GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 878
0 members and 878 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Valerie Harper sued for having cancer, not disclosing

Valerie Harper, star of Rhoda and Dancing with the Stars participant, has cancer. In January of last year, doctors told her that her lung cancer had progressed to her brain and that she had months to live. As a result of this updated diagnosis, she dropped out of the Broadway production she had contractually agreed to perform in, Looped.

Harper sued for payment even though she had dropped out. The playwright, Lombardo, has filed a counterclaim in the amount of $2 million: $500,000 in lost revenue, and an additional $1.5 million because she knowingly withheld the information that she had cancer.

The best source I've found:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1770673

---

So, the Americans with Disabilities Act makes it pretty clear that you can't discriminate based on health concerns like cancer. I'm not sure why Lombardo thinks Harper was required to disclose her ill health.

Suing an elderly woman with cancer is not a good way to make friends, that's for sure. The move is not being received favorably.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 PM

SHE sued FIRST to try and get money for work she didn't perform. This is a countersuit. Also, Valerie Harper isn't known for being the sanest person in the entertainment world.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Could be something in her contract that stipulated she inform her employer about any long-term illness.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Could be something in her contract that stipulated she inform her employer about any long-term illness.
Right. That (unfortunately) happened to my godsister.

Though what would lead her to sue for compensation for work she didn't/couldn't do?

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Again, depends on what the contract says but my instinct based on past performance is she's a little too big for her britches.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Lombardo gives a brief interview about the situation here. He seems to be blaming everything on Harper's husband.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Would have to read the contract to have a real opinion, but at first glance, it would seem that the non-disclosure of a material fact which renders performance impossible could be a bad thing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-30-2014, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Would have to read the contract to have a real opinion, but at first glance, it would seem that the non-disclosure of a material fact which renders performance impossible could be a bad thing.
Agreed.

I've acted in a few independent films, and for two of them, I had to disclose any health issues that could potentially lead to me not being able to fulfill my contract(s). In one of them, not being able to show up for my shoot dates would have led to wasted money in equipment rentals and paychecks for crew (most of the crew/cast are on deferred payment should the film get distributed, but there were some personnel costs related to equipment usage).

I imagine for a broadway show, especially one that's developed/produced around the notoriety of the main actor/actress, there's a huge potential for large financial losses should someone not be able to perform. (If you watch Glee, this week's episode dealt with something similar.)

Old 05-17-2014, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But that could be a defense to the claim rather than the basis for a counterclaim, right?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
But that could be a defense to the claim rather than the basis for a counterclaim, right?
I was commenting on the claim. I couldn't tell you what the counterclaim might be. I can't even imagine what a viable counterclaim would be with the facts we know about.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was commenting on the claim. I couldn't tell you what the counterclaim might be. I can't even imagine what a viable counterclaim would be with the facts we know about.
It sounds like it's a counterclaim that she breached the contract through some misrepresentation regarding her health.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Doh.. I wasn't remembering what happened and went back and reread. My brain was putting the parties on opposite sides of the v.