GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,220
3 members and 1,217 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Thirteen Reasons Why

Anyone else watched it?

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have not, and for the same reason I hate the book. It was the summer reading for one daughter's class a few years back and all those kids could do is think about why committing suicide with notes would be a great way to say F.U. to people who were mean to them.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't realize there was a book but I did watch it and some of the episodes were very difficult to watch. I think for those who are vulnerable to depression it could ignite suicidal ideation. On the flip side though I feel like could provide the opportunity to have a conversation.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I started watching this last night with some friends. Never a good idea to binge watch things on a Sunday evening

But I downloaded 5 episodes so I can watch during the work day today. I'm enjoying it so far. Kind of over the top, but still intriguing.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I started watching this last night with some friends. Never a good idea to binge watch things on a Sunday evening

But I downloaded 5 episodes so I can watch during the work day today. I'm enjoying it so far. Kind of over the top, but still intriguing.
It's disturbing, but once you start you can't stop. Here's a hint: Watch to see if Clay has a band-aid on his forehead or not. This helps you determine whether he's daydreaming/remembering something or in the present.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-15-2017, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
Here's a hint: Watch to see if Clay has a band-aid on his forehead or not.
My husband only watched a few minutes of two of the episodes and he asked me once I finished if Clay's forehead ever healed up? I had to chuckle about that. I believe the series was also renewed by Netflix for a second season.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband's school district sent out a "warning letter" to families. There have been several teenage suicides in the past few years.

Carnation, it seems like a poor choice for a summer reading list -- I wouldn't want kids reading it on their own over the summer, without access to teachers or other trusted adults they could confide in if they wanted to share that they were also struggling with depression. My husband's district was worried about the suicidal ideation that andthen mentions.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
My husband's school district sent out a "warning letter" to families. There have been several teenage suicides in the past few years.

Carnation, it seems like a poor choice for a summer reading list -- I wouldn't want kids reading it on their own over the summer, without access to teachers or other trusted adults they could confide in if they wanted to share that they were also struggling with depression. My husband's district was worried about the suicidal ideation that and then mentions.
I wouldn't want my kids to read the book or watch the show. People say that it glamorizes suicide, but there's nothing glamorous about the final episode.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the book. I could not put it down, read it all in one day. As hard as some of the pages were to read, it needed to be written. People often post before they think, we've all been guilty of it. If the book makes one person delete an unkind post before they make it, then it's done some good.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I love the book. I could not put it down, read it all in one day. As hard as some of the pages were to read, it needed to be written. People often post before they think, we've all been guilty of it. If the book makes one person delete an unkind post before they make it, then it's done some good.
I think the concern in my husband's district was that if leads anyone to commit suicide, then it's done some bad. Hence the heads up to parents.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Finished a few days ago.

Not bad, but the ending was too cliche.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

The problem with the argument that the final episode makes suicide less glamorous is it is the 13th episode - you have to get through the first 12 to reach that point.

I give it a solid NO - last night I finally got to visit my niece who tried to commit suicide on Tuesday night. Did this show cause it? Of course not. But it sure as hell didn't help with sending so many false messages about suicide.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tting-it-right
Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

The episodes are ok to watch but I enjoyed reading the book more.