GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,588
1 members and 2,587 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-07-2012, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Actually, I don't always have self-restraint! If this were not a close family situation, I'd jump right in. There are a few people who would think I was terrible if I hurt her feelings. They're not Greek so they don't get it. (Although my husband isn't Greek and he does get it.)

I was hoping that some of the people who first came up and commented on her DEF membership a couple of years ago would have said something to her by now. I mean, one is a DEF!

Those of you who know me IRL are probably surprised that I haven't fried her. I am too. And if I do, I'll never hear the end of, "Why couldn't you just play along? Why did you feel you had to expose her?"

Anyone who has ever been a member of just about anything should understand. I mean saying you are a member of athletic team would cause people to call you out. Isn't that often a theme in tv shows/movies? "Oh I'm a member of blah blah/on the team blah blah/work for blah blah." "Really wow that's interesting." Rest of the movie is person A trying to make lie work until person B figures it out and the relationship is ruined.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread was started in 2009 but 3 years later, DEF members haven't called this person out?

If not, why not? Especially the one you had check the DEF database.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

The DEF member in our family is wary of starting a huge family explosion--"why did you have to hurt D? Why couldn't you just play along?"

The DEF member who checked her out is a GCer who doesn't know her.

I wish I knew why some of the DEFs in town haven't said, "Look, ho..." (Probably because she's so @#! nice except for this.)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
And if I do, I'll never hear the end of, "Why couldn't you just play along? Why did you feel you had to expose her?"
That answer is super easy.

"Because I didn't want prospective rushees (possibly your daughters or their friends) to ask her for recommendations that she is not allowed to provide and hurt their chances at rush in the process."
Old 04-08-2012, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Just read through this thread. Wow. Makes me wonder if I know any perps.

Carnation, she may be a very lovely person, but I know I would be hurt if I'd worked hard to secure a recommendation--only to find out months later that the person lied about her affiliation and I didn't have a rec at all. Truth be told, there's someone who may never have sent my rec (she's definitely a member of the organization, and I can confirm that), and I haven't quite forgiven her for leaving me hanging like that.

I just feel like you have to pull her aside and say, "hey, D, I really feel that it's important that you clarify your involvement with DEF." It definitely doesn't need to be a public event, and maybe she doesn't realize the potential danger in her lie? Maybe she needs someone knowledgable like you to help her realize that this is not really worth lying about.

I just think that it's a potentially bad situation, evidenced by the fact that your daughter bought into it.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I do know the facts! She's definitely not a DEF. My daughter won't need a DEF rec because that group isn't at her college but I'm tempted to get her to ask D for one to see how she reacts.
Are you at the point where the only recs you're allowing your daughter to get are for Pi Phi? So you can finally get your legacy? :-P

But in all seriousness, good luck for another recruitment! Your daughter will be one of the most prepared PNMs in the country :-)
Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
Are you at the point where the only recs you're allowing your daughter to get are for Pi Phi? So you can finally get your legacy? :-P

But in all seriousness, good luck for another recruitment! Your daughter will be one of the most prepared PNMs in the country :-)
that would work if daughter was attending a school with a pi phi chapter,but alas, poor carnation will have to wait in the hopes that another daughter will attend a school that has pi phi!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

Maybe she's sorry she ever said it, is embarrassed and doesn't know how to get out of the situation. If she isn't actively perping or offering her rec writing services to unsuspecting PNMs, just let it go. Family and relationships are far more important than Greek life and forgiving the less than stellar behavior of our loved ones is kind.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
that would work if daughter was attending a school with a pi phi chapter,but alas, poor carnation will have to wait in the hopes that another daughter will attend a school that has pi phi!
I think you're just going to have to put your foot down. No Pi Phi; not allowed to attend.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ Like!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Bump for spammers.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hoping that the Perpster isn't at it again this summer.