GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,467
0 members and 2,467 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM's and future college facebook groups caution!

PNM's this is really important. I was looking at my own university's "official class of 2014" facebook group yesterday and I noticed A TON of PNM's posting things asking for reputations, talking about how much they "lyke OMG can't wait to get wAsTeD!!!", and worst of all saying things like "how many girls are planning on rushing ADPi or theta is one that I'm looking at!"

LADIES, ACTIVE SORORITY WOMEN (such as myself) ARE READING THESE. YOU ARE DOING YOURSELVES A SERIOUS DISSERVICE.

So, if you or any of your friends have posted ANYTHING questionable on such a group REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, this can really screw you over.

I got a little capslock crazy, but this kind of stuff drives me crazy!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Oh those are fun. I just recently looked through the KSU class of 2014 group just the other day (my cousin is class of 2014 and I was browsing her FB).

Not only did I realize that I was old as dirt now, but that some girls are making these very same mistakes you're talking about.

Girl 1: "OMG I can't wait to be an XYZ, what do I have to do to get in because that's the only one I want!!!!!!!"

Girl 2: So lyke, do you have to party at XY fraternity to get into ABC, because I have totally been there every night."

Fun. Especially because there are some sophomore sorority women in the group trying to promote recruitment and I know they're paying attention to it.

On another FB-related note, you know those fan pages you can join? Even when people cannot see your other profile info, they can sometimes see what you're a fan of.

It's not a good look to be a fan of:

"We hooked up, what's your name again?"
"My BAC is consistently higher than my GPA?"
"I heart smoking pot"

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

PNMS:

This is SOLID advice. Please take it to heart.

(Besides, no one really wants to see that you're a fan of "I do more blow than Whitney Houston.")
Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I've definitely seen some "Well I heard, XYZ, DEF and ABC are the best, and RST sucks!" in the past, but I just creeped and this year's group is pretty clean of that stuff, so yay (for now!)

I am, however, now extremely depressed that I'm really not going back this year...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This may end up being a hard life-lesson for these girls, but hey, some of them may learn something from screwing themselves out of their top choice sorority and down the line be more cautious. Better your top choice sorority than your dream job.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Oh those are fun. I just recently looked through the KSU class of 2014 group just the other day (my cousin is class of 2014 and I was browsing her FB).

Not only did I realize that I was old as dirt now, but that some girls are making these very same mistakes you're talking about.

Girl 1: "OMG I can't wait to be an XYZ, what do I have to do to get in because that's the only one I want!!!!!!!"

Girl 2: So lyke, do you have to party at XY fraternity to get into ABC, because I have totally been there every night."

Fun. Especially because there are some sophomore sorority women in the group trying to promote recruitment and I know they're paying attention to it.

On another FB-related note, you know those fan pages you can join? Even when people cannot see your other profile info, they can sometimes see what you're a fan of.

It's not a good look to be a fan of:

"We hooked up, what's your name again?"
"My BAC is consistently higher than my GPA?"
"I heart smoking pot"

Actually you have to party with AB Fraternity to get into ABC Sorority, lyke duh!!!!1!11! the XYs are lame anyway.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I just did some further investigating into the group and some girl has actually started a thread about a certain sorority (not naming names) but the name of the thread is "XYZ" and her posts are "is anyone else planning on rushing XYZ?". And plenty of girls are like "yeah, for sure it's on my list!"

Poor, poor, PNM's...I mean they've all been to orientation by now so they should know that you visit EVERY chapter and it is MUTUAL selection process. PNM's who think they're simply going "sorority shopping" really irk me but I guess the joke's on them in the end...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

The year I was a IIX I actually went into those message boards and posted advice for the PNMs, answered there questions and subtly mentioned that they needed to keep their minds open..it kind of worked lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I just looked at mine and all they're talking about is Orientation (how fun it was, which I love because I used to work in that office) and possible dorm assignments.

Yay for well-behaved incoming freshmen, although I'm sure it's only because we have (dirty, gross, irrelevant) deferred recruitment.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygphib View Post
(Besides, no one really wants to see that you're a fan of "I do more blow than Whitney Houston.")
Did you know that "Hookers and Blow" has 1,114 fans? What are these people thinking?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Why warn them when you can use these FB tools to weed out the trainwreck PNMs =)

/evil

LMAO...i was going to write the exact same thing. As mean as it may seem, i think we'd all like to know that susie is a big drunk loosey-goosey before you let her in your organization
Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite last year was the PNM that posted pics of each of the sorority and fraternity houses with her comments written underneath. Like "Lame", "drunken sluts", "OMG I love them" etc. on her public facebook page.

You can imagine how that turned out.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually went to our facebook group to see if anyone had posted anything, but what was under the Greek Life discussion tab was mostly sophomores telling PNMs to ask them questions if they had any, and the girls mostly being like, "I'm so excited about joining a sorority! I can't wait for events in the fall!" except one or two were like, "I can't wait to see which one I want in the fall!" And I just kind of went "oh honey no..." But for the most part, it wasn't bad.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Why warn them when you can use these FB tools to weed out the trainwreck PNMs =)

/evil

Yes! I've already been doing background work using facebook as a means for gathering recommendations for PNM's coming through.

There is one coming through currently who has an outstanding picture uploaded with her registration form, however in her facebook profile picture, she is wearing a short tight outfit with the boobs popping out and holding a Corona in her hand. She is coming in as a college freshman, so assuming she is around 18ish, that doesnt set very well with me. Luckily, her verified GPA is too low for our requirement, so her getting in wont be an issue.

PNM's PLEASE take note of your profile pictures on facebook even if you have everything else marked private. The pictures and language you use on facebook sets up a precedent about you, whether you think that of yourself or not, especially for people who dont know you and are looking for more info...like sorority women and potential employers. It's been said many times before, but I'll say it again, if you are under 21 and are drinking/holding alcoholic beverages in your pictures, that is illegal activity and can potentially make you viewed as a risk management issue before you even step foot in the door. TAKE THEM DOWN!!

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 07-19-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for this thread! Being a mom I didn't think it was my place, but I was hoping someone would bring it up.

I'm an alum of my daughter's school, so I get a lot of their facebook groups popping up on my FB as addition suggestions - one of which was the 2014 group. There was a Greek life thread where at least a few (mostly boys) said some variation on, "Yeah, I'm going Greek - I want to party!" which was clueless, but so far there have been no discussions of group reputations.

However, I went to a roommate's survey (curious to see what housing everyone wanted this year), and it asked, among other things, whether or not they were going to pledge and, if so, WHERE they intended to pledge. Yeah, it asked them where. There were several who answered, "Yes, and I'm going to pledge XYZ."

I showed it to my daughter who was beyond appalled. I think her response was something like, "The only thing they know at this point is whether or not they want to go through recruitment. They don't know IF they're going to be asked to pledge at all, and they certainly don't know WHERE, but way to get yourself cut. Don't these girls know we can look at this stuff?"

She also wondered whether the Greek life offices send out a list of basic do's and don'ts with recruitment information. Does anyone know if any schools do in fact do that and if includes basic facebook etiquette?