GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,454
0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 10-22-2001, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Guys, chill out--its an innocent question. She's going up to another school to party--of course she wants to know who's cool and who's not, who's cute and who's not. She's not looking to base her opinion of an entire national GLO on one chapter, she just wants to have a good time.

So while you or I may find the question silly--we're also not in the planning stages of a trip up to UCLA to hook up with some guys and have a good time.

When my friends and I go out, 10 years post college now, we want to go to the bars/clubs where there are hot guys--eye candy is fun! Just as guys want to go where the hot girls are. Its human nature, and she's in college and young and looking for fun.

I am sure she means no harm by her question, and is seriously, innocently just looking for an answer to her original quesitons.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2001, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Well I don't know . . . if I were going to just party and have a good time somewhere . . I would want to know where the best looking and most fun girls were and the most outrageous parties . . but that is just me.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:03 PM

ROFL!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by brooklineu
Oh my God! This, is like, the most important question ever! If I was like, going to a party, I would so want the cute boys party, who wants to be around the geeks? They have no party I want to be at! That would make me look, like, so bad, huh? I mean, what kind of girl hangs out with geeks? I'd be like, an outcast, with an ugly boyfriend! Oh my Gawd! I would like, die! As long as I look cute and can stand next to someone cute, at least I'll know that I'm not superficial at all!
OMG, this is the FUNNIEST!!!! Your impressive flair for writing dialogue is coming through; maybe you could introduce an airhead character into your story? Brava, Brooklineu!
Old 10-23-2001, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No, she's only basing her opinion of human beings on purely superficial reasons. But that's OK, right?
Yes, it is.

Because its a first impression, Who doesn't want to be around people they are attracted to -- while its someone's looks that may attract me-- its their personality, their mind, their heart and soul that keep me interested.

I think we're all being way too testy here. Most people are going to want to be around people they think are cute. There is NO CRIME in that.

Amy
Old 10-23-2001, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I base my opinions on people on superfical reasons. I like people who make me feel good. That is superfical, because in the greater scheem of things, how much fun i have with a person has no bearing at all on how good of a person he/she is.

So to answer the girl's question, after half this board tore her a new @$$hole, is (dramatical "dun dun DUHN" type music) Theta Chi.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:

No, she's only basing her opinion of human beings on purely superficial reasons. But that's OK, right?
Too vague.

She's basing her opinion of what kind of person she'd like to spend time with, whether that would mean in a biblical sense or just knocking down a few cocktails, during her limited stay at UCLA.

I don't really feel that she, in any way, insinuated that she was judging these people in an overall sense based upon looks, or social skills, or ability to throw a raging party.

She's obviously looking for one type of experience while at UCLA . . . so she's actively seeking out people with which to have this type of experience. Seems healthy to me.

Plus, since all value judgements are subjective, not only does your definition of 'superficial' most likely differ from hers, but also your ways to define and form opinions on others will be implicitly different - Let's allow that.

Bottom line: in this situation, most of us would not be adverse to meeting someone attractive. How you judge a person "attractive" certainly varies between each of us, but no way is more 'right' than the other. Just different.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: Superficial????

Actually I have been to Brookelineu's web site and will testify that she ie beyond cute, or at least she takes a
great picture. Tall slender with an attractive face. Pretty might be a better word. I would talk to her at a party. And I freely admit to being shallow and quite appreciative of the opposite sex. Meaning the girls that I think are good looking, will be objectively good looking. I like being shallow, it makes my life simpler.

So given a choice, I like to be surrounded with good looking women . . . shrug . . . shoot me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Meticulous
Brooklineu,

Are you grotesquely obese and would serve as an "eye sore" rather than "eye candy" or do you have other reasons for being SO critical? Do you always go looking for frogs instead of princes? Do you go to parties to see who has the biggest brains or the biggest butts? I mean you call her superficial, but there is no cause for your hostility. Do you always get "dissed" by the good looking guys? Naturally you would want to find the best outward appearance of a person while searching for the best inward personality. But afterall, she only wants to go to a party. Lay off, would you?
Old 10-24-2001, 11:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I continue to reiterate the point that it's Halloween, and if you end up at the ugly fraternity, they'll be wearing masks!! Just make him keep it on if you're going to hook up with him so you won't have to see his face.

Sorry kids, but I guess there are bigger things in life than "what fraternity has the cutest boys to hook up with". I guess, once again, my old age shows through. Show me to my walker.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

brooklineu-- i agree with your statement--"I just think it looks bad to publicly go on about getting with only cute guys and partiers. Is there no discretion here? Talk about making yourself look bad" In theory-- Like we would not do this in a group gathering of strangers unless we were idiots. But this being a pretty anonymous way to get a question answered--esp for people like Flirty, who dropped in to ask this and hasn't posted heavily elsewhere--

Well, I think this is the kind of place that we CAN ask the questions we might be embarassed, or afraid, or simply know better than to ask in person.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:09 AM
GreekChat Member

As President of a fraternity at UCLA, I could answer that question.

But if I were you, I would worry more about the guys being assholes than being ugly. If you want to avoid the slick, arrogant preppy types, you will want to avoid at least SAE and Theta Xi. I would avoid Sigma Phi Epsilon unless you are a brain dead freshman dorm girl. I don't really know anyone in Phi Kappa Psi or Sigma Nu, but they also appear to be preppy types. I don't know many Beta Theta Pi guys but they seem all right. If you are looking for a fraternity that can party but has some socially conscious members who are "real," I would suggest Pi Kappa Phi, Theta Chi, Delta Sigma Phi, Sigma Pi, ZBT, or Alpha Epsilon Pi. There are quality guys in each of those fraternities. Of course, from your message it appears that you aren't interested in quality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by awatters; 12-03-2001 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DukeBlue
*snerk*

brooklineu beat me to the airhead impression.

Which is more, for me, based on the tone/wording/obvious immaturity/etc of her posts than her question. Although the question has something to do with it as well. Before I saw that she was a college student I pegged her for about 15 or 16.

I'm also amused that three of her total of four posts here are in this thread..

Like, for sure!

Old 12-03-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Flirty, what house are you in?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:12 PM

Talking

Andy!
You've finally returned.
Welcome Back
Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

help

Please, I'm a visiting researcher at UCLA (Electrical Engineering). I'm from Italy and now I'm looking for renting a room from august 22 till 1september for my boyfriend coming from Italy to meet me.
Can anyone help me?
It'll be great if I can find a room to rent to a very conveniente price!
Please, email me at danielag@ee.ucla.edu if you can help me.
Thanks a lot
Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

you're visiting an electrical engineer? i know that ucla has an engineering fraternity, they are called Triangle Fraternity at UCLA, they have really cheap rooms for rent too