GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,191
3 members and 1,188 guests
LarryByday, Low D Flat

Old 08-29-2014, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou actual numbers?

What were the actual recruitment numbers (by chapter) at Mizzou?

Last edited by AGDAlum; 08-31-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: clarification
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that's accurate, because here's the cover photo of Mizzou Phi Mu:

Looks like a lot more than 29 to me.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting the Phi Mu picture clemsongirl!

Quota was 90 and Phi Mu matched 93. My information is that all 93 attended bid day.

Congratulations to Chi chapter!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 PM

Tri Sigma matched 68. As far as I know, they are the only chapter that didn't match to quota. I have no information on how many accepted. I am really pulling for them to make it there. I wonder if their house is hurting them. I don't think it fits at that campus at all.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If I can clear through the rumor as I understand it, Mizzou was pretty clicquey for a long time and it held back their growth. They seem to have gotten that under control to great success. So they have one chapter left to get there, but I'm confident it will happen. And let's be clear that 68 is not a small pledge class. They can on-board these girls, take a 2nd fall pledge class if they want, have a strong spring informal and be right where they want to be. I've seen chapters make larger strides in that period of time.

For those girls who dropped out of rush or didn't know if the sorority thing was for them, think about giving this chapter a shot. They're not going to be the small chapter forever.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Tri Sigma matched 68. As far as I know, they are the only chapter that didn't match to quota. I have no information on how many accepted. I am really pulling for them to make it there. I wonder if their house is hurting them. I don't think it fits at that campus at all.
One of my good friends is a member of Tri Sigma at Mizzou. She told me that her chapter is one of the largest Tri Sigma chapters nationally and that Mizzou is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, Greek systems where Tri Sigma has a chapter. I wonder if they've had a hard time adjusting to a larger campus and larger chapter?

I am really pulling for them to make it as well. They have so many sweet girls in their chapter.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I too am rooting for Tri Sigma!! They seem like a lovely group of women, and the stronger their chapter is the stronger the system as a whole is.

Here are the numbers, as reported after recruitment:

AXO - 91
ADPi - 91
APhi - 92
XO - 91
DDD - 92
DG - 90
GPhi - 93
Theta - 93
KD - 93
KKG - 92
PM - 93
Pi Phi - 91
SK - 104
SSS - 68
ZTA - 92

Some of those might be off by one or two. The "official" GPhi number was 92, but I know we had 93. Also, the total of all the above is three fewer than reported in Campus Director as having pledged.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

According to the University of Missouri Sigma Kappa's twitter, they pledged 105. So that may be where one of the 3 missing is. =)
Old 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the clarification! I asked because I saw photos on FB. Obviously those were not pictures of the entire new member classes.

I have been aware of numbers at Mizzou for many, many years. When I pledged in 1970 quota was 34 and total was 63. In 1971 fewer than 400 women enrolled in rush/recruitment and quota was 25. I can't remember quota/total in 1972. In 1973 when I was Panhellenic President there were about 650 registered and we set quota "to fill the house."

I know that it is hard for a new chapter at Mizzou to get traction. The Panhellenic system is old and strong. In 1975 Alpha Gam closed and Kappa Delta came on. The KD alumnae were ready with strong support and funds to remodel an available house. In subsequent years other groups tried but were not long-lived (AOII, DPhiE). Alpha Gam came back, and closed. Sigma Kappa came back, closed, and (as we have seen) came back. Alpha Phi did a no-close recolonization (surely there is a more technical term ). AEPhi closed.
Phi Mu was able to return to their original house after 40+ years. Tri-Sigma is indeed "ever forward" with a tremendous investment in a brand-new house.

I wish every chapter well -- those doing COB and those who now need to retain those new members!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the term is reorganization
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I believe the term is reorganization
Thank you!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Sigma has a tough road ahead of them- because it is so very hard for a chapter to come on and really succeed quickly at Mizzou.
They were very fortunate to get a house so fast, but obviously the architecture of it isn't really on par with the rest of Greek Town at Mizzou and hinders them slightly.
HOWEVER, the women are succeeding. The PHA president is a Tri Sigma and, while they aren't making quota, they seem to have a very strong sisterhood. Also, I sense that the other chapters are trying to encourage Sigma by promoting their COB meetings.
Mizzou is a tough campus. For any organization.
Alpha Phi's reorganization was successful (and they have been able to climb the ranks since it) but that chapter had nearly 100 years of alumni support going into it. Sigma Kappa and Phi Mu are doing good, but not really thriving at the top. All I can say is that it is a hard campus for any organization to really find their groove in. But ALL of the chapters are wonderful and the members are lucky to be part of a great system.
I hope that every chapter can be strong and healthy, and maybe in the future another chapter (perhaps DZ) can come on to help contain the chapter numbers.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I was trying to find pics of all the houses there but when I searched, I also got houses from other schools. Is there any site that is just all the Mizzou chapters?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I was trying to find pics of all the houses there but when I searched, I also got houses from other schools. Is there any site that is just all the Mizzou chapters?
Sorority house pictures

Tri-Sigma House

You can tell that their lot was very limiting.

Last edited by irishpipes; 09-10-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Very limiting- but they did pretty great (internally) from what I hear. The house is spacious. I think their issue is a lack of "curb appeal" that some of the other houses have...