GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,281
1 members and 2,280 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 05-27-2000, 06:35 PM
Psi Man

Question I Don't Know What To Do?

I'm still in high school but really wan't to pledge a pan-hellanic fraternity but don't know how to do it and what the plegde process is. My aunts a AKA but that only one person in my family and to of my favorite teachers are NUPES. I'm in a high school fraternity called Phi Kappa Psi which is a musical frat that are the little brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi an "honorary music fraternity in most colleges". I'm don't know if im supposed to tell you what fraternity I want to really be apart of. Do you know what year of college should I think about being in a fraternity? I don't want to be FORCED to drink because liquor is very untasteful to me and I hate it. We were online for six months in school to plegde the high school fraternity. If someone can tell me or email me what i'm suppose to do it would be real appreciated? I would real like to take to any brothers of Kappa Alpha Psi, Phi Beta Sigma or Alpha Phi Alpha.

------------------
Phi Kappa Psi
Donkey Kong Psi #1
Alpha Chap.
Spring 2000
Alto Sax
Osborn High School
Detroit, Michigan

[This message has been edited by Psi Man (edited May 27, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-27-2000, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

That's pretty interesting that you're in that high school fraternity considering Phi Kappa Psi is a prominent college social fraternity (especially at OSU) that has absolutely nothing to do with music and is not a part of NPHC. Sorry, I know that didn't give you any help at all.
Old 05-27-2000, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

First thing I would suggest you do is actually get into college. Once you are there, maintain at LEAST a 2.5 GPA but preferably a 3.0 or above and get involved with the community either on campus or in the city surrounding your college. In the meantime, since you said your favorite teachers are men of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., talk to them about their experience and ask them for further guidance AND hit the library to research Kappa Alpha Psi, Phi Beta Sigma, Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi and Iota Phi Theta Fraternities Incorporated and also the NPHC.

Ultimately, the organization you choose is your decision. The NPHC Fraternities and Sororities all require a LIFETIME commitment. There is no "depledging" or changing your mind once you are a member. This is something we take VERY, VERY SERIOUSLY and we expect you to do the same. It's not all parties and step shows and doing calls on the yard and wearing paraphernalia. It's a lot of hard work which truly begins AFTER you cross the burning sands.

Here are some web sites that will help you out: http://www.apa1906.org http://www.kappaalphapsi.com http://www.omegapsiphifraternity.org http://www.pbs1914.org http://www.iotaphitheta.org http://www.nphc.org

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 05-27-2000, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I am glad you at least know the names of most frats. of NPHC. I have to tell you that based on your experience with your high school frat, what org. youjoin will be highly influenced by the members of the chapters you meet. Ask yourself if the chapter is really involved in the community, be honest about the way you perceive them and so on. I must tell you that you should not a member or two create a generalized concept about the whole org. This is where the chapter come into place. SInce you don't know which one to go for. Try to go to greek events. Visit friends in college and ask questions. By reading we are basically the same. Differences of course are there but, I found it very hard to make my choice based on what I read during my research.
I hope you find your way.
Keep us post it.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 05-29-2000, 01:02 AM
Psi Man

Cool

I already been decided what fraternity I want to pledge it's between just two. I have a 3.3 grade point average. My high school fraternity is well up-to-date on all NPHC fraternities and sororities. Are frat is not associated with the one in college because the name was made up because of Kappa Kappa Psi. I think I want to go to FAMU and be in the band and join the fraternity. I have ALWAYS been interested in frats.

------------------
Phi Kappa Psi
Donkey Kong Psi #1
Alpha Chap.
Spring 2000
Alto Sax
Osborn High School
Old 05-29-2000, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I've very glad that you have a 3.3 GPA in high school, but don't get over confident. College, is a DIFFERENT STORY. They're (which ever fraternity you want to join) not going to be looking at your high school grades. It's very easy for a freshman to get caught up in the party scene and think their high school study habits will do. There aren't too many second chances in college, if any at all.

You want to go to FAMU? Then you REALLY have to be on point. Competition for a spot on anyone's line there is extremely high. And competition in the band is very high also, but I'm sure you know that already.

:-) AND, I'm very happy you're up on the NPHC and it's member orgs. There are too many interested people out there who are not and very quickly show their ignorance. :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Psi Man:
I already been decided what fraternity I want to pledge it's between just two. I have a 3.3 grade point average. My high school fraternity is well up-to-date on all NPHC fraternities and sororities. Are frat is not associated with the one in college because the name was made up because of Kappa Kappa Psi. I think I want to go to FAMU and be in the band and join the fraternity. I have ALWAYS been interested in frats.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-04-2000, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

PSI MAN
I am a student at FAMU and my boyfriend is a member of one of the frats you may be interested in. If you would like to talk privately, you may e-mail me at MIZZKES@HOTMAIL.com. Please do not include any personal information about yourself. Discretion is KEY!
Old 06-12-2000, 12:58 AM
PSI Funk

Wink

I'm new to this message board, but I found this particular subject interesting. PSI Man, it's great that you have an interest for fraternities, especially that of Kappa Kappa Psi. I've been a member since 1992 and take great pride in what we represent. If you want to be a member of KKY and APhiA (for example), YOU CAN DO BOTH! As you know KKY is a music fraternity...not a "historically black fraternity". We pride ourselves on the idea the music is a universal language, and trully the greatest of the arts, therefore, so should our membership be. I know quite a few fraternity brothers who have joined BGLO's, and they are equally committed to both! It's all about service to a college or university band program. I wish you much sucess.
Old 06-22-2000, 08:55 PM
Psi Man

Cool

What is BGLO"s? My band director was KK Psi at Grambling State University and was percussion section leader. Phi K Psi (my fraternity) is the little bros of KK Psi all around.

------------------
Phi Kappa Psi
Donkey Kong Psi #1
Alpha Chap.
Spring 2000
Alto Sax
Osborn High School
Old 06-22-2000, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

BGLO stands for Black Greek Letter Organization.