoes???

Do guys look at "lables" the way some girls might? Would it be bad if he began talking to a girl at the rush events (if there are any there) and he mentioned his g/f was in a sorority-even if that NPC is not at his campus where he is now rushing??? Give me the good-bad and ugly-ANYONE can answer these...so, please feel free to discuss away!
Depends on region.

I won't comment further because we know what kind of talk it'll turn into.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Yeah she has already said it is north.

The topic of dress is very vague, it depends on what kind of rush events he is going to and such things like that. You went to Penn St. so you should know better than us(the southern guys) as to what fraternities wear up there, I'm really not sure. And I sure can't tell you what kind of shoes because apparently boat shoes are not proper attire in the north. If there are girls there, he should show himself able to interact with girls and not act a complete ass, but on the other hand, he shouldn't devote the entire time to that either. But once again, different rush events call for different tactics.

I'll now step aside and hopefully the northern guys can tackle this one.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Being from the South, I cannot comment on attire either- but in the interests of being truthful, if blunt, the age issue is going to be the first hurdle to overcome.

There is much talk here about the southern houses and how "superficial" we are- but the fact is that applies at any campus with a strong Greek system. Any fraternity at any campus in high demand will have more candidates than it needs coming through as freshmen straight from high school- and so in that circumstance anyone who does not fit that standard life path is going to have a very hard time getting in.

The best advice I can offer is to have your friend visit the campuses where he might attend (or if he is still in service have someone visit for him) and just observe what Greeks are wearing. Look for letters and also look at who is coming and going from the top houses on those campuses.

Figuring out the right attire is not that difficult- but having to go to great effort to figure out the right attire at a competitive campus is in and of itself a bit of a warning sign because there will be little room for those not coming from a background where "they know" to succeed in rush.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GooniePDT49
Quote:
Yeah she has already said it is north.

The topic of dress is very vague, it depends on what kind of rush events he is going to and such things like that. You went to Penn St. so you should know better than us(the southern guys) as to what fraternities wear up there, I'm really not sure. And I sure can't tell you what kind of shoes because apparently boat shoes are not proper attire in the north. If there are girls there, he should show himself able to interact with girls and not act a complete ass, but on the other hand, he shouldn't devote the entire time to that either. But once again, different rush events call for different tactics.

I'll now step aside and hopefully the northern guys can tackle this one.
Just make sure he's not wear a plaad shirt, overalls, or a straw hat. I'd lose the chewing tobacco as well.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

He can't go wrong with a solid colored polo tucked into some khakis and nice casual shoes (either sperrys or cole haans).

Also, tell him not to get too drunk, but not to abstain completely.

As far as things to talk about, let the brothers steer the conversation or he may come across as bragging.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Even at PSU-I knew what the guys wore to class but, that doesn't help me with what they wore to rush. I know VERY little about it. I know how recruitment works for women-so, I'm used to that whol "structure" of things...

For rush, do you just stop by the house? When you talk about polos-can they be Nautica or Ralph Lauren? Some of these brands I have never heard of, so you'll have to excuse me. I am gonna' be honest and say I have no clue what "jorts" are either.....I'm guessing they are Jean-Shorts but, I'm not 100% sure.

Will age matter even if you have a great GPA and you're a very committed person? I joined my GLO for the same reason he is doing his-"sisterhood/ brotherhood" aspect and community service. He's not a bragger-so, you won't have to worry about that....Regardless of whether or not it's a North vs.South thing..I don't care-ANY advice from ANY person on here is great so, please feel free to add your 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
He can't go wrong with a solid colored polo tucked into some khakis and nice casual shoes (either sperrys or cole haans).

Also, tell him not to get too drunk, but not to abstain completely.

As far as things to talk about, let the brothers steer the conversation or he may come across as bragging.
Solid advice regardless of region. A polo and khakis would be safe anywhere. I completely agree about how to toe the line about his accomplishments; tell the brothers when they ask.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Even at PSU-I knew what the guys wore to class but, that doesn't help me with what they wore to rush. I know VERY little about it. I know how recruitment works for women-so, I'm used to that whol "structure" of things...

For rush, do you just stop by the house? When you talk about polos-can they be Nautica or Ralph Lauren? Some of these brands I have never heard of, so you'll have to excuse me. I am gonna' be honest and say I have no clue what "jorts" are either.....I'm guessing they are Jean-Shorts but, I'm not 100% sure.

Will age matter even if you have a great GPA and you're a very committed person? I joined my GLO for the same reason he is doing his-"sisterhood/ brotherhood" aspect and community service. He's not a bragger-so, you won't have to worry about that....Regardless of whether or not it's a North vs.South thing..I don't care-ANY advice from ANY person on here is great so, please feel free to add your 2 cents.
At Maryland, fraternities had a schedule of open house and invite only parties where interested men could stay for as long or as little as they pleased.

Nautica and Ralph Lauren are fine. I think the brand is less important than the "look". What these fratties dislike is the "trendy" polos (which happen to be popular with A&F, Hollister, etc) that have weird stuff on them, like a big logo, weird stitching, distressing, etc. A classic solid polo is what you want, regardless of brand.

Yes, jorts = jean shorts.

I think age will matter MUCH less for a guy rushing in the North than for a girl rushing in the South.

ETA: Using pictures and quoting SECDomination in another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
For me, one problem with Hollister and Abercrombie is that they shove their brand name down your throat. It's all over all their stuff. Look at the difference.

No way.

Much more acceptable.

Last edited by violetpretty; 05-24-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

as probably the only ivy league greek on this forum (and if there's another, feel free to correct me). I can assure you that for even Penn and Dartmouth, who have Greek systems far stronger than the rest, at most ivies, the greek systems are not very strong, or often somewhat underground (cough Princeton cough). As far as I know (and obviously I can't speak much about other Ivies) as long as you aren't dressed like a wacko, it really doesn't make a difference what you're wearing, and if it does, it won't be drastically different from the general campus culture for attire. It's more about who you are. Obviously what you wear is somewhat defining about you, but I think it's more about style than labels. A 2 button polo shirt and khakis (and actually other than our semi-formal bid party, I never wore khakis once during rush) from Ralph Lauren will be received in the same manner as the same outfit from the Gap. Also keep in mind that most Ivies have a spring rush, meaning that the brothers will be seeing/meeting you for an entire semester before rush even officially begins.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
boat shoes are not proper attire in the north.
Thats not entirely true, it depends on where in the north. Areas near the water tend to be perfectly fine for boat shoes.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
as probably the only ivy league greek on this forum (and if there's another, feel free to correct me). I can assure you that for even Penn and Dartmouth, who have Greek systems far stronger than the rest, at most ivies, the greek systems are not very strong, or often somewhat underground (cough Princeton cough). As far as I know (and obviously I can't speak much about other Ivies) as long as you aren't dressed like a wacko, it really doesn't make a difference what you're wearing, and if it does, it won't be drastically different from the general campus culture for attire. It's more about who you are. Obviously what you wear is somewhat defining about you, but I think it's more about style than labels. A 2 button polo shirt and khakis (and actually other than our semi-formal bid party, I never wore khakis once during rush) from Ralph Lauren will be received in the same manner as the same outfit from the Gap. Also keep in mind that most Ivies have a spring rush, meaning that the brothers will be seeing/meeting you for an entire semester before rush even officially begins.
Don't know about the men, but I know there are several Ivy League sorority alumnae who post here frequently.