GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,463
3 members and 1,460 guests
Roses78, Titchou

Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
What annoys me is when women deactivate, drop, go inactive, resign, whatever. But then still want to show up at social events. or come as a "date" of another sister to formal, semi-formal, date parties, etc. Basically they want all the "fun" stuff but none of the work. And then women in the chapter that are "friends" with these women don't understand what the big deal is about inviting them along. It might be harsh, but I would love to be able to ban them from all sorority social events and from visiting the chapter house. (yes I know there are valid reasons for dropping out, but they are few and far between IMO)
This ^.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
On a somewhat related note. My University just ran an article re: returning recruitment to TWO WEEKENDS (with a week in between.)

This was the structure while I was active up until like 2008.

In 2008, they went to a TH-SUNDAY model (and two days for Round 1.)

They are returning to 2 weekends with the hope that it will return recruitment to a values-based experience and improve retention.

http://www.kentwired.com/latest_upda...efe86f1f2.html

Thoughts:

1. I do not think it is a bad change but I wonder if the length of a process is really what makes it values based? Values based has to start in the process itself.

2. Even with two weekends, we still had retention issues.

3. The community has obviously grown since the change (added 2 more chapters.)

4. Few are old enough to remember this but the change was aimed at keeping PNMs from dropping out of recruitment during that week in between.Commuter-y school. Greek community and recruitment itself was smaller. Girls would be unhappy with their parties on that Sunday for Philanthropy and drop. Or get House Tours invites they did not want and drop. There was a struggle to retain PNMs when there were only like 120 of them to begin with.

The phrase “values based” makes me absolutely stabby.

When I saw this on your FB I didn’t click the link and thought it meant spacing out parties throughout the week. Two weekends seems like it’ll be the exact same amount of time, so what’s the point?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
At the chapters I've advised prior to my last placement, disaffiliation was never really an issue. Women were committed to the organization and knew the expectations. I took a 7 year break between advising stints, and with the chapter I currently advise, disaffiliation is thrown around all the time. And it's not just our chapter, it's campus-wide. I don't know why or when this change happened. And in my 4.5 years active, we never had one woman self-disaffiliate. Women may have depledged during the NM period every once in awhile, but once initiated, women didn't leave. It's truly disheartening to watch some days.
In any volunteer role I have ever had, I have had zero tolerance for the "omg I'm going to quit." It is usually a cry for attention/drama.

The last email I got that was an "I'm going to quit" email, I simply responded "Ok, the exit form is ____. If you'd like to discuss it email me at xxx."

Your chapter sisters can do the "omg pleaseeeee don't quit" dramatics that you so desire. I will not.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The phrase “values based” makes me absolutely stabby.

When I saw this on your FB I didn’t click the link and thought it meant spacing out parties throughout the week. Two weekends seems like it’ll be the exact same amount of time, so what’s the point?
Two weeks is the exact amount of time. With just a week in between. The goal is that the decision will be based more on values rather than the extras - because you added a week in between. Yes. I know.

I am not anti-basing recruitment on things like our values and steering PNMs toward making decisions on things other than superficial factors. BUT.

A time frame does not change the focus of an event. The people have to.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:03 PM

I meant the same amount of time will be spent at the actual parties as four days is four days.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I meant the same amount of time will be spent at the actual parties as four days is four days.
Yes. That. Length of time and number of days spent interacting with members does not change.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

off topic- but has anyone else noticed formal recruitment now being called "primary recruitment"?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-14-2018, 04:15 PM

That’s because of that dumb NPC rule about if you get a bid and drop, you can rerush during the next “primary recruitment” even if it hasn’t been a year. (I beg of you not to get me started on this one.)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
off topic- but has anyone else noticed formal recruitment now being called "primary recruitment"?
Yes, especially if there are chapters that do COB or do a smaller, informal recruitment in another semester or quarter.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
It's still "formal rush" as far as I'm concerned.

And you don't "drop" - you "resign". Much clearer.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:00 PM

Actually, I should have said “quit” because if you aren’t an initiated member of an org you can’t resign from it.