GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,509
0 members and 1,509 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Puzzle Theme! Phi Beta Chi :)

Hi ladies!
IDK how it works in your sororities but for mine, every chapter votes on the semester's theme and then the winner is the one everyone does. Somehow, puzzles was chosen as our theme and we are searching for ideas for our Bid Party and a few more activities for Rush Week. Any ideas from you guys would be great!

Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

back in the dark ages, one of the sororities i visited on the very first day of recruitment, handed each of us pnms a felt piece as we walked in the door. after the typical visiting that goes on at a recruitment party, we were seated in their dining room and each pnm was invited to come up, one by one, to place our felt piece on the felt board-think puzzle.i believe that we were expected to say our name, hometown and what dorm we lived in as we stood before the group. i don't remember what the completed puzzle looked like or what it depicted-the only thing i remember is that it made me feel very uncomfortable(and i don't think that i was the only one) and i did not accept their invitation to the next round of parties. this might work for your bid day, though. your new members will feel more comfortable with your chapter than random pnms on their first day of recruitment.

your bid day theme could be-"you're the perfect fit" or something like that.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember specific activities, but I do remember that abid day shirt had puzzle pieces with the caption "Individually unique . . . together complete." I thought that was a creative way to honor everyone's differences but celebrate bid day at the same time.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

^^ that's cute.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

An icebreaker that I've done is called "Comic strip confusion". Find online numerous comic strips (obscure ones that people might not be able to recognize), and print them out (in black and white to make things more difficult). Make sure you have two copies. Take one copy of each and cut out the individual frames or pictures. Mix them up and put them in a bag.

Go around the room and have everyone pick out one of the pictures, but tell them not to look at it until you say so. When you say "go", everyone has to look at their picture, and find all of the other people who have frames from the same comic strip. Once they do that, they have to put all of the frames in order. The team who does this the fastest, wins.

*Use your second copy of the comic strip to make sure they have it correct. And try to be sure that all of the comic strips have approximately the same number of frames. Otherwise, it won't be fair!

Oh, and this can also be done with actual puzzles, but it might be hard to find smaller ones with the exact number of pieces that you need. Unless of course you had something like 100 people, and 5 puzzles with 20 pieces each. Anyway...

Hope this helps

@~/~~~~
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as rush week activities, you could have some sisters talk about how your sorority was the "missing piece" in their life, and then share a story of sisterhood.