GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,381
2 members and 1,379 guests
asamathattso539, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

AI Gamma Phi Beta

I am an alumna initiate of Gamma Phi Beta. I did not have the opportunity to join a sorority in school. I worked my way through college going to a community college and then taking classes at night, weekends, and online for my Bachelors and my Masters. I found Gamma Phi Beta through a resume of an applicant. I identified with the ideals of the organization and joined as an alumna. I have been very active and have helped out with three college initiations and now I am AVP of my chapter. I am not trying to gain an experience of those who joined in college. But I think Gamma Phi is a wonderful organization with amazing women as members and I wanted to be part of an organization. I have enjoyed my time with Gamma Phi and wish that I could have joined when I was in college. I encourage all sisters to be active in their alumnae chapters. We are very active in supporting local charities as well as Camp Fire USA and help support two local colleges as well. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to throw this out there, AI is also a possibility for colony members that put a ton of work, sweat and tears into building a chapter, but it didn't come to fruition. We had a colony at a small university campus near Atlanta for two years, but it was closed this past spring. I worked very closely with those women and shared their great disappointment (the only other Chapter in Georgia is 4 miles away from us, and it were just installed this past spring). However, those girls are Alpha Sigma Alphas through-and-through, and therefore are being initiated as alum in November. We are reorganizing the Atlanta Alumnae Chapter and these women will be a great addition to our group.
AI isn't to replace the collegian experience and I've never met an AI who thought it would. And if a collegiate member thinks that AI doesn't make sense, she probably doesn't get that membership is for life, and a sister should want to be involved in whatever way possible (depending on life circumstances, of course) after graduation. If a PNM joins a sorority only for the social perks, she's not bringing a lot to the organization. But a PNM who joins because the values, aspirations and ideals of the sisterhood closely match what's already in her heart will move the national organization forward a great deal. That member will continue to enjoy her membership well beyond the college years and will likely show that love to others around her in her lifetime.
Just my two cents.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX369 View Post
If a PNM joins a sorority only for the social perks, she's not bringing a lot to the organization. But a PNM who joins because the values, aspirations and ideals of the sisterhood closely match what's already in her heart will move the national organization forward a great deal. That member will continue to enjoy her membership well beyond the college years and will likely show that love to others around her in her lifetime.
Just my two cents.
And sometimes it happens that the girls who joined just to party end up as the most dedicated and devoted members, on a national and local level, and the ones who joined with lofty aspirations are never heard from again once they move the tassel on their graduation cap. Everyone takes a different journey through Greek life.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And sometimes it happens that the girls who joined just to party end up as the most dedicated and devoted members, on a national and local level, and the ones who joined with lofty aspirations are never heard from again once they move the tassel on their graduation cap. Everyone takes a different journey through Greek life.
True story.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

We have only one AI member in my chapter that I know of. Her mother was an ADPi. Her daughter was an ADPi. She was on House Corp, always helping with recruitment, and she was always helping supply items that the house needed. She was a fantastic sister before she ever became a sister. Membership was a "thank you" for everything she did (and continues to do).

Other than that, I never knew it was something people actually sought until I came to GC.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
While I was active we had three AI. One was the grandmother of one of our members and was always helping out for recruitment or whatever we needed. When she was in good health. The president at the time thought that she would be perfect candidate for AI and nominated her. She was now able to share the love her granddaughter had for the fraternity and not wonder about it.

Next one I don't know much about but she was our chapters facility advisor for years.

Last one was the mother of our long time chapter advisor. She was always helping and was always there for the chapter. She helped with recruitment and other events. If I remember correctly she declined AI a few times before she finally did it.

AXiD does AI for mother of colony member if they chose to. It is a way for mothers to share a bond with ttheir daughters. AI is also part of our national convention. Those AI are part of the Alpha Dueteron chapter. There are special requirements needed for AI to happen. I do not believe it is for everyone or that most that are AI think they will be dining the same as the actives.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard of one example of AI in KD and it was very cute. A group of very close friends all left and went away to college and all, by coincidence/chance joined Kappa Delta except one who went somewhere that there was not a KD chapter. In their seventies, they were still all close friends and wanted the one friend to be included in something so special to them, they went to HQ and started the process and she was initiated with her close friends
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 PM

I will say that I met an AWESOME AI sister at Convention last year.

She was working in Student Affairs at James Madison and served as the staff/faculty advisor to our Alpha Upsilon chapter (chapters there are required to have someone on staff working with them.)

She went above and beyond for them (organizing educational events, hosting retreat at her home, etc.) in a position where most people just show up to meetings once in awhile and sign off on important papers.

Her undergrad didn't have Greek Life so she didn't know much about it. Her first exposure to it was in her work at the University and she genuinely enjoyed heelping them out.

This past year she was approached by the chapter and invited to join. She accepted and was initiated at Convention. It was a pretty cool experience. She's also now heavily involved with her local alumnae chapter.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
I've heard of one example of AI in KD and it was very cute. A group of very close friends all left and went away to college and all, by coincidence/chance joined Kappa Delta except one who went somewhere that there was not a KD chapter. In their seventies, they were still all close friends and wanted the one friend to be included in something so special to them, they went to HQ and started the process and she was initiated with her close friends
This is a very, very sweet story.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

These are great examples and show what we mean by "rare." And none of these women chose to AI so that they could experience something they missed in their late teens/early 20's.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Can I just summarize? Most of the AI's seem to fall into one of the following categories:

1) Long-time housemother/Greek affairs person/other University staff who have done a lot for the org
2) Relative of one or more members of the org
3) Alumna of a local that is absorbed by an org
4) Alumna of a colony who graduated before that colony was installed
5) Really, really outstanding member of the community with no Greek affiliation*

*I don't know how common this is across the board, I just know that half of the Phi Mu AI's that I know personally fall into this category. It's an admittedly small sample, though, so if others want to chime in on that, please do.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 PM

^^^That's pretty much it for us as well (based on every AI woman I've ever heard of within Tri Sigma.)

I have also known a small number of AI women who pledged Sigma, then the chapter closed before they were initiated. Or a few who pledged, had to leave school for a major reason, never initiated, then wished to become members later in life (like 10 years post college.)

But those are rarities. The above cases you listed = 99% of our AIs.

Hopefully women read these stories we've posted and understand that it's not something that anyone can just do because they didn't get a chance to be Greek in college.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this is an older post, but I just thought I would add to it since I am an AI! I was just initiated into AOII as an AI. I was a founder of a local sorority, which was just absorbed into AOII. I was already helping the chapter with recruitment and other things and the alumnae were invited to join as AI members. Four of us were initiated with the chapter during their initiation and installation. I really look forward to continuing to help out with the chapter. I have gotten to know quite a few of the girls and they are awesome and remind me so much of the chapter when we started and it has been fun to see them go through this journey! It is such a great organization to be a part of and I am so glad that I was invited to join.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafounder1 View Post
I know this is an older post, but I just thought I would add to it since I am an AI! I was just initiated into AOII as an AI. I was a founder of a local sorority, which was just absorbed into AOII. I was already helping the chapter with recruitment and other things and the alumnae were invited to join as AI members. Four of us were initiated with the chapter during their initiation and installation. I really look forward to continuing to help out with the chapter. I have gotten to know quite a few of the girls and they are awesome and remind me so much of the chapter when we started and it has been fun to see them go through this journey! It is such a great organization to be a part of and I am so glad that I was invited to join.
This isn't really the situation that the OP was saying she didn't get. You had an obvious tie to the chapter and the school. The OP is talking about women who AI into an org and didn't have any previous association with it.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl...I know that is not the situation she was talking about, but I just wanted to put in my experience. When I looked for AI posts, this was the first one that pops up and a couple other people mentioned different situations which people become AI's so I just thought I would add it.
Closed Thread