GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,359
2 members and 2,357 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2004, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Related to white privilege: Discrimination from your "own kind"

As a member of a minority group, I've felt more discrimination from my own ethnic group than from anyone else, usually based on my personal interests/lifestyle. For example, after watching "Legally Blonde II" this summer, my cousin (who is from Hong Kong) said that I was "really uptown". It's as if she didn't approve of the way I dressed or what I did for fun. Another girl once criticized my choice of undergraduate institutions, saying that they were "sooooooooooooooooooo white". I know that many people in GC have said that they've faced "issues" when they became new members of historically white GLOs, but how about outside of the Greek System?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Story of my life from fifth grade to my senior year in high school...I still get it from members of my external family.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Related to white privilege: Discrimination from your "own kind"

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
As a member of a minority group, I've felt more discrimination from my own ethnic group than from anyone else, usually based on my personal interests/lifestyle. For example, after watching "Legally Blonde II" this summer, my cousin (who is from Hong Kong) said that I was "really uptown". It's as if she didn't approve of the way I dressed or what I did for fun. Another girl once criticized my choice of undergraduate institutions, saying that they were "sooooooooooooooooooo white". I know that many people in GC have said that they've faced "issues" when they became new members of historically white GLOs, but how about outside of the Greek System?
could it be that subconsciously you discriminate as well and that's why you see the differences so blatantly?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to miss4thofjuly
does it have to be discrimination? sometimes people have nothing in common. sometimes people ignore you because you aren't important to their life. it isn't always the D word. Sometimes people just don't give a isht about anything but themselves.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miss4thofjuly
does it have to be discrimination? sometimes people have nothing in common. sometimes people ignore you because you aren't important to their life. it isn't always the D word. Sometimes people just don't give a isht about anything but themselves.
Yeah, I don't think it always have to with discrimination. Just plain prejudice and ignorance. Within my own racial group I'm hated for what's inside. From people outside of my racial group I'm hated for what's outside. I'm screwed either way. This is why I try to judge people on an individual basis. When it comes to judging people on a group basis, it's like choosing the lesser of two evils.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
This was discussed at length over on AKA Ave.: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=14500

My take? It hurts, but so what? You're grown and can shape your own destiny. Shake those haters and keep moving forward.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
This was discussed at length over on AKA Ave.: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=14500

My take? It hurts, but so what? You're grown and can shape your own destiny. Shake those haters and keep moving forward.
Right. just handle your business and not worry about what those haters say.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!