GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,595
1 members and 1,594 guests
FSUZeta

Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfer Student Question

Last year as a freshmen I participated in fall rush, and became an initiated member of my sorority last December.

This past fall, however, I transferred to a new school, one that doesn't have a chapter of my sorority. As a transfer student, it's difficult to network/meet new people,does anyone know if I am I eligible to participate in rush again? Is there anything I can do?

- katie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Since you are already initiated into a national sorority, you are not eligible to participate in rush again.

I know it's tough to switch schools, but there are lots of other clubs to join and meet people (i.e. clubs for your major or favorite hobby).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-11-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcan View Post
Last year as a freshmen I participated in fall rush, and became an initiated member of my sorority last December.

This past fall, however, I transferred to a new school, one that doesn't have a chapter of my sorority. As a transfer student, it's difficult to network/meet new people,does anyone know if I am I eligible to participate in rush again? =
Well my first question is was your sorority a National Panhellenic Member or was it a local? As stated above, if it was a national, then to my understand you are NOT ALLOWED to join any other NPC sorority. But if it was a local, then if you feel you are willing to commit to another sorority, then that is your choice (I'm not sure where I would stand if I was in your situation because I know how hard it is to get involved at a new school). Try getting a job near school to meet people as well. There is also getting involved with student government, a pre-professional society, or a club that sparks your interest. There is also getting involved with intramural sports or something along those lines. Hope this helps! pm me if you need to talk!!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM

If you were initiated into an NPC sorority, you may never join another NPC sorority, even if you deaffiliate from the first sorority.

I'm not sure what other national orgs' policies are.

However, you are free and clear to rush any local social sororities that may exist on your new campus, and you can also rush service GLOs such as Alpha Phi Omega, Omega Phi Alpha, or Gamma Sigma Sigma.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

You also could see if they need volunteers in the Greek Life office. On a previous thread, I remember that schools varied in how much they could let you do, but they may have a way you could get involved.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Assuming this is an NPC sorority that you are a member of, you can also join an alumnae association in the area if there is one. I've heard of transfers becoming recruitment counselors, but this depends on the school. Get in contact with the Panhellenic Association at your new school.