GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,849
0 members and 1,849 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Well there's a perfect world and there's the real world.
This isn't about perfect world versus real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Some of these folks aren't too interested in making positive choices.
That goes for all people. But this topic is about more than that.

Quote:
There was a proposal in Louisiana a number of years ago, or just the beginnings of one which would have paid folks to voluntarily be sterilized. Sounded like a good plan except folks were screaming about it being eugenics.
It is eugenics because they are targeting particular demographics.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
It is eugenics because they are targeting particular demographics.
People who can't afford to have children seems like a legitimate demographic to focus on.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
People who can't afford to have children seems like a legitimate demographic to focus on.
Because you believe in eugenics.

The average person in every socioeconomic status is financially and mentally-emotionally under-prepared for parenthood. Either preach to EVERYONE about birth control and parenthood preparation or preach to NO ONE. Do not only target lower socioeconomic statuses which will disproportionately target racial and ethnic minorities.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because you believe in eugenics.

The average person in every socioeconomic status is financially and mentally-emotionally under-prepared for parenthood. Either preach to EVERYONE about birth control and parenthood preparation or preach to NO ONE. Do not only target lower socioeconomic statuses which will disproportionately target racial and ethnic minorities.
I'm not sure it would disproportionately target racial and ethnic minorities. There are more poor whites than any other minority. But so what if it does? We could eliminate generational poverty in a generation or two.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure it would disproportionately target racial and ethnic minorities. There are more poor whites than any other minority.
You need to learn what is meant by "disproportionate(ly)". Seriously. Read about it.

Quote:
But so what if it does? We could eliminate generational poverty in a generation or two.
Wow. Have you not kept up with the failed attempts of the past 50+ years? Read. Before you rally behind any law and policy. Read. Read. Read. Everything that appears new is old.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-13-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow. Have you not kept up with the failed attempts of the past 50+ years? Read. Before you rally behind any law and policy. Read. Read. Read.
^^^this. You want to teach people to fish rather than give them a fish? The make sure education works at all levels and ages. You want to prevent people from becoming disabled? Have a healthcare system that works for all socioeconomic groups not just the well to do. You want folks to be working? Don't allow companies to profit off of the community if they do not participate in the community (no drug sales to populace if you don't pay taxes and employ people from the populace.)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I'm not sure it would disproportionately target racial and ethnic minorities. There are more poor whites than any other minority. But so what if it does? We could eliminate generational poverty in a generation or two.
You're a sicko. That's all I've got.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Banned

I hope he was just trolling and really knows all of this stuff. I hope.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You're a sicko. That's all I've got.
Quote:
I hope he was just trolling and really knows all of this stuff. I hope.
Yes and probably not, unfortunately.

This psycho who proposed the plan could have at least couched it in "population control to save the planet's resources" and offered the payment to anyone - rich or poor - who decided to get sterilized. Even though it probably would end up with the same result he was gunning for.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes and probably not, unfortunately.

This psycho who proposed the plan could have at least couched it in "population control to save the planet's resources" and offered the payment to anyone - rich or poor - who decided to get sterilized. Even though it probably would end up with the same result he was gunning for.
I agree.

If people choose to be sterilized it should be a conscious and well-informed decision not based on economic (and racial and ethnic) disadvantage. Don't target poor people with an overrepresentation of racial and ethnic minorities, frighten them, misinform them, and entice them with "free". This song has been sung plenty of times in the USA and around the world for generations.

I really want Kevin, some politicians, some community leaders, and some policy makers to research and read. Actually research and read some news articles, books, and peer-reviewed journal articles from 1900-2014.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-13-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 PM

And the other thing that kills me is...I have friends (middle class and white) who have asked for hysterectomies or tubal ligations and had doctors refuse because "you're too young to know what you want" and "you may want babies someday. You are a woman, of course!" But that's a different thread and a different struggle, I suppose.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Banned

It's extremely connected to this thread and this struggle.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
^^^this. You want to teach people to fish rather than give them a fish? The make sure education works at all levels and ages. You want to prevent people from becoming disabled? Have a healthcare system that works for all socioeconomic groups not just the well to do. You want folks to be working? Don't allow companies to profit off of the community if they do not participate in the community (no drug sales to populace if you don't pay taxes and employ people from the populace.)
I'm resigned to the fact that even if we spent trillions of dollars on public education and welfare and trying to teach people to fish, they're not going to do it. There are people who refuse to make positive life choices no matter what their opportunities are. It would be wise to entice them to make a voluntary choice to sterilize themselves.

In the past, these sorts of agendas just weren't ambitious enough and were blatantly targeted towards racial minorities. I would say make sterilization and payment available to anyone who wants it. Are meth heads looking for cash for their next fix going to disproportionately take this pay day? I hope so!

What are your solutions to these problems? Bitching endlessly about privilege?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
It would be wise to entice them to make a voluntary choice to sterilize themselves.
Only based on your definition of "wise".

Quote:
In the past, these sorts of agendas just weren't ambitious enough and were blatantly targeted towards racial minorities.
I encourage you to research the "ambition" of past agendas. Targeting the poor and targeting drug addicts is eugenics. The racial component is an added detriment of eugenics. It isn't THE detriment of eugenics.

Quote:
Are meth heads looking for cash for their next fix going to disproportionately take this pay day? I hope so!
And Adolf Hitler's eugenics and racial cleansing were simply about pride and intellectual-educational-economic success. The world is all the better because of Hitler. Folks are just too ungrateful and shortsighted to see.

(Does Kevin now know the definition of "disproportionately"?)

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-13-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh hi, how've y'all been?

I'm pro population control but I think it should be done via taxation similar to how it's done in China. The first kid is free and for each additional child you pay a higher tax burden, essentially the complete opposite of what we have in place now.