GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,464
0 members and 2,464 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Arkansas: EW, when is row week? Who is KE and EN having?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
Arkansas: EW, when is row week? Who is KE and EN having?
I am currently way, way out of the loop...but..

the list of band goes something like this:

KE: Vanilla Ice and Ying Yang Twins
EN: Eve 6
LCA: Young Joc
Fiji: Crime Mobb
Phi Delt: Lil Flip
EX (I think): Juvenile

and Gorilla Zoe is coming, but I can't remember which house.

Row Week is around April 11th
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM

did I read the above right? Vanilla Ice is going to be performing in a fraternity house?

How can you rail against jorts when Vanilla Ice is in your fraternity house?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
did I read the above right? Vanilla Ice is going to be performing in a fraternity house?

Is he performing as Vanilla Ice or Rob Van Winkle. Maybe he's doing his rocker thing.

Rob Van Winkle is handsome when he's not doing the paranoid douchebag thing.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

...because Vanilla Ice isn't a member of the fraternity?

I'm not sure the decision making that went into this, again I'm way, way out of the loop at the moment. Perhaps people thought it'd be funny. I don't know.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
wow, didn't mean to make this go onto a huge tangent.

But I agree with EE-BO, coke use has gone WAY up - everywhere, not just in the south. I won't say it wasn't around at all when I was in school, but it's much more prevalent now from what I hear, and what I don't understand is where people at a school where most of the students are on financial aid are getting the money for it.
I mean, let's be honest, I don't know a whole lot of guys in fraternities, at least here, who are on financial aid. It's none of my business.....just an educated guess. The dues here are very high, more so than a lot of places. I think if your parents can afford that, they can afford to pay for your school...and most give you money to live off of. This is just my experience, not that way for everyone.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
I mean, let's be honest, I don't know a whole lot of guys in fraternities, at least here, who are on financial aid. It's none of my business.....just an educated guess. The dues here are very high, more so than a lot of places. I think if your parents can afford that, they can afford to pay for your school...and most give you money to live off of. This is just my experience, not that way for everyone.
yeah, I know that. But I mean use is also up at schools where a lot of people (Greeks & non Greeks) ARE on financial aid. That's what makes my mind boggle.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I am currently way, way out of the loop...but..

the list of band goes something like this:

KE: Vanilla Ice and Ying Yang Twins
EN: Eve 6
LCA: Young Joc
Fiji: Crime Mobb
Phi Delt: Lil Flip
EX (I think): Juvenile

and Gorilla Zoe is coming, but I can't remember which house.

Row Week is around April 11th

What is with all the gangsta rap??? I don't recall it being like that back in the day.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

None of those artists are "gangsta rappers."
Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, what's with all the rap acts???? Is Univ. of Arkansas really over run with fans of that stuff?

and if this cat isn't gangsta rap, then someone better tell him that....

Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What is with all the gangsta rap??? I don't recall it being like that back in the day.
I know. Row Week has changed. I think part of the reason is that well known country artists are way expensive. However, somehow you can still manage to get well-known rap artists for much cheaper. For example, Robert Earl Keen costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000 (we were considering getting him for Row) but Lambda Chi got Mike Jones last year which is considerably better known for like 13,000 (they had Dem Franchise Boys originally I think). AGR had Jason Boland a few years ago and Fiji had Cory Morrow. But to get people to really come out, it has to be a big named rap star. Country artists would pull tons of people, but they're just a bit over most of the fraternities budgets.

edit: Very few of the guys actually like any of the rappers. However, girls like to dance to rap music. Guys like girls. Girls would come out in droves for Pat Green or Kenny Chesney, but just out of our price range.

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 03-25-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Does every house do their own thing? Couldn't two neighbors go in together to get a huge act? Just curious.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, what's with all the rap acts???? Is Univ. of Arkansas really over run with fans of that stuff?

and if this cat isn't gangsta rap, then someone better tell him that....

Eazy E is rolling in his grave.

.........and to answer your question, girls like Rap. They are usually cheaper too.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does every house do their own thing? Couldn't two neighbors go in together to get a huge act? Just curious.
Yeah, every house does there own thing...even down to little Farmhouse. 8 guys in a dry fraternity but they have their own row week usually on Wednesday.

Sharing an act is not something that anyone would want to do. It's just not done. Even then, the choices are limited. The only fraternity houses are on a real row are Sigma Nu, Phi Delt, Lambda Chi and SAE.

The bigger problem with getting together actually has a good bit to do with risk management. Every house has an alotted amount of wristbands to give out (most give out far more), and has a security guard at the door that clicks off people as they enter to make sure they're not going over capacity...which for most houses, not including members and so on is around 1000-1500. As there is some parity on that row (but not enough)...if they combined the max capacity to 3,000...there could legitmately be 2,500 people in one house. Creates risk problems for sure.

Besides all this, no one wants to get together and do that. Haha.

edit: and macallans right. Girls like rap. Knowing the social chairs for most of the worthwhile houses, I can safely say that they have a general dislike/hate of rap but understand the value. More bang for the buck, I guess.

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 03-25-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Yeah, every house does there own thing...even down to little Farmhouse. 8 guys in a dry fraternity but they have their own row week usually on Wednesday.

Sharing an act is not something that anyone would want to do. It's just not done. Even then, the choices are limited. The only fraternity houses are on a real row are Sigma Nu, Phi Delt, Lambda Chi and SAE.

The bigger problem with getting together actually has a good bit to do with risk management. Every house has an alotted amount of wristbands to give out (most give out far more), and has a security guard at the door that clicks off people as they enter to make sure they're not going over capacity...which for most houses, not including members and so on is around 1000-1500. As there is some parity on that row (but not enough)...if they combined the max capacity to 3,000...there could legitmately be 2,500 people in one house. Creates risk problems for sure.

Besides all this, no one wants to get together and do that. Haha.

edit: and macallans right. Girls like rap. Knowing the social chairs for most of the worthwhile houses, I can safely say that they have a general dislike/hate of rap but understand the value. More bang for the buck, I guess.
no pun intended.

and damn i wanna come up that week lol
too bad i dont know a damn soul at Arkansas