GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,332
1 members and 1,331 guests
acg233

Old 05-14-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
Hopefully that grain of salt is lining a margarita glass!
Yes Pledged and those SECRETS sites should be taken as gospel
LoL.. yep.. especially since Miss Robbins is an expert on sororities!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend from a different sorority was the ritual chair and kept her robe in plain view after their initiation. So, I know what their robes look like. They were nice, with very pretty trim.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
Hopefully that grain of salt is lining a margarita glass!
Yes Pledged and those SECRETS sites should be taken as gospel
Oh you know it is! One giant grain of salt to go with my giant margarita!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Ginger

Yes, some.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I know some information about my ex-boyfriend's fraternity, however, I don't really remember because that was so long ago. And I don't care to remember. I also know a little bit about one sorority here at Ole Miss, my freshman roommate got drunk one night and proceeded to tell me all sorts of stuff, I just sat there and kept on telling her to be quiet. However, I've never shared her organization's secrets and I don't think it would be right to share them. Anyway, I don't want to know anyone else's secrets and rituals because I have my own which I hold dear to my heart and I'm a member of one fraternity and one set of letters, not many!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Not really. I know just a very very little bit about my husband's, which I don't even really remember. I'm curious about other org's ritual but not to the point where I really want to know what it is.

I've had guys come up and give me our grip before, which irritates me, but it's true, they don't know the meaning behind anything so why should I let it bother me.

I just learned our officer robes aren't really a part of ritual, so anyone can see them. Surprised the heck out of me when I learned that!

And I have to wonder whether people actually told Ms. Robbins information or if she heard it second-hand. A bit of both, probably.

edited because I meant aren't a part of our ritual
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 05-14-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Don't know about that. There could be tons of meanings behind all the letters, considering all the word combinations they could have had.
But realistically, if you see a heart or some outward symbol of "love" on a crest of an organization that has a "Phi" in their name, you're going to be pretty sure that means philia, for love. I have pretty good guesses as to quite a few groups rituals based on studying their crests and a vocabulary of 300 Greek words from the NT.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thermobryan
Whats funny is when ppl think they know what your letters mean and its totally off....Some idiots at my school think that PiKA stands for Praise King Arthur...OH NO! I gave away the secret!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
No comment.

That means yes.
I really think that this is a great answer, and probably one that many of us would be able to say with all honesty.

At one time or another, I suspect that all of our rituals and other secrets have been revealed by disgruntled former members, or even by accident.

If someone were to ask me face to face, I think I would "just say no."
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless you have experienced or witness the ritual, how would you know - without a doubt - what you have been told is true?

Even people who are drunk can make stuff up!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
i never saw any ritual stuff, but one org left their blinds up and windows uncovered during voting. anyone walking by could see exactly what was going on. by the time they realized,there was a group of people standing outside, guys& girls,greek & non-greek.

my one friend told me what her letters mean when she was drunk. but i have kept it quiet out of respect.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never told anyone what I was told either. I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting you've been told someone else's secrets...as long as you're not running around saying "Delta Omega Mu means Down with the Man!"

As for people spilling the beans, I don't really know how to explain it. Maybe they did lie. Maybe they just can't keep a secret. Maybe they didn't respect their GLO and just didn't care who knew. Maybe they were new and didn't realize they weren't supposed to share. Maybe they were caught up in the heat of the moment and were really excited about being an XYZ they shared it w/ someone who wasn't a member w/o even thinking. Maybe they were a disgruntled and possibly former member so they did it out of spite. I dont' know. All I know is that I would never, EVER tell anyone anything about Alpha Xi, and I hope that every one of my sisters feels the same way, but I'm sure that's not the case.

ETA: Isn't there a fraternity whose ritual meaning is open? Am I imagining that? If so, why would they have an open ritual like that?

ETA: I think there's a big difference b/w knowing the handshake and what the robes look like and knowing what the letters mean...but that's just me. But I agree with a previous poster - I haven't seen the ritual or learned all the other info, so it doesn't mean anything to me other than a phrase.

Last edited by WCUgirl; 05-14-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

One fraternity used to teach pledges ritual stuff and haze them right in front of us when we worked with them for a semester. I have seen a few people on message boards speculate about this houses ritual and stuff, and what they've said usually correlates with what we saw.

A funny story, though- One night, I was at a party, and this guy from a different house than the one above was WASTED and talking to me. I was only continuing the conversation b/c it was really entertaining, anyway....I said goodbye, and he grabs my hand and did this secret handshake thing.
His eyes get huge, and he goes "OH SHIT! I just initiated you into XYZ!" and BEGGED me for the rest of the nigth not to tell anyone. It was hilarious.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AXiD670
ETA: Isn't there a fraternity whose ritual meaning is open? Am I imagining that? If so, why would they have an open ritual like that?
Professional fraternities.

i.e. members of PFA
Old 05-14-2004, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
Professional fraternities.

i.e. members of PFA
What's PFA?

That's not necessarily true. But the fraternity I'm thinking of is social.