GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,363
1 members and 1,362 guests
No Members online

Old 11-15-2006, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gammagirl04
How to get incorporated

To the new Sororities and Fraternities out there that have been incorporated:
What can my Sorors and I do in order for us to get this done? The Name of our organization is Eta Gamma Pi, and we are Christian as well as our brothers, Nu Gamma Psi. I just wanted to know to better help both our organizations out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2006, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You need to find out the laws of incorporation for your state. Information should be on the web site of your Secretary of State or similar office.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagirl04 View Post
What can my Sorors and I do in order for us to get this done? The Name of our organization is Eta Gamma Pi, and we are Christian as well as our brothers, Nu Gamma Psi. I just wanted to know to better help both our organizations out.
The specifics depend on which state your sorority is based. I'm assuming you'll be filing for non-profit incorporation. Be sure you can meet these requirements:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...3----000-.html

Here is an example of filing in Texas. I'm using this as an example as I don't know where you're basing your group.
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/nonprofitfaqs.shtml

Here are some basics for you:
http://nonprofit.about.com/od/nonpro...orporating.htm

Generally, you would need to do a search on your GLO's name to make sure it isn't already federally trademarked. There are searchable data bases on the internet.

You would probably need to file for a tax exemption even though you're filing for a non-profit incorporation. Be sure to read this:
http://www.irs.gov/charities/index.html

You'll also need to file for a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number). Banks will need this when you open up an account.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. You can do it without an attorney, but you may want to consult with an accountant.

Best wishes!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagirl04 View Post
I would advise that if this is something that you want to do that you consult an attorney in your state and make sure things are done correctly. An attorney specializing in non-profit law (there are a number of them out there!) will know the specific ins and outs of your state's laws and will be able to get you set up quickly and efficiently. Also, since this seems to be a relatively simple matter, it shouldn't be particularly time consuming for a knowledgeable attorney.

I would actually advise consulting an attorney over consulting an accountant. An attorney will not only be able to help get your incorporated and set up, but they should be able to give you help with the tax end of things, particularly since there are many things you need to do legally to comply with the tax code. Attorneys who specialize in non-profit law should be very knowledgeable about the tax code as well.

You may very well wish to consult with an accountant when you have to file your taxes, but it's very possible that an attorney could do this as well. It certainly couldn't be a bad thing to talk to an accountant. But an accountant won't be able to help you with the legal aspect.

Do a search here on GC, as I know others have asked this question before. You may want to read those threads and possibly PM those people to find out what kinds of things they had to go through.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Banned

Consulting an attorney could get expensive. If you don't feel comfortable with the process, by all means do so as kddani recommended.

Another alternative is to have an on-line website such as legalzoom.com do it for you for about $150 to $300.

However, most state websites will walk you through the process step by step. It's very straight-forward. If you have any questions, you can always call the number on the website. It's really not that difficult to do yourself.

But again.. go with your comfort level.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Don't forget that if you incorporate in your state, you may be required to register and apply to be a federal non-profit (501c3) which is a time consuming and often costly process. In addition, you will be responsible for submitting income statements and reports to the IRS. For this you really need to have an attorney on retainer and probably a tax accountant as well.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Don't forget that if you incorporate in your state, you may be required to register and apply to be a federal non-profit (501c3) which is a time consuming and often costly process. In addition, you will be responsible for submitting income statements and reports to the IRS. For this you really need to have an attorney on retainer and probably a tax accountant as well.
Yep.

To incorporate and to be a non-profit, it's going to cost money. As a new organization, you may not have a lot of money, but if you want it to be a lasting organization, these are important things to take care of.

I'm guessing that you're all college kids. Not only do you have the stress and time consumption of starting a new group and all that involves- recruiting members, activities, etc., but you're also college kids who are there to get an education. Many of you also work. To get yourselves to the level of knowledge where you could do this on your own (AND DO IT RIGHT!) would be very time consuming and stressful. So you really have to weigh things.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
Aren't fraternities and sororities 501c7s?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Wonder if anything would be different because this is a Christian-based group.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Do not use an internet legal site. They are wrong most of the time.

Seek out alums first. I bet there is a tax attorney who can help you out. Accountants are not a good source. They try to do legal docs, but are not authorized to do so in many instances. It is risky. Too mant accountants try to go too far.

Also, you may be able to have someone help you out for free. I do it all the time if it is easy work, like this would be.

good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppyTriDelta View Post
Do not use an internet legal site. They are wrong most of the time..
Just curious... On what do you base that on? Have you had a bad experience? If so, which site?

Quote:
Seek out alums first. I bet there is a tax attorney who can help you out.
Excellent idea. If the OP goes to a big University, there might also be some free legal help available at the law school. There might also be some free accounting help at the school's financial dept.

Quote:
Accountants are not a good source. They try to do legal docs, but are not authorized to do so in many instances. It is risky. Too mant accountants try to go too far.
Incorporating isn't as difficult as it sounds. It's really quite straight forward.
With the advent of state sites which will walk you through the process step-by-step, it's really surprisingly easy. But as Kddani said, if you're not comfortable with the process, best to seek out professional legal help.

An accountant doesn't need to set up your corporation-- but he or she would be good to consult regarding tax issues.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It all depends on how they are incorporated and how they file with the IRS.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Before you contact a lawyer which will charge you $$$$. Contact the Secretary of State Office. It is usually a toll free number. Check the Yelloow Pages for Government.

They can tell you a heck of a lot more and cheaper than screwing with a lawyer.

It usually is @ $25.00 depending on the state.

LX Z # 1
Alumni