GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,469
0 members and 2,469 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Some Concerns

So I just need some quick help. I'm transferring to one of the larger Big XII schools as a Sophomore from a small private school in MA (2,000 Students). Frat life up here is almost non-existent compared to other schools around the nation. My friend currently goes to TCU and got me interested in the fraternity life. My question is will being this far out of state as a Sophomore jeopardize me? Also, I was born in Brazil but have lived in MA my whole life. That hurt my chances more? Should I keep that quiet?

Thanks a bunch
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on your school. Rush at TCU is different than rush at, say, Iowa State, which is probably different than rush at the school in MA.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraternityguru View Post
If during the rush process you tell them things that they don't like, then that's their problem. It would be a group you wouldn't want to be part of anyway.
This is bad advice. Actually, this is pretty awful advice.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

First impressions are everything. PNMs should exercise discretion on what they choose to share. Lying is bad, yes. But hiding or not mentioning information is using discretion.

Ex: If you're a hardcore conservative and most of a fraternity you want to join are hardcore liberals, I wouldn't bring up my political affiliation during rush.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi fraternityguru,

I saw another post of yours in which you were soliciting current or former high school fraternity or sorority members. Just wanted to let you know that this site is mainly for current collegiate members of sororities or fraternities and their alumni, or students who will be participating in collegiate recruitment. Not saying there are not some folks here who were also members of hs sororities or fraternities-just saying that that is not the focus of this site.

By the way, I see you are offering recruitment info. What fraternity are you a member of?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess what I meant was that I wouldn't try to hide anything from the houses I would rush. Yes, I guess you don't offer any information unless asked. My feeling is that the house you rush you want to feel apart of and feel like family. You need to be comfortable with the members and they should feel comfortable with you.

I they ask a question tell them an honest answer. Political, religious, beliefs and such should be things that shouldn't deny potential membership, nor should the rushee not feel like its a house he may not to belong.

Jhmo.
Are you a member of a fraternity? Or just doing research on high school orgs?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Hi fraternityguru,

I saw another post of yours in which you were soliciting current or former high school fraternity or sorority members. Just wanted to let you know that this site is mainly for current collegiate members of sororities or fraternities and their alumni, or students who will be participating in collegiate recruitment. Not saying there are not some folks here who were also members of hs sororities or fraternities-just saying that that is not the focus of this site.

By the way, I see you are offering recruitment info. What fraternity are you a member of?
Jinx!!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

ya got me...coke or pepsi?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
ya got me...coke or pepsi?
Coke, my dear, and make it full-calorie.

But I will treat you sine you worded it so much better. I guess brevity is key when typing on a phone.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

ok-i'll take diet coke, please. your's is in the mail:-)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Are you a member of a fraternity? Or just doing research on high school orgs?
It's the badge guy.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am a member of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia.

And yes, I am giving recruitment advise. Is that a problem?Only if you have not experienced recruitment yourself.

As for my other post....why being it up here? I would be happy to answer questions in that forum....thanksI don't recall asking you any questions about your post in another forum. I was merely politely trying to tell you that this is a site for grownups, not high schoolers, so you might need to seek your answers for your "publication" elsewhere

This forum was about recruitment questions.....

And yes, I am giving recruitment advise. Is that a problem?Only if you have not experienced recruitment yourself.

As for my other post....why being it up here? I would be happy to answer questions in that forum....thanksI don't recall asking you any questions about your post in another forum. I was merely politely trying to tell you that this is a site for grownups, not high schoolers, so you might need to seek your answers for your "publication" elsewhere