GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,009
1 members and 1,008 guests
KDKells

Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that I think about it, since our installation, my chapter has never held initiation in the same place more than once! Ha! I think we've had new member pledging in the same room a few times, though. Installation is always on campus, NM pledging has always been on campus, and we've had Fireside both on- and off-campus.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
I've often thought about this on a grander scale, of how different rituals reflect the times they were created. Even those from the 18th and 19th centuries would vary, I'd think, to reflect the "current" issues (not to mention founder & campus personalities). I've seen some from the early-mid 1800s and others from the mid-late 1800s, and to me they have a slightly different in focus. Most come back to Greek ideals (duh, it's a GLO) and appreciation for learning (also duh, they're in college) in some way- but the approach changes. Admitedly a low sample size and male vs. female, but it's absolutely fascinating.

I did have a class on mythology in high school, called "Humanities" (nice broad term don't you think?). Only 30 of 2500 students took it a year, so I'm pretty sure I was in the minority with that one. We also had a Latin program but it was being phased out to some extent. My college had a strong but small classics program, several of my sisters were involved there and "helped" us on pronunciation and the like
A bit off-topic....

Freshman year, i took a class in Greek Mythology and History - it covered theater, literature and art. (I was a theater major at the time then changed to English).

I didn't study Greek Language, but the "Art and Thought of Classical Greece" class was one of my favorite, most informative, interesting and intellectually fulfilling class that I have ever taken. It gave me so much perspective on ancient and more recent (middle ages and later) lit, art and theater to know the origins of the modern versions we interact with today.

I had already studied Latin my first two years of High school, as well as English, American and World lit, as well as 4 years of Spanish in HS. Those classes, in my opinion, were what "higher learning" was all about. As I progressed through my Major, I felt privileged to be able to spend my days reading and learning about something that a lot of people felt was trifling or lacking any "real" skills in the real world. Learning can be such a luxury!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to afRHOcentric
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Wow- I never considered initiation anywhere other than where my campus would hold it. We have a non-sectarian chapel (Galbreath Chapel) on campus that holds around 200 people. It even has a basement lounge area where people could wait or change clothes if needed. I'm pretty sure all the orgs on campus used it for initiation since it was so pretty and set up perfectly. The chapel had a sign that you would put on the door that it was in use, and I don't ever remember someone trying to get in.

Even the honor society I was in used it for initiation.
We didn't used it. That's one sexy school you attend though!