GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,620
0 members and 1,620 guests
No Members online

Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikchick View Post
how could this possibly be a good idea? was the first round not enough of an exercise in pain and humiliation for all concerned?
Apparently not. One black eye isn't enough. They want to go for the kill. I wish they'd let it go but then I'm not a member of DZ so it's different for me.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

DePauw has a response on its web site:

http://www.depauw.edu/news/index.asp?id=19185

The response quotes Ken Owen, a media relations person at DePauw: "We are disappointed in Delta Zeta's decision to initiate legal action. We believe that this lawsuit completely lacks merit and have every confidence that the courts will determine that the University acted lawfully and in the best interests of its students."
Old 03-28-2007, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
Perfect description.

This is blatantly stupid. If there wasn't enough reason to replace this administration at DZ before, there should be now. There is a long and continuous chain of extremely horrible choices being made, and individual DZ sisters are going to have to suffer the aftermath even though this is not THEIR fault. IT'S ONE CHAPTER. LET IT GO. Good lord. I doubt there will be much name clearing, and I don't see how the university is in ANY way shape or form obligated to let them stay there. We're guests of our institutions...that's like being kicked out of the party then trying to break down the door to get back in.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'm not saying I had a lot of faith left! But jeez
Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The lawsuit could have implications for fraternities and sororities nationwide. Generally, universities have no say over the internal operations of fraternities and sororities. "For a university to say, 'If you place this person on alumnae status, then we're not going to let you operate anymore,' the university is deciding that they get to choose the members," O'Neill [Kevin O'Neill, Delta Zeta's attorney] says. "That's a major concern for all the fraternities."

Regardless how anyone may fell about this situation, as Drolefille noted in an earlier post, the above is what this is about. As such, I agree with Mr. O'Neill that this should be a concern for all GLOs. And I am quite confident that every GLO HQ is going to follow this case rather closely.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
The lawsuit could have implications for fraternities and sororities nationwide. Generally, universities have no say over the internal operations of fraternities and sororities. "For a university to say, 'If you place this person on alumnae status, then we're not going to let you operate anymore,' the university is deciding that they get to choose the members," O'Neill [Kevin O'Neill, Delta Zeta's attorney] says. "That's a major concern for all the fraternities."

Regardless how anyone may fell about this situation, as Drolefille noted in an earlier post, the above is what this is about. As such, I agree with Mr. O'Neill that this should be a concern for all GLOs. And I am quite confident that every GLO HQ is going to follow this case rather closely.
DePauw didn't decide to sever ties with DZ until after the media shitstorm that ensued. IIRC These girls were put on Alumnae status in December and DePauw didn't shut them down until 3 months later, after all the media. Although I'm sure DZ's legal team will try to spin it like this, it's pretty clear that DePauw didn't do this purely because of membership issues.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
All I have to say is

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post

I agree. There is something larger at work than trying to repair a reputation. Plus, there may be property issues with the house that we're not aware of, etc. I am not sure a lawsuit is where I would have gone but I think this is something we all need to follow.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

With this lawsuit against DePauw University, does DZ national think they have "A SNOWBALL CHANCE IN HELL" of returning to the university ifand when the DePauw NPC opens for expansion?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
With this lawsuit against DePauw University, does DZ national think they have "A SNOWBALL CHANCE IN HELL" of returning to the university ifand when the DePauw NPC opens for expansion?
Not only DePauw, but they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot and will be lucky if they'll be accepted to colonize when future campuses open for expansion.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Not only DePauw, but they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot and will be lucky if they'll be accepted to colonize when future campuses open for expansion.
they have 157 chapters--it sounds like they are pretty set.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post
Just because they have 157 chapters they should be content with not having to expand?

What about the effects of this negative publicity going into recruitment? What if PNMs don't want DZ and will have a negative opinion of DZ because of this?

157 is a great number, but G-d forbid any more of their chapters will close because the DePauw debacle.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
They got to be really stupid if they think that ANY school opened to colonization will even look at them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post
Just because they have so many chapters doesn't mean they stop looking to add on new chapters.

I feel really bad for the sisters of DZ, I hope their IHQ realizes how much worse they just made the whole situation.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My point was--this likely will not kill them. And I would be willing to bet that many Greek org leaders are cheering them on. When the central notion that we are private membership organizations is eroded, we lose a lot. They have the means to stand up for that on all our behalves and I think that's good.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone seen a copy of the complaint? Anybody know the docket number?