GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,705
2 members and 1,703 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Cutting or pledging a group for dumb reasons

So many Greeks have told me that they cut or even pledged a certain GLO for dumb reasons that I wondered if you'd heard of any!

For instance, if I'd stayed in my hometown and rushed, I probably would've pledged a certain GLO because I loved its flower (hey, I was 16). To heck with what the members were like!

The neighborhood ditz announced that she didn't want to be a Tri Delt because the three triangles on the shirt didn't look like "real" Greek letters and she wanted people to know she was Greek. (Her grades ended up being too low to rush.)

I know a college sophomore who doesn't want to pledge one group because she can't stand their colors.

Oh yeah, and when I rushed there was a rushee who really wanted Chi O and when they cut her, she pledged Alpha Chi Omega so she could tell the folks back home she was "A Chi O" and not be lying. That had always been her game plan, to only consider those 2 and none of the other 12, and this was before she'd even met anyone in any of the groups on campus!

You get the idea! Does anyone else have a ridiculous story?

Last edited by carnation; 07-16-2002 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:10 PM

hee hee...

one of the girls in my dorm liked DZ but she almost didn't pledge because, as she said, "Their colors are so PREPPY!" She was more the rock star/biker babe type. Of course, she ended up joining and loving it, pink & green and all.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: Cutting or pledging a group for dumb reasons

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
So many Greeks have told me that they cut or even pledged a certain GLO for dumb reasons that I wondered if you'd heard of any!
Not only do I know of one, I'm personally guilty of one on the cut side of things.

I wasn't comfortable at all with the public symbols of one of the chapters on my campus. Of course, I was a youngster and really quite naive about everything greek! Still, my discomfort with some of the symbols (and phobia about one particular symbol, believe it or not) did play a big part in my thought processes when looking at the different sororities on my campus.

Christin
Old 07-16-2002, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThielGirlie
I have had many people at school say they wouldn't rush ZTA because it "didn't LOOK greek", Sigma Kappa because "the colors were too preppy", and Chi-O because they "don't look good in red". Yeesh...
Old 07-16-2002, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I cut a certain house because I was thinking about how strange it would be to go back home and tell people which house I was pledging and them saying, "Like the rock station on the radio?" I also couldn't see myself with their mascot and that print.

I cut this other popular house because the girl who rushed me had fake eyeglasses and she talked about it for longer than 30 seconds and I thought it was too weird since it wasn't like a costume party. She had a collection of fake glasses, to make her look smarter.

In my guide where I wrote comments I actually wrote for one house during Round 1, "I was so tired, I didn't really care." Clouded judgement.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

When you are supposed to make a decision within days of meeting a mass of blonde bubbly spirited philanthropic girls, who all have study hours and sisterhoods and brag about some greek award or another, it get really hard to differentiate, especially the first night.

That said, I kept my rush booklet and in retrospect, I admit my comments were awfully petty for some parties.

- I didn't want to wear Christmas colors year round.
- A girl I met in one house had such clumpy mascara. She was invading my personal space so intensely that I became transfixed on the fact that her lashes were actualy sticking together when she would blink.

I was naive and had to cut houses every night. Everyone was nice, so I had to start somewhere!

As a side note, I love DZ's colors and can only wish ours were as "preppy."
Old 07-17-2002, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was in high school, my best friend's older sister was president of Tri Delta at UF, and that was really the only sorority I knew of until I got information about Greek life at orientation. Then I went by the little bits of information that are published in the Greek directory.
For example, I don't like the color pink and the anchor/sailor hat thing was a little bit much, so DG was not for me. I thought that KD's olive green and pearl white were ugly colors, and I thought that SDT was strictly for Jewish girls.
Of course, during rush week, all of these thoughts went down the drain as I got to meet sisters, and learned more about each organization. I went in thinking I wanted to be a Tri Delt, then an ADPi, since my new best friend was a legacy there, and ended up pledging "Loyalty forever to the green and white!"
Old 07-17-2002, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I had the problem when rushing where I had to drop houses every night. So i decided that I wanted to be in a larger house so the 2 on my campus that were much smaller then the rest I dropped because there were not enough girls. Then the next night I dropped another house because of their nickname(which I now find it silly, the nickname was not even bad I just thought it was stupid). Then, I started to become really superficial and I started cuting houses because of peopels shoes(yes I know that is really superficial)!!! Looking back on my rush experience I know I was not choosing wisely lucky I pledged the house that was right for me!

Actually, the reason I pledged Delta Gamma was the girl I was talking to on day 1, when she asked if I had a job and when I told her I had never worked she didn't make me feel stupid and spoiled like a lot of the girls in the other houses made me feel. Also we talked about how neither of us wanted to go to a small farm town school because we didn't like the smell of cows, whih is probably the stupidest thing I have ever had a conversation about during rush but it was just so quirky that I loved that I felt like I really connected with the girls, and she had jimmy choo shoes on, as you can tell I am a big shoe freak!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggirly View Post
I had the problem when rushing where I had to drop houses every night. So i decided that I wanted to be in a larger house so the 2 on my campus that were much smaller then the rest I dropped because there were not enough girls. Then the next night I dropped another house because of their nickname(which I now find it silly, the nickname was not even bad I just thought it was stupid). Then, I started to become really superficial and I started cuting houses because of peopels shoes(yes I know that is really superficial)!!! Looking back on my rush experience I know I was not choosing wisely lucky I pledged the house that was right for me!

Actually, the reason I pledged Delta Gamma was the girl I was talking to on day 1, when she asked if I had a job and when I told her I had never worked she didn't make me feel stupid and spoiled like a lot of the girls in the other houses made me feel. Also we talked about how neither of us wanted to go to a small farm town school because we didn't like the smell of cows, whih is probably the stupidest thing I have ever had a conversation about during rush but it was just so quirky that I loved that I felt like I really connected with the girls, and she had jimmy choo shoes on, as you can tell I am a big shoe freak!!
Speaking of dumb conversations...during recruitment this year while I was talking to a DG sister we got on the subject of how easy it was to find things with their colors, letters ( i was a actually wearing Dolce and Gabanna sunglasses the say D&G in silver letters on the side), and anchors on stuff. SHe then went in to a huge spill on how Target had a super cute bra and panty set with anchors on them and how every girl in the chapter ran around town looking for some in their size. (like I needed to know this as a PNM lol) However I just smiled and agreed...but the look on her face when she was trying to explain what we were talking about when the bumper came was completely hilarious.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

My own mother tells the story of prefing KD over Phi Mu because "I look horrible in Pink, and I just could not immagine wearing pink for the next 4 years. Even if my best friend WAS a Phi mu!"

I will admit, I like piphi's colors more than most other groups.. but I am just predjudice!

TG
Old 07-17-2002, 02:31 AM

My (biological) sister cut Delta Gamma during rush at her school because she didn't like the name. She said something about it being a DZ wannabe sorority.

And wasn't SHE shocked when I explained to her that they've been around a lot longer than WE have!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
Hmmm...this reminds me of a relative of mine who decided to take up a religious life and become a nun. She chose to join one order over another because the habits (the clothes nuns wear) looked "cuter" at the one she ended up joining.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
i know someone that pledged for a stupid reason...before she learned how many greeks were living in our building, she was runnin' off at the mouth all the time...talking about how she wanted to rush 'so she could say she was in a sorority and that shes a sorority girl'...and she was dumb enough to tell one of our new members (knowing she was a new member) that she 'knew' itd be no problem to get in with us because she knew so many of us (pshhhhhhhh- - - 'knowing' and 'being friends with' are TOTALLY different)...anyhow, this coming fall will be her third or fourth year (i dont remember) and she's rushed EVERY semester she's been in school..needless to say she hasnt even gotten one bid yet...somet people never learn
Old 07-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalAngel126
she's rushed EVERY semester she's been in school..needless to say she hasnt even gotten one bid yet...somet people never learn
Off topic, but... there's a girl like that at my school too - she was pledging our sorority for a while, but we ended up forcing her to depledge because she lied about some things. Yet she STILL comes to our rush EVERY SEMESTER! I don't know if she thinks if she stays around long enough, that we'll forget that she lied to us or something, but it's rather a running joke...
Old 07-17-2002, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

ROWDYSister LOL!!!

The day after bid day All the new members were walking around with 'I Love ZTA' buttons and people asked if 94.9 was on campus for the day!

FYI-----94.9 is WZTA-- a rock station here in Miami.

Also, the zebra is Gamma Iota's local macsot. That's just there thing.
Closed Thread