GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,623
1 members and 2,622 guests
Tridentia

Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Latino Organization at Pre-dominantly white institutions

I'm interested in this one sorority, have already made networking and contacts and I was told to start an interest group of at least 10. Need advice and insight because I'm really passionate about this and I wanna keep a positive attitude even though its an uphill battle(My university has no latino greek council or multicultural greek council)

I guess the first step is this interest group. Does anyone have any advice on how to start one. How it works and the difference between a charter and a colony?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2009, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

A colony is an interest group. A charter is a document from a national organization allowing you to organize and run a chapter at a certain institution.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
These are questions you may first want to pose to the organization. As to the colony vs. charter question, not all organizations use the same terminology. For some orgs, a colony is a group of uninitiated women seeking to join the organization. For others, a colony is a group of newly initiated women at a new institution. There are yet other definitions for colony, if you can imagine that.

Find out from your contacts whom you should speak with on the regional/district or national level about your interest in the organization. You don't want to do something now that may jeopardize your chances in the future, like posting on an internet message board.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
A colony is an interest group.
That is not necessarily true in LGLOs.

To the OP: As PJ said, you need to be seeking the assistance of the sorority's regional/district officer or expansion chair. She should be able to give you some advice on how to get things started. Once you do get established, you might have a hard time with the university's administration, as most school require you to be a part of a council. Are there any other LGLO/MCGLOs on your campus? There needs to be some discussion about starting NALFO/MGC.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 08-09-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. I received a lot of answers that I needed. And no there is no Latino greek or Multicultural council at my school yet so we might have to work on that too.

Open for any other suggestions or advice.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyme804 View Post
Thanks. I received a lot of answers that I needed. And no there is no Latino greek or Multicultural council at my school yet so we might have to work on that too.

Open for any other suggestions or advice.
Does your campus have any other LGLOs or MCGLOs?

Old 08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

to the OP, private message me if you want to talk more about your situatioin.....i think that we might be able to help each other.....i go to a predominately white university in a predominately white town, and we have 4 latino organizations (1 being the umbrella org.) and were in the process of starting an MGC....