GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,037
1 members and 1,036 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Bumping this because I remembered what Titchou said about 2 separate alum clubs (based on neighborhoods) in her town. Has anybody else heard of such?
Old 04-26-2020, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I moved from Charlotte, NC almost two years ago. At that time, Chi Omega had one large alumnae group, but also had small ones within the large group. For instance, the twenty-somethings had a group called the Night Owls, and would go out together on weekend nights. They had a book club that some members attended, and others didn't. But none of these were invitation only groups. Just multiple interests within the large group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Bumping this because I remembered what Titchou said about 2 separate alum clubs (based on neighborhoods) in her town. Has anybody else heard of such?
Old 04-26-2020, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

In the greater Los Angeles area, there is one alumnae group that I had been told (many years ago) only accepted member with permanent addresses in certain zip codes. This may not be true anymore but about 15 years ago when I moved here I was told this.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the zip code by any chance 91108?
Old 04-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

In the Chicago area (Chicagoland!), there are three: Northwest Countryside, West Suburban (Naperville), and Chicago. The Chicago group meets in the city, and it's more or less a given that it's for the newer graduates.

None of them revel in exclusivity, however.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDfromCali View Post
In the greater Los Angeles area, there is one alumnae group that I had been told (many years ago) only accepted member with permanent addresses in certain zip codes. This may not be true anymore but about 15 years ago when I moved here I was told this.
Interesting. Never heard of this. Been active in alumnae groups in LA and OC for over 40 years.

DaffyKD
Old 04-26-2020, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
During my time at FSU one sorority had a social with the law school.
Might have been Chi Omega. My daughter went to their mixer and met her future husband. Their 6th wedding anniversary is today.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And it's true with the same group but who live in different areas of town. I'm not going to name this group here but in Birmingham, they have 2 alum groups. To be a member of one of them you have to not only live in THAT suburb but you have to be invited to join that alum group; otherwise, you have to join the Birmingham one.
A coworker and friend of mine is in the "B-list" Birmingham group (LOL). And yes, she says the other group looks down at them and alumnae in general who weren't in certain collegiate chapters. She thinks it's funny, though.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Sure! It happens all the time in my organization! For example, we have two alumnae chapters for Gamma Phi Beta here in San Diego and there's room for a third up in the northern reaches of our county. These arrangements most often have to do with geography - splitting areas so as to serve women on opposite ends of town.

There have been a couple of instances I've seen where an existing alumnae chapter is very closely tied to a collegiate chapter (ie. most of the alumnae members were from the same initiating chapter). Other members in town felt a bit out of place ("unwelcome"?) and they started a second chapter.

True and Constant
Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My Yankee eyes are somewhat shocked at this. Up here yes we will have alumni chapters based on city/area but no invite only! Even the NYC chapters will cover all the boroughs rather than having separate ones.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 05-02-2020, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to goldendelta
We have 2 Alumna chapters in the area. One is basically the older alums and the other is the younger alums. It’s sad and I’m upset that our EO would allow this.

Life Loyal