GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,268
1 members and 2,267 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
And for what it's worth....

I'm largely indifferent where the young, cheerleader is concerned. Legal? Yes. Distasteful? Yes. However, ISIS is conducting mass beheadings in Syria right now. That is, they are cutting the heads off of many human beings. Interestingly, the U.S. public seems to be more up in arms over the cheerleader.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ying-violence/
Start a new thread. I hate when people do what you're trying to do. The news has extensively covered ISIS and many people in the USA and around the world are outraged.

Back to the thread topic for those of us who are able to multitask.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2014, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You seem to assume that damage has been done.
She's receiving a ton of negative press and the news reported that she has also received death threats. I would call that "damage."

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

She's probably going to get a reality TV show.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-foo...acebook-070214

Those of you who screamingly disapprove? Yup. Part of her plan.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I highly doubt anyone in this thread is unaware of negative attention being part of her plan.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say how proud I am of this young lady. She can bring home the bacon AND fry it up in a pan! At least that's what we say down here in the south.

Hunting is a sport and usually done for food or for thinning a growing population. If the herd gets too big and there isn't enough food to go around, everybody starves. Most wild game preserves has a very good game management program where they know exactly how many animals need to be taken off the land to preserve balance. You don't want these animals roaming the streets of town looking for food do you?

Obviously this young lady is working with local vets to help control the animal population and make sure all the animals remain healthy.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I for one am proud of this brave young lady.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

I think her primary interest is scoring a reality show contract rather than thinning herds or working with native peoples. But that said, it looks like it's a good strategy and this young lady is headed towards a massive payday.

This reminds me of the flack concerning certain some homophobic utterances by that gentleman on Duck Dynasty. That turned into millions of dollars worth of free publicity, much improved merchandising deals from companies like Cracker Barrel in exchange for a little slap on the wrist from the network. Now their ratings are better than ever.

She is taking advantage of the sharp political/cultural divide in our society. There are millions of right-wing, gun totin', God fearin' folk who will lap this up in hopes that some librul' somewhere will be offended.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Just wondering, are any of these animals edible? I mean I know that if you had to you could, but would you want to?

Re that comment navane posted, coupling hunting and conservation just sounds kind of like coupling rape and sex education.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think her primary interest is scoring a reality show contract rather than thinning herds or working with native peoples.
I agree.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Just wondering, are any of these animals edible? I mean I know that if you had to you could, but would you want to?

Re that comment navane posted, coupling hunting and conservation just sounds kind of like coupling rape and sex education.
In the US, groups like Ducks Unlimited bring a lot of money to conservation and lots of votes. They provide vocal support for conservative politicians to get behind conservation efforts with money and programs. NRA members are a huge voice in US politics and they are very interested in conservation issues because many of them hunt.

In places in Africa, hunting tourism brings money that contributes to the local economy and supports preserving habitat for these animals. I personally wouldn't hunt these animals, but limited hunting provides impetus to preserve important habitat and species.

That said, I sort of hate this chick. She's not educating people. She's not working to preserve habitat. She's not promoting understanding. She's exploiting a cultural divide for her own gain. She's profiting by making Americans scream at each other over a cultural divide. She's a nasty little fame whore who is representative of everything wrong with reality TV.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

You can't really call her a fame whore without calling all of Hollywood and most politicians the same! This obviously is a hobby of hers. Obviously her family encourages this hobby. If she wants to capitalize on this hobby, more power to her!

She wouldn't be darting rhinos to help the local vet fix a broken leg is she didn't have compassion for animals.

My own daughters hunt and often post pictures of themselves with their "trophies" on Facebook. We then process the animals for food and use the hides for pillows, rugs, throws etc. nothing is wasted. Neither of them is looking to star in a reality series. They just want to share with their friends the victories of the hunt.

Don't be too hard on a girl who had been encouraged by her family her whole life to hunt animals. From a woman who's family owns a wild game ranch, there is a such think as responsible hunting and wildlife management.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post

That said, I sort of hate this chick. She's not educating people. She's not working to preserve habitat. She's not promoting understanding. She's exploiting a cultural divide for her own gain. She's profiting by making Americans scream at each other over a cultural divide. She's a nasty little fame whore who is representative of everything wrong with reality TV.
Yep.

Hearttoheart - I have no problem with hunting. I grew up in a town where they post pictures and lists of deer and bear kills in the newspaper. And LOTS of girls hunt. But they sure as hell don't do it in full makeup and pose for pics where they're eye humping the camera.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I thought that most people understood that ISIS and Al Queda = bad guys.
Yeah, and what if they're beheading one another? They are rivals.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post

Don't be too hard on a girl who had been encouraged by her family her whole life to hunt animals. From a woman who's family owns a wild game ranch, there is a such think as responsible hunting and wildlife management.
I'm not hard on her for hunting. I understand why people hunt.

What bothers me personally is that she is standing over a dead animal that is considered to be endangered, or nearly endangered. She's smiling and gloating over her kill of these animals.

I think if she had the same pose/smile with deer, which is not considered to be endangered, then this would not even be news.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
You can't really call her a fame whore without calling all of Hollywood and most politicians the same!
They are all fame whores to varying extents. DUH. What now?

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-04-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yep.

Hearttoheart - I have no problem with hunting. I grew up in a town where they post pictures and lists of deer and bear kills in the newspaper. And LOTS of girls hunt. But they sure as hell don't do it in full makeup and pose for pics where they're eye humping the camera.
This. Most people don't have a legit professional video crew document their hunts. They don't say they hope to get a TV show.

If you hunt because you love to hunt, awesome! Have a blast! But if you're just killing animals for the purpose of trying to get on reality TV that's not right imo.