GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,449
3 members and 2,446 guests
AOIIalum, davidsholzeo679

Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
For all you know, we DO have stepping that we do...in private.
Let's not go too far now.

Quote:
and I know NPC chapters that have their own calls that they use in public too (although I believe that is limited to their chapter...)
I particularly find the IFC calls that I've heard extremely sexy.

But here's a big distinction: it tends to be limited to their chapter

Handsigns and calls that are ritual-based (or a nonritual tradition) and common across chapters are different than handsigns and calls that individual chapters create and that many NPC and IFCers may be unfamiliar with.

Yes, these handsigns and calls (and stepping) are not official components of NPHC orgs but they are some of the more visible traditions of NPHC orgs. That's why they are easily picked up by other orgs and many NPHCers hold onto them as a visible part of our identities.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 05-18-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I particularly find the IFC calls that I've heard extremely sexy.
LOL which ones?

None of the IFC chapters here have calls, but my chapter does this thing where whenever we win something or are being recognized for an accomplishment one of the brothers shouts "Can I get a woot-woot??" at the top of his lungs and all the brothers shout... wait for it... "woot woot!"

Lol.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
None of the IFC chapters here have calls, but my chapter does this thing where whenever we win something or are being recognized for an accomplishment one of the brothers shouts "Can I get a woot-woot??" at the top of his lungs and all the brothers shout... wait for it... "woot woot!"

Lol.
That created a The Village People image for me. But I'm sure it's one of those "you have to be there" things.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That created a The Village People image for me. But I'm sure it's one of those "you have to be there" things.
LOL it is. It sounds better in real life than it seems on the internet.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I do find it funny, though, when a MCGLO gets angry because another MCGLO is 'copying' them, but they do things like say, "XYZ INCORPORATED!", put on step shows and do other things that are definitely traditionally associated with the BGLOs.
When does this happen? The only time I've ever seen MCGLOs get upset about copycatting is when it's direct theft of organizational identity such as stealing pieces of a website, having letters that are intentionally similar (not going to call anyone out but this has happened recently with a multicultural sorority and there are issues with a Latina sorority that I'm aware of), using terminology that is specific to an org (for instance, another sorority in Florida started using the term "Emergence" to spite our chapters down there), or stealing concepts directly (like if a multicultural sorority other than Theta Nu Xi started calling their members "Theta Women").

It's like if someone signs onto Greek Chat with the screenname Blue1920 or DeltaDiva and is not a member of Zeta Phi Beta or Delta Sigma Theta, respectively. It raises eyebrows.

Things like stepping, strolling, saluting, etc., while they may be points of contention for some, are really nothing worth fighting over as has been mentioned many times on GC.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
When does this happen? The only time I've ever seen MCGLOs get upset about copycatting is when it's direct theft of organizational identity such as stealing pieces of a website, having letters that are intentionally similar (not going to call anyone out but this has happened recently with a multicultural sorority and there are issues with a Latina sorority that I'm aware of), using terminology that is specific to an org (for instance, another sorority in Florida started using the term "Emergence" to spite our chapters down there), or stealing concepts directly (like if a multicultural sorority other than Theta Nu Xi started calling their members "Theta Women").

It's like if someone signs onto Greek Chat with the screenname Blue1920 or DeltaDiva and is not a member of Zeta Phi Beta or Delta Sigma Theta, respectively. It raises eyebrows.

Things like stepping, strolling, saluting, etc., while they may be points of contention for some, are really nothing worth fighting over as has been mentioned many times on GC.
You know, I mentioned it because I see QNXi members on here upset all the time because another organization shares two letters (Phi Nu Xi, I believe?). By those standards, as an Alpha Sigma Tau, I should be VERY angry about Alpha Sigma Alpha! How dare they?? Copycats! In all seriousness, however, this is relative to my point - you can't ASSUME they're copying you. You don't KNOW that. And until you can say, with 100% certainty, that they are deliberately infringing on QNXi, then I find it a bit presumptuous to accuse them of it.

As far as using specific terminology, refer to my last post - the deliberate use of the word 'incorporated', using the term 'aspirants', etc are all directly from the NPHC...and I've seen them used by MCGLOs on this board repeatedly. I don't have anything against QNXi - don't get me wrong, I think MCGLOs can be great - but I do see a lot of hypocrisy sometimes.

If someone had the handle DeltaDiva, by the way, I would not be at all surprised to find they were a Tri Delt, which is part of my point. DST does not own the label 'Delta'. If someone in a local or national org used that as a reference, I would not immediately think they were copying DST...but some would, and that's not necessarily realistic.

Basically, my overall point here is that: a). You can never assume someone is copying you, and b). As members of GLOs, we are ALL going to have similarities in how we do things, even if it's as base as using Greek letters for our names. No one has really drawn the line over what's okay to use from existing Greeks, and what's not. I think WE all, as Greeks, have a good idea - but those founding local sororities may not have the same conception as some here that they are apparently not allowed to use calls or handsigns...at all.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

But here's a big distinction: it tends to be limited to their chapter

Handsigns and calls that are ritual-based (or a nonritual tradition) and common across chapters are different than handsigns and calls that individual chapters create and that many NPC and IFCers may be unfamiliar with.

Yes, these handsigns and calls (and stepping) are not official components of NPHC orgs but they are some of the more visible traditions of NPHC orgs. That's why they are easily picked up by other orgs and many NPHCers hold onto them as a visible part of our identities.
Right, and I think it's fair to say that a lot of newer GLOs, especially those targeted towards African Americans or marketed as MCGLOs, do take it from the NPHC. However, there is ALSO a reasonable window of doubt that they simply have NPCs or IFCs on their campus that do it as well, and took the tradition from them.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
You know, I mentioned it because I see QNXi members on here upset all the time because another organization shares two letters (Phi Nu Xi, I believe?)...In all seriousness, however, this is relative to my point - you can't ASSUME they're copying you. You don't KNOW that. And until you can say, with 100% certainty, that they are deliberately infringing on QNXi, then I find it a bit presumptuous to accuse them of it.
Due to some legal issues that came up, I'm not really at liberty to discuss this situation. But, suffice it to say, I am 100% certain that they were deliberately infringing on Theta Nu Xi.

Quote:
As far as using specific terminology, refer to my last post - the deliberate use of the word 'incorporated', using the term 'aspirants', etc are all directly from the NPHC...and I've seen them used by MCGLOs on this board repeatedly.
Again, what I was talking about was organizational. You're talking about "the NPHC." And, I don't want to delve too far into it, but ALL of our organizations are incorporated and NPHC organizations do not all officially use the term "aspirant." I realize these are simply examples you used, but you seem to be missing my point.

Quote:
If someone had the handle DeltaDiva, by the way, I would not be at all surprised to find they were a Tri Delt, which is part of my point. DST does not own the label 'Delta'.
Given what you've posted thus far in this thread, I wouldn't expect you to understand why a non-DST DeltaDiva would raise eyebrows.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 05-18-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
However, there is ALSO a reasonable window of doubt that they simply have NPCs or IFCs on their campus that do it as well, and took the tradition from them.
Rare.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

You say aspirant, I say prospect. You say prospect, I say potential. You say potential, I say wannabe.

Just trying to lighten things up a little.

BTW, we use to just say Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, until we started spelling Inc. out on our official letterhead. The reason had to do with establishing business credibility with our would-be funders and sponsors. Then it became a cool thing to say in steps.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I've seen it, too. But moreso from those who decided to not pursue membership or were denied membership.
Speaking as a Member of an Independent BGLO our members Give our upmost Respect to NPHC Organizations. We know that if it were not for the strides they Made our organization may not be there. I cant speak for eveyone in our organization but for the members in my Chapter these Indidvudals never sought out a NPHC org to join. They wanted to do something different myself Included.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailorMade View Post
Speaking as a Member of an Independent BGLO our members Give our upmost Respect to NPHC Organizations. We know that if it were not for the strides they Made our organization may not be there. I cant speak for eveyone in our organization but for the members in my Chapter these Indidvudals never sought out a NPHC org to join. They wanted to do something different myself Included.
Then... We are not talking about you sweetheart... We are talking about those who are NPHC rejects that decide to share inappropriate information with non-members who later form groups they decide to call GLO.

I can see if stuff is made up, independently and there is a logical progression and reason behind pursuing a new type of organization. Justifiably so, how will said GLO serve the purposes of XYZ group du jour? NO ONE here questions that.

But, if I see another YOU TUBE imitating our steps and sounds because, wow, that's what Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is ALL about--I swear, I am going to barf.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I'll go with a more...sociological look.

Sociologists call it "cross-ghettoization" (I believe it's the term), but it's not the word I would use, nor the word which aptly describes it. Simply put, ethnic minorities tend to reflect other ethnic minorities. The term "cross-ghettoization"(I think) is a somewhat harsher word towards hispanics and other ethnic groups.

In Germany, the black people (which have noooothing in common with African-Americans in America except they're usually only 2nd generation immigrants instead of 10th from Africa)...dress exactly the same as the stereotyped "rap" popular "ghetto" culture. They wear long black t-shirts, saggy jeans, etc. They see the ethnic minorities in America and tend to reflect that culture...even if it has nothing to do with their own. So, perhaps, the other LGLO/MCGLO's, do with NPHC. It's only a theory, I guess, but an interesting one.
You obviously know nothing about this topic and should just stop with these kind of remarks. People of African descent all over the world have a great deal in common so just stop please. I've been to Germany 3 times now courtesy of my workplace which is global and based out of Germany. I have met and socialized with Black people there (some of which are my colleagues) and I can tell you that you are so WRONG WRONG WRONG! Just like other ethnic groups, we embrace our heritage wherever we reside.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 05-18-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Funny, I see that with White teens all of the time. And I live in Minnesota.
I see this all the time where I am also and I live in Philly. People need to stop making remarks based on stereotypes, assumptions, and plain untruths.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Blacks in Germany do have things in common with African Americans.

But what we have in common (and African American culture) can not be reduced to "rap" and "popular ghetto culture." There have always been African diasporic and international racial activism efforts that have connected us on much more meaningful fronts.

Other than those points of clarification, you are misapplying concepts.
I just saw your comment but yes, yes, yes. When will people get it?! When they educate themselves maybe?!