GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,203
3 members and 1,200 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034, UofISigKap

Old 06-26-2005, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Happy Gammaversary!
Old 06-26-2005, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Yay!

Happy Gammaversary Kelly!!

I am so glad to call you my little sister!
Old 06-26-2005, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww how sweet! Love those pictures!
Old 06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Banned

Whoo hoo! Go out and celebrate!!!
Old 06-26-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Gammaversary to you! I'm so glad to count you among my sisters.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Happy Anniversary, girl!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Anniversary!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Kelly, it only seems like Yesterday!

Still have the Post Card You sent to me from England!

Congratulations to a very Sweet Person, a Credit to GPhiB, and a True Member of Life!

One of the Longest waits of AI Members but well worth it for You!

You are Special!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-27-2005, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Gammaversary, Kelly!!!

Old 06-27-2005, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Gammaversary!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Happy Gammaversary!

Hooray for you!

I am so glad that you are enjoying your sisterhood!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi all,

Two years have since passed since I became a Gamma Phi. Wow, two years seems like it was just yesterday....yet so long ago! I just wanted to take a moment to share more thoughts and give a little update about my AI journey.

I started out my experience by volunteering to help out at recruitment for Beta Lambda (SDSU) and Epsilon Gamma (Univ. of San Diego). This was great because I got a chance to learn more about collegian sorority life, learn about some of the inner workings, and enjoy the excitement of it all.

Then, I attended some young alum and San Diego alum events and got to know my new sisters. Eventually, one outstanding Gamma Phi convinced me to join the House Corporation Board for SDSU's chapter. I don't have any experience overseeing property; but, I wanted to get involved. This fall I will be starting my second year on HCB. We just hired a new cook and a new House Director!

The ladies of the San Diego Alumnae Chapter have never thought twice about including me into activities or meetings. They think it's great that I am an AI and they have received me into the fold just like they would any other sister. When we attended SDSU's Senior Celebration Luncheon, they included me as a presenter/reader in the alumnae welcoming ceremony.

Though I am the youngest participating member of the San Diego Alumnae Association, I was recently elected to serve as the Membership Vice President for 2006-2007. I feel honored that they think of me well-enough to give me such an important job. I am excited about having the opportunity to contribute.

It's always a risk to intitiate an alumnae as you don't know if she'll stick around or not. Gamma Phi Beta took a chance on me and I am so glad they did. My Big Sister, Cele, put herself on the line to sponsor me. She believed in me and, in turn, I hope I'll do her proud. I see the other alums and am amazed that they've been involved for 30-40-50 years. It's only been two years for me.... I feel like my journey with Gamma Phi Beta is still in the beginning stages.

There are still a number of people on GreekChat who are hoping for AI. I want these women to understand that their participation will go on after the initiation ceremony. I only "just now" feel like I am on the verge of really sinking my teeth into what it means to be a Gamma Phi Beta.

Your journey does *not* end with your receiving an invitiation to join....it is then that it really begins.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Kelly,

Thanks for continuing to share your story with us! It's obvious that Gamma Phi Beta picked a jewel in you! You continue to be an inspiration!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Kelly,
Congrats on this wonderful milestone! Your words really mean a lot to me as a begin my life as an Alpha Sigma Alpha. I hope to have a good experience like you have had.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

June 26, 2004

Ten years ago today I was initiated into Gamma Phi Beta.

I knew that it would be a good experience; but, I really had no idea what Gamma Phi Beta would come to mean to me. It all started when one woman saw the potential in me and implored me to consider her beloved sisterhood. Having met her and several sisters around town, I knew I was in the right place. You just know. And before I knew it, she was standing by my side, guiding me through my initiation ritual in front of 600 sisters at convention. She continues to stand by me today. Thank you, GPhiBLtColonel, for being to me an outstanding example of a Gamma Phi Beta who gives her best to her sorority.

Being an alumna initiate is not without its controversies, I suppose. There's always a question about if the person is "deserving" or not or if their reasons for coming into the sisterhood were legitimate enough. I couldn't tell you if I was ever truly deserving; though, I suppose the sorority thought well enough of me to invite me to membership. What I can tell you is that not once has a Gamma Phi Beta ever treated me poorly or differently for being an alumna initiate. I have been loved and accepted the same as any other sister - my contributions valued and recognized.

I started off the first year getting my feet wet by attending alumnae chapter events. The following year I joined the House Corporation Board, on which I continued to serve for 8 years. Back at my alumnae chapter, I was elected to the position of Membership Vice President. We still laugh about it today; but, I only found out that I had been nominated and voted in as MVP when I opened the newsletter and saw my name on the executive board list! I was then elected to President and served two terms in a row, which comes out to four years straight. Amongst the many adventures I have had were volunteering at formal recruitment every year, serving as a delegate at the 2008 convention, being a faculty-staff adviser and, yes, I even lived in the chapter house for a couple of months as House Mom to fill in while we hired a new lady. In 2006, I received the Region 7 Clara Worden Award for outstanding contribution by an alumna initiate. This past year I received the IIKE Award for meritorious service on the local level. No, I'm not special or wonderful. It's easy to give your best to something you believe in and you have a lot of great women to work with.

And what of the sisterhood? How can I even begin to describe all of the neat and wonderful women I have come to regard as friends? You know, I lost my mother when I was only 21 years old. What a blessing it is to have women in my life who can offer words of wisdom when I need them. If I were to have a family of my own someday, it's comforting to know that I wouldn't have to wing it alone if I was flustered about how to handle the baby's teething or some such situation. More than that, they are a source of encouragement and inspiration today. For example, a number of years ago, I had toyed with the idea of becoming a firefighter. I figured I was too old and that it was probably a silly idea. Then I saw an article in The Crescent magazine, spotlighting a sister out of Oklahoma who was a Fire Captain. Like me, she had gotten a late start to the fire service in her early 30s, but she still rose to success. I contacted her and thanked her for sharing her story. We struck up a friendship. She encouraged me to reach for my dreams and that, no, I wasn't too old. When I took some firefighter classes at the community college, she even helped me with a homework assignment that I had gotten stuck on! Well, wouldn't you know it, I ended up getting hired as a full-time firefighter. Just last week I interviewed for a job as a Fire Captain. We have come full circle and I have a Gamma Phi Beta sister to thank for it.

I can also tell you how impressed I have been with the sorority's genuine efforts to provide positive programming for the collegiate and alumnae members. It is easy to look through our website and magazine and be proud. I see what our collegiate members are accomplishing and I feel proud. Indeed, I am proud to be a part of such an outstanding sisterhood.

Being an alumna initiate has been a learning experience, yes. I do hope that I have earned my place in the sisterhood and that the efforts of my sisters to sponsor my membership was not a waste. 10 years is a long time; but, it is really only a beginning.

True and Constant