GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,336
0 members and 1,336 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Dropping Before Initiation?

So i'm just confused on the process of dropping a fraternity. Let's say I received a bid from a fraternity and decided to go about their pledge process. A few weeks before initiated, I decide to drop.

1. Can I rush a different fraternity the following semester
2. If I decide to drop, how do I go about doing so?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you are not initiated, you are eligible to re-rush. When you could rerush would be determined by your campus greek life office, so check with them.

The honorable way to resign your pledgeship would be to speak to your pledge trainer, as well as your big brother, in person.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Assuming these are hypothetical questions -- Greek Life can be a small world. Word gets around. Going about this honorably will minimize the chance that your dropping will be a turn-off to other fraternities. Minimize, not erase...some groups may not be interested in someone who appears to be "shopping around" and the current brothers may well be offended that you've left to look elsewhere. If this isn't hypothetical, think long and hard about this.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I generally wouldn't consider someone who has pledged and dropped unless he had a very good reason for dropping (e.g., hazing). If your reason is that you pledged a bottom tier house, but a 2nd tier house is talking to you and they get hotter chicks, your plan might not work out.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The reason is the fraternity is starting to just get really lazy. Meetings and events being cancelled left and right just minutes before they were supposed to start. Active members not even bothering to show up to the events they organize etc. there was some indication of this happening early in the semester but it has gotten worse recently. My fellow pledges feel the same way as this sentiment is agreed upon between us.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

People can get burned out toward the end of the year, and some older members start to look toward graduation, summer internships, girlfriends, etc. and just become all-around less gung-ho about events. If you and your fellow pledges are motivated together, you can pick up the slack. That's pretty typical...the new blood keeps the group invigorated. Is the chapter president motivated? Talk to him.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-29-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:06 PM

This is the time of year when no one, and I mean no one, gives a shit. Particularly if Greek Week is held in the fall and/or the semester formal has already happened.

It sounds like you and the rest of your PC have a good bond and are all on the same page. If you like the other members and what the fraternity stands for, I would stick with it. You guys could be the ones who turn things around (if it is deeper than end of year blahs) and that's a great feeling.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapyIllusion View Post
The reason is the fraternity is starting to just get really lazy. Meetings and events being cancelled left and right just minutes before they were supposed to start. Active members not even bothering to show up to the events they organize etc. there was some indication of this happening early in the semester but it has gotten worse recently. My fellow pledges feel the same way as this sentiment is agreed upon between us.
A better plan is to go through with initiation, as it will be YOUR pledge class running things when you return in the fall.