GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 855
0 members and 855 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to I_Love_Penguins
I_Love_Penguins' Rush Experience

Well all my parties are over and tomorrow is bids day! So I figured now is a good time to come by and tell you all about my recruitment experience.

First of all, I'm going to code name the sororities I met with. Since I like American Idol, I'm going to use the names of female AI contestants for sororities names. There were 7 sororities participating in rush here:

Kelly
Fantasia
Diana
Carrie
Jasmine
Kimberley
Jessica

Last Monday: First night of recruitment. Nothing major except "Meet Your Rho Chi" night. They put us in Rho Chi groups by color. I started off in group purple, but was later switched to group white. I also tried to get to know other rushees. Discovered that one of the girls on my floor in the dorm was rushing.

Last Tuesday: Sweeten-ups. Not sure if any other school does this (I haven't heard it mentioned by other schools), but first they put the rushees in one room and did a brief power point on what sisterhood means to some of the girls in Greek Life here. Then we went to another room where the different sororities had tables set up and they talked a bit about their history, how many sisters in their chapter, dues, etc. This was really important for me because it was the start of determining who I could click with.

Last Wednesday/Thursday: Opens. We went to one of the academic buildings and our Rho Chis took us around to different rooms where the sororities again had their displays set up. This was an opportunity to ask any questions you had about the sorority and the sisters also set up various icebreakers. Four sororities were present on Wednesday: the Kellys, the Jasmines, the Carries, and the Jessicas. Thursday there were three sororities: the Kimberleys, the Fantasias, and the Dianas. We also got little gifts from the sororities on our way out of their rooms.

Friday: Informal signups in the Greek Life office here. We had to go into the office during a certain time frame and once we got there, we selected our top five choices for houses we wanted to visit for informals. Rush at my school is not extremely cuthroat...we did not have a ton of girls rushing this semester, so for us, jeans/nice tops were acceptable for informals. For my parties, I selected: the Jasmines, the Jessicas, the Kimberleys, the Fantasias, and the Dianas.

Friday/Saturday: Informals themselves. The rushees had either 2 parties Friday/3 Saturday or vice versa. This is when we actually walked down to the houses (without our Rho Chis) and got to meet the sisters. I was a little nervous but when I was with the Jessicas, I felt completely relaxed. Their house was really well decorated and something just told me I was right at home here. I went to the Jasmines and although the girls were nice and I had heard good things about them, I didn't feel as though I quite clicked with them. The conversations didn't have a good flow to them...and I just wasn't sure if I would want to come back again for formals.

Saturday's parties started early afternoon for me. My first stop was the Fantasias. I think I made a mistake selecting them for informals...not because the girls were rude, but because I just didn't feel like I clicked there. I felt kind of lost...not sure which sisters to talk to, only really talking to other rushess...there was no chemistry here. I knew when I couldn't really make any conversation that I was not going to fit in here.

I went to the Dianas about an hour later. The girls were great and I felt like I was making good conversation with them. I had actually been anticipating coming to their house because this was another informal I had picked without being totally sure if I wanted to be there. Sure enough I ended up liking them, but I wasn't sure if I could be their BEST friends. They seemed to be the girls I could casually hang out with but not be with all the time.

My last informal was the Kimberleys. When I initially arrived, they were finishing up the party with the last group (our informals last an hour), so we had to wait around for a little bit. In that time, I talked with some of the sisters and checked out their scrapbook. The scrapbook got me pretty excited because I am starting to develop an interest in scrapbooking so I mentioned that. Unfortunately, this was my 3rd party of the day and last informal, so I was a little restless. I tried not to let that show through. I knew to be nice to the sisters and not to look bored, but I guess it didn't help much. Maybe they thought I was forcing myself to be nice.

Sunday: No events.

Monday: Went back to Greek Life office to sign up for formals in the time frame specified. Formals were invite only so I was anxious to see where I got invited back to. I wrote down my top three (the Jessicas, the Kimberleys, and the Dianas), but I found out only the Jessicas had invited me back. I was a little disappointed that I hadn't been invited back to all three but I told myself "I may be upset about the Kimberleys and Diana not inviting me back, but at least I got invited back to one so I am happy to feel wanted somewhere." And as it turns out, the Jessicas were my top choice!

Last night: Formals at the Jessica house. I went down and again, felt right at home when I stepped inside. I realized why I've loved these girls since I met them at opens: they weren't uptight, they were laid back...they made fun of themselves and teased their sisters...you could see the fun they had together when you watched them interact...you didn't have to be talking to them to see that. I made sure to use a lot of the same mannerisms that got me invited to begin with: being courteous to the sisters, looking them in the eye while talking, complimenting deocrations I liked, etc. I'm not going to detail the activity they did with the rushees, but let me just say I was very touched by it.

Bids day (tomorrow) can't come fast enough! Here, the sororities come around to dorms and do their chants as they hand out bids. I will let everyone know how I make out.

P.S. If anyone wants to know more than what I put here, PM me.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It all sounds great! I hope you find the perfect fit!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I hope you find your home
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope you find what you're looking for with the Jessicas! Let us know ASAP!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck! I hope you end up happy

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have good news.

I contacted the Greek Life Office this morning and unfortunately, I did not get extended a bid to the Jessicas. It really hurt to hear that, but I managed to hold in my tears until I got off the phone. I understand no one on here or no one in the Jessicas can tell me why I got cut...but even so..I tried to reach back into my head and figure out what I did wrong that got me cut after formals...was it how I looked? How I acted? Or was it my GPA? (2.97; almost 3.0 but still.) Maybe I said something afterwards that I shouldn't have. I can't really think of an explanation, but I'm not going to sit here and say I behaved perfectly during rush...cause obviously I did my best, but had a slip up somehwere that I have to try to figure out.

The lady in charge of Greek Life (who is really nice) told me about COBs tonight. The Jessicas are COBing, but my friend wanted to go there...and she didn't get a bid either...so Greek Life advised against her going there. They didn't tell me the same thing but I'm going to assume that's the general consensus. So my friend and I are headed to COBs for the Jasmines tonight. I cut Jasmines before formals, but maybe things will go differently tonight. Who knows? I am ready to move on and start fresh at the Jasmines!

Lastly, I will now reveal the sororities I rushed:

Jasmines=Delta Phi Epsilon
Jessicas=Delta Epsilon Beta (local)
Kimberleys=Alpha Sigma Tau
Fantasias: Chi Sigma Rho (local)
Dianas=Phi Sigma Sigma
Kellys=Phi Iota Chi, AKA Pixies (local)
Carries=Alpha Sigma Alpha

I hope things go well at COB tonight!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck
Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope things go well for you tonight. Have a great time and just be yourself!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Were Tri Sigma, Theta Tau Omega & Chi Theta Pi not participating? I thought formal rush was in spring.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

* good luck *
:]
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Darlinglilred
Good luck with cobing!

I like seeing a thread that has Phi Sigma Sigma involved it's interesting to seehow other chapters do it differently.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

We're keeping our fingers crossed for you!
Old 02-09-2006, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You have a great attitude. Have a great time at the COB parties. I hope you get to meet some wonderful ladies and have some fun!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Unlike most of the other recruitment stories here, I didn't have a happy ending.

I went to my COB party tonight, but no bid. I came back from studying and saw letters next to my room door and got really excited, but as it turns out...the letters were there for my roommate. She got into D Phi E and I did not...we both went to the COB party. The other bad part is that my hallmate, who rushed, got into D Phi E as well. So they both have letters on their door and I have nothing.

I can't tell you all how much this hurts, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and trash sororities. I just wish I had had a happy ending.

Anyone have any tips on how to cope with not getting in? Especially since two girls I live closely to got in and I have to see them in their letters and listen to their convos about pledging and everything?

I'm going to wait a couple days before summing up how I felt about the whole experience, only because I don't want something angry and anti-sorority to come out of my mouth.