GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,620
0 members and 2,620 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Do I have a chance at greek life - SOLVED! Thank you!

Hi everyone! Because I've gotten all the help I need, I'm going to stop replying to the thread. Thank you all for your help! I'll update you all at some point later on!

Once again, thank you guys for all the help! really appreciate it!

Last edited by UvaOrJmu; 01-31-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvaOrJmu View Post
Hi everyone! :3 This fall I will be going to a community college for 2 years before transferring to either UVA or JMU from guaranteed admissions. I REALLY wanna be a part of greek life but I'm afraid I won't be accepted because I'm a junior? I'm going to study nutrition at either school and might be staying an extra 2-3 years to work on becoming a physical therapist, so I might not be leaving college after my 2 years

Just wanna know if you guys think I have a shot at making it. Is one school better than another to rush at as a junior? Which one is more difficult to get in to? I wanted to rush as a freshmen or sophomore but my mom can't afford college so that's why I'm doing the cheaper alternative (CC) so I can save money.

If there are any ways to better my chances of joining a sorority as a junior please let me know! Really appreciate everyone's help! <3
Before you hitch that particular horse to the cart, have you considered what sorority membership will likely cost? I am not telling you not to rush, but I would hate for you to get your hopes up and then realize that your budget doesnt' allow for an activity as costly as being in a sorority.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, I have considered the costs of sororities. It's not that I can't afford college, it's just that it would be tough to afford 4 or even 3 years of the same school. I can get into a CC for only 6k - and that's for both semesters! I have that much saved up from the full time job I've been working while I finish up my senior year of HS, so I'm not worried about paying that. My mom says she will try and give me a little bit too, but I'm trying to focus on paying the most college stuff. Hopefully I didn't make it sound like I could barely afford anything. I just meant that all 4 years was out of the question. I'm still going to work my full time job during those 2 years of CC, so whatever I make (+ if my mom insists on giving me money) will be to pay for my tuition and whatever is left can be my money to use as I please (at least that's how my mom put it haha!)

If I have to, I will work to pay off any sorority dues I have. I've heard it's around 1,200 (?) for the first time you join but lowers after that? Maybe I'm wrong lol.

Basically, I was just worried sororities wouldn't want me because I'm a junior. I really want to experience greek life so I'm willing to do whatever will make me seem like a good candidate for greek life.

Any tips on what would make a junior more worthy to a sorority? What do they look for? Thank you so much!!
Have you considered applying as a freshman and seeing what kind of financial aid you'd get from either school? It doesn't sound like you've really taken that into consideration and if you can't afford four years the school might be able to help you with reduced-interest loans or scholarships. I know I wouldn't be able to afford Clemson without the scholarship I have.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Much like other schools in the South, both JMU and UVa are not going to be ideal recruitment situations for a junior, as many freshman/sophomores will be going through as well and will have a considerable advantage.
At JMU, dues are expected to paid once issued, so you cannot "pay them off" unless a group allows you to go onto a payment plan--again, not a guarantee that they can do that.
As for what makes you look good, reference the other 100 threads about what we can tell you about recruitment--we can't tell you what's going to make you look best because there's not a magic combination of extracurriculars and volunteering and grades that equals a bid, and even if there was, we can't discuss that with you.
Another note: even if you stay after graduation for PT school, some sororities don't allow you to stay on after graduation as an active undergrad member, so you really shouldn't bank on that bolstering your chances. We have girls here at JMU of my chapter in the JMU Graduate School who are now alumnae members, as they cannot be an active after graduation.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Please do not say to us that you don't know any Greeks. Have you asked EVERY female and EVERY male you know who has a sister/mother/wife? Notice I said every female or male - not every college female or male. Do you know any teachers? Surely you had some in school. Guess what. They went to college. They might be or might know Greek women. Mothers of your friends. Parents' friends. SS teachers. Camp counselors. You mentioned you work. Any women there? Any men who have mothers, wives, sisters?

You have not begun to tap your resources.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wish I could talk to my mom about going to a college sooner but I can't tell her the real reason why. My mom HATES sororities and believes all the horrible stereotypes about them. She has no clue I want to join greek life and if she ever mentions it or tells me not to join it when I go away, I just agree and act like I can't stand greek life (even though I'm crazy about it! ^.^)
Oh my... no no no and NO. How do you think your mom will react when she realizes that you have been lying to her? There may be no financial help from her at all if you pledge, but that will be the least of the damage. I would strongly advise that you be honest with her NOW. Don't allow sorority membership to damage your relationship with your mom. It is not that important.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well that's what I originally talked about with my mom, but she thought cost wise the guaranteed admissions would be better. Plus, my SAT scores would definitely stop me from UVA (they are high, but not up to UVA's standards lol).
Also, my mom said the guaranteed admissions would make sure i wouldn't have to worry about not getting admitted to JMU (my top school pick).

My preferred choice has always been to go as soon as possible. I would love to transfer after a year of CC so I could join a sorority sooner. I wish I could talk to my mom about going to a college sooner but I can't tell her the real reason why. My mom HATES sororities and believes all the horrible stereotypes about them. She has no clue I want to join greek life and if she ever mentions it or tells me not to join it when I go away, I just agree and act like I can't stand greek life (even though I'm crazy about it! ^.^)

I'm just very confused on what to do. I need to find a way to get to college sooner, but just not break the bank when I do... =\ thanks for your help!
Not to tell you to disregard your mom's advice, but does she really know what she's talking about when it comes to financial aid and college costs? Have you talked to a guidance counselor or college admissions officer about what would be more cost-effective for you? I say this only because while both of my parents are college-educated people and had the best of intentions during my college search they didn't understand the finer points of financial aid and affordability. I suggest that you get a second opinion. Your mom (or anyone else's mom, for that matter) is not the end-all be-all certification on college costs and admissions. Maybe an outside opinion from someone who works in the industry would convince her that JMU is affordable or that you have a chance at a different state school. Find a guidance counselor you like and trust at your high school-it doesn't have to be the one assigned to you-and ask them what they think.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM

You need to be honest with your mother and tell her that you intend to pursue sorority membership. If you go away to school and then pledge, that will be a double whammy. Also, clemsongirl is right in that you need to speak to someone else about admissions and scholarships. My cousin was able to go to a private school for considerably less than our state flagship because of the scholarships the school offered. It sounds like your mother is trying to keep you tied to the apron strings as long as possible, and that's not fair to you, especially if it results in a subpar education when you could have had 4 years of a better one.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the same person as this other thread from November, I assume?

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=136619

Even though the schools have changed, a lot of the advice given is still the same.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Try this: www.npcwomen.org. It's the umbrella organization for the majority of women's GLO's. There is a wealth of information about sororities and their purposes. You might also look up lists of famous women who are Greek. There are actually many in Congress. My group has 3 - 1 senator and 2 congresswomen.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you Clemsongirl for QFPing--I'm not impressed by this girl, and her attitude does not endear herself. I will most assuredly be keeping an eye open during fall recruitment in a few years to see if anyone like this wanders through; she's certainly put enough identifiers all over the place for any of my sisters or friends to figure out who the heck she is.

Last edited by johansla; 01-31-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: edited to match OP's timeline