GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,110
3 members and 2,107 guests
John, Low D Flat, zdaidjunioro429

Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Marijuana doesn't appear to harm lung function, study finds

Quote:
Smoking a joint once a week or a bit more apparently doesn't harm the lungs, suggests a 20-year study that bolsters evidence that marijuana doesn't do the kind of damage tobacco does.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1jKWEgQg5
It's all about moderation my friends. Now, why is marijuana still classified as an illegal drug?

Last edited by moe.ron; 01-13-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Disclaimer: I am not a pot smoker and I am vehemently opposed to cigarette smoking.

I think the crap that's added to cigarettes is a big part of the problem that marijuana doesn't have. At least as far as I'm aware marijuana is generally smoked in a very natural state, with only the addition of rolling paper (and not even that a lot of the time). If the stuff that was added to cigarettes to make them more addictive was added to marijuana, I bet results would be more similar.

And this is the only concern I have with legalizing marijuana. It would go from an industry of farmers harvesting and selling their product with little processing to big tobacco finding ways to market it to a bigger audience and more frequent usage. I'm all for making it legal to everyone EXCEPT big tobacco who would find a way to turn it into something seriously unhealthy. People growing it hydroponically in their basement with no chemicals, I say go for it. Have your Friday night toke and get on with your life. (Do people still say toke?)
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Now, why is marijuana still classified as an illegal drug?
Because it harms not only your own reproductive system, but also possibly that of any future children you have. How much of an ass would you feel like if you ended up having a child that couldn't have children of their own because you smoked pot?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Trey_P-I_47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Because it harms not only your own reproductive system, but also possibly that of any future children you have. How much of an ass would you feel like if you ended up having a child that couldn't have children of their own because you smoked pot?
Source please, as i would like to read a study espousing these 'facts'

I can tell you 'weed' smoking helped me to lose 100+ pounds, thats factual, relevant, and first hand experience.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Marijuana should NOT be legalized. Aside from the 'mexican drug cartel' side. Marijuana is a THRIVING industry that needs no government oversight. Why cant there be an industry that has no hands of the government meddling all the time? I can tell you everyone in the loop is happy when it comes to the marijuana industry.

The growers - they are happy or they wouldnt be producing literal TONS of crops every year

Middlemen/sellers - they are happy, there is a decent mark-up opportunity for them to make money quickly and effectivel

end user/smoker - when have you ever met an ornery stoner? didnt think so

so everyone in that cycle is happy and functions well, it doesnt need to be legalized as far as taxation and government oversight, it actually just needs decriminalized and that should do the trick.

California didnt legalize it just because of what i wrote, the serious growers and sellers never voted because of what I just explained, plus its more of a boost to the local economy without money disappearing into the government black hole
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey_P-I_47 View Post

I can tell you 'weed' smoking helped me to lose 100+ pounds, thats factual, relevant, and first hand experience.
So what?
I know people that lost 100+ pounds from developing eating disorders but that doesn't make eating disorders healthy or ok. I'm sure you probably could have lost the weight while smoking crack too...shall we now legalize crack and market it as a weight loss drug? I'm glad you lost the weight but I don't buy the fact that something you smoke has no adverse effects on your lungs.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If I cared enough, I would find a source for you, but my mom, who has a masters in drug addiction counseling, has presented numerous workshops across the country on the subject of drug addiction and side effects has gotten on this soap box many times around me. Plus, I know it was discussed in my Drug Use and Abuse class in college.

And LOL about pot helping you lose weight being relevant when it gives most people the munchies.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear meth is an excellent weight loss tool.

I would like some back up for the statement about the use of marijuana causing genetic irregularities in future generations. That's a statement I've never heard before and if I'm going to repeat it I'd like to know the source.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I am definitely one of the exceptions about the whole munchie thing versus weight loss, and it I meant to phrase it as: By smoking weed I was able to focus more intently on why and how i wanted to lose weight. Marijuana isnt some miracle drug, but it stimulated my mind to convince me that I needed to lose weight and when I smoked before I ran hundreds of miles it relaxed me and caused me not to concentrate on anything but running better and beating my times so I was continually pushing myself.

Just because your mom was an 'expert' doesnt make it a valid source saying it hurts future generations

Yes smoking things hurts you, obviously to some degree, but so does breathing in the toxins in our atmosphere and mcdonalds double cheeseburgers
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know I am definitely one of the exceptions about the whole munchie thing versus weight loss, and it I meant to phrase it as: By smoking weed I was able to focus more intently on why and how i wanted to lose weight. Marijuana isnt some miracle drug, but it stimulated my mind to convince me that I needed to lose weight and when I smoked before I ran hundreds of miles it relaxed me and caused me not to concentrate on anything but running better and beating my times so I was continually pushing myself.

Just because your mom was an 'expert' doesnt make it a valid source saying it hurts future generations

Yes smoking things hurts you, obviously to some degree, but so does breathing in the toxins in our atmosphere and mcdonalds double cheeseburgers
LOL.

Does smoking weed also convince you to support Ron Paul?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
LOL.

Does smoking weed also convince you to support Ron Paul?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Marijuana isnt some miracle drug, but it stimulated my mind to convince me that I needed to lose weight and when I smoked before I ran hundreds of miles it relaxed me and caused me not to concentrate on anything but running better and beating my times so I was continually pushing myself.
If smoking dope allows you to run hundreds of miles it most certainly is a miracle drug.