GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,497
1 members and 1,496 guests
*winter*

Old 03-12-2002, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Fun Meetings?

Meetings are often feared and dreaded but . . .

For those chapters that have ever tried making meetings fun, once, more often, or all the time:

What have you tried?

How consistently?

And how well did it work?
Old 03-12-2002, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
We had Sister of the Week. It was an interesting way to break up the drudgery of meetings. The sister who had worked the hardest for the sorority received a little award. Also we had Secret Sister where one sister would give another sister a gift every week throughout the semester. Since the chapter meeting was the best place to find sisters, that's where a lot of us gave our gifts. It was fun to see what everyone received from their Secret Sister.
Every semester the pledges would 'kidnap' the sisters. They would bring food and throw a party once we had finished our meeting of course.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

We give awards at our weekly meeting as well. They range from "Phi-nomenal Phi" to "Funniest Phi." I think there are about 2-3 given out per week.

Also, every few meetings, we have a gift that we give away through a drawing. I have won twice. I won a super cute picture frame and a decorated badge box thingy.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to ADPiSweety
We have weekly awards in my chapter too. The scholarship chair gives out an award if you turned in your study hours on time and a special gift if you had the most study hours that week. We also have sister of the week, and Most memorable mama of the week. its pretty fun, a nice little moment to share good times.....
Old 03-17-2002, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We began each of our weekly meetings with roll call. When the secretary called your name, instead of saying "Present", everyone would say something positive. It could be anything like "I made an A on my test", "I get to see my parents this weekend" or (for those having a REALLY bad week) "I made it to this meeting on time". It was a great way to start the meeting on a positive note, and also find out a little something about your sisters as well.

We also had awards that the scholarship chair would give out for good grades, not skipping classes, etc.

(I must add that the roll call was done with only about 30 members. Doing that with 100 members would take a long time, but also be very enlightening!)
Old 03-17-2002, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter used to give out this really funny poster that was on a piece of thick tagboard. It had a really cheesey picture of some guy in a swimsuit on one side, with the title "Mr. Right". On the other side it had a similar picture but with a devil mustache and horns, titled "Mr. Wrong". At the end of chapter you could nominate yourself or someone else for either "award", and whomever had the best story got to keep the board for the week.

We also had "bent arrow" awards, where people would tell a story about something funny that someone did during the week.

Chapter was also when the VP Mental (scholarship chair) passed around the Skippy Jar (an old Skippy Peanut Butter Jar). If you had not skipped any classes for the week, you put your name in the jar, and you were awarded "study bucks", which you could then turn in for prizes during the last chapter of the semester.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Some things that have worked:

Doing a brother of the week - you can make it as funny or serious as you want, but it's something interesting. Also, handing out awards for the guy who did the dumbest drunk thing (Lush Medal) and assorted other funny awards help.

Little surprises - maybe have pizza and soda at one chapter, something along those lines. It's small, doesn't cost much, but it's a little bonus that gets things off on the right foot.

Collin
Old 03-17-2002, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tridgirl
We do all the usual skippy jar, ABCD which stands for above and beyond the call of duty where you give and anonamous (sp?) shout out to someone who did something for you, tale tale where you "told" on someone you saw doing something good for you or others, and sharing time at the end of meetings where you have everyone who wants to share something with the chapter stand up and talk, it can last for a while, but its worth it to know what is going on with your sisters. The funniest thing I ever heard of was from a Phi Sig where he said at chapter meetings they had a blender with a rope tied to it and at the end of the meetings they had a competition for who did the biggest social blunder, get it blender blunder, cute, but a lil harsh definately better for the frat mettings.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

We would periodically tape money - $5, $10, $20 - to the underside of the chairs, and whoever was sitting in it got the cash at then end of the meeting. This helped increase attendance a bit, and for the most part, the guys who won the cash would turn around and either donate it for whatever community service project was going on, or use it to pay a bit of dues.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I once dated a guy whose company used to give out the "Geek of the Week" award. The award consisted of a pocket protector with the slogan "Geek of the Week" stocked with pens and pencils. If an employee did something doofy during the week, they come into work on Monday morning to find the pocket protector on their desk. My friend, a sweet but clumsy kinda guy, found the award on his desk quite often. On one occasion, he put a can of Diet Coke in the lunch room refridgerator to cool it down quickly. However, he accidentally forgot about it. It exploded.

......Kelly
Old 04-01-2002, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter is small so we can take the time to do this but durring attendance as each sister's name is called they get to say one thing. Each week the secretary thinks of something new. Sometimes it's one fun thing you did over the weekend or something nice about the sister to your right. It's a nice way to start the meeting and take care of some of the urge to chit-chat right off the bat.

~Emily
Old 04-01-2002, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Star Turtle
our meetings...

after all the business is over, and everything is taken care of - we can do several things, depending on the mood of the chapter

everyweek, without fail, we do a rose (active) and a petal (new member) of the week. sisters can nominate a sister for any reason, and can choose whether or not to share that reason with the chapter.

for example - i was nominated as petal (new member) for driving everyday because i was the only pledge who commuted, and i was still at every single event 15 minutes early (though i thought that was the whole point of pledging)

we also do a good & bad sometimes - if it was a shorter meeting - this gives every sister in attendance an opportunity to share a good & bad thing that happened in the week.

we also have a sunshine jar. this is just a candy jar that is passed from one sister to another for any reason (only done if the jar is remembered - twice since i've been a member)

we also tape a prize (usually a coupon for dinner or something) under a chair, and at the end of a meeting, that sister can stand up and share a favorite memory, or why she pledged, something along those lines.

like i said we don't do all of these at every meeting - usually just rose & petal of the week, and the prize

that's what we do
Old 04-12-2002, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PowderASU
When I was pledging first semester, there was a "Lambda Lotto". Basically, you got one raffle ticket for every dollar you put in the put. Whoever had their ticket number called off,would win half of the pot and the rest would go to a house pot. At the end of the year, the house would spend the money that it earned over the year on something fun like a ping-pong table or buy supplies like paint, wood, etc.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTASmash
Although I am a new member... I've never dreaded meeting! Some things my chapter does to keep that from happening:

Zesty Zeta- Sister of the week type thing. She wins the best parking spot in the house lot for the week

Yippity Skippity Jar- If you didn't skip that week you get to enter. A winner is drawn and gets cool Zeta stuff.

Sunshine Box- My favorite Everyone gets lots of little papers and you just write notes. At the end of meeting every note is written out loud. It ranges from welcome new members.. yay for intramural wins.. or just funny inside jokes maybe a few people will get

We also have dinner themes every so often. Disco dinner, everyone had to wear something from the disco era.

I think meetings can be as fun as you make them. I don't live in the house so its basically a time for me to get to know the sisters better and just be around for the fun sisterly atmosphere!

Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Creed
Old Business
New Business
Officer Reports
Announcements (making fun of somebody generally for what they did this weekend. Awards are given out the "Boot" award for whoever puked the most that weekend, the so-called "Drew" award for whoever was the biggest drunk belligerent fool that weekend.)