GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,395
4 members and 1,391 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Snap bids

I tend to think that snap bids usually take the form of a chapter realizing that they cut themselves out, so they go back and snap someone who was near the top of the release list from the last round.

I wouldn't think the group would try to snap bid a girl who cut them or girl who dropped out when they were still on her party list because it would just seem pointless.

Can anyone tell me how it usually really works?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing something:

Snap bidding occurs after bid matching is done. When a girl does not match with any sorority at which she attends pref parties, she is eligible to be bid by any chapter that has not matched quota after bid matching ( even if she dropped them earlier).

Example:

Let's say there are 4 sororities (ABC, XYZ, MNO, DEF) and a max of 2 parties you can attend for pref .

Becky attends pref at ABC and XYZ. She ranks them, but does not match with EITHER (they both matched quota before they got to her).

So Panhellenic matches all PNMs and poor Backy is matched with no one. She is eligible for snap bidding.

Well, after everyone has been matched, the OTHER 2 sororities (MNO & DEF) are still under quota. They are eligible to snap bid girls.

Panhellenic says "Becky didn't match with either of the groups on her final card. Which one of you wants Becky?"

One of 3 things could happen:

Situation #1

DEF says "No thank you."
MNO says "sure"
Becky gets a bid from MNO. This could be a group that she cut early on or EVEN in some cases a group that CUT HER. So she may or may not accept because neither of those 2 were on her final list.

Situation #2
Both MNO & DEF could say "no" and Becky goes bidless.

Situation #3
I'm not sure what happens if both sororities would like to bid her. I don't think she gets to choose between the 2. I think she would go to the group that is furthest from quota. (someone chime in if they actually *know* how it works.

To note, at some schools if you Intentionally Single Preference (or "suicide"), you are automatically ineligible for snap bidding. Which means, if you do not match with the one sorority that you list, you go bidless.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-05-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for answering. I think that's it, but I think PNMs can also be extended snap bids if they drop out of rush.

I was curious about how things tend to really happen with snap bids, rather than what was possible.

I'm wondering if snap bids are essentially used more to get girls back who the group cut or to give girls who cut the group a second chance, which doesn't seem like it would often work.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Glad to help. Usually (speaking for my campus only here), a girl will decline a snap bid if she gets one. because the bid they're presented with at the end is from someone that they were not interested in and that wasn't even on their final ranking. For example (and I'm using RANDOM sorority names here, no getting offended) you ranked AZD and Chi O in the end, and you open your bid card and there's a bid from Theta, whom you released (for whatever reason) after round one. It's a little shocking.

But in the instances that I've seen where a girl was given a snap bid, accepted it, and given them a chance, they've turned out to be really good members.

Personally, I've always felt like snap bidding was used more to help keep girls from going bidless in the end in the event that they don't end up receiving bids from either of the groups they preffed.

Conversely, it's used as a way to help groups get to quota if they haven't reached it after bids have been matched.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-05-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, one of those points is sort of why I'm asking.

If the snap bid comes from a group that cut you, there's a strong chance the girls would eagerly take a snap bid.

In the cases in which the girl cut them, I wouldn't think it would be a successful way for the group to get to quota very often, and yet, snap bid are given and accepted.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post

If the snap bid comes from a group that cut you, there's a strong chance the girls would eagerly take a snap bid.
Come to think of it, I've never seen a snap bid come from a group that released someone. It's usually from a group whom the GIRL cut early on (which is why at my school they don't get accepted often). I know they can, but it's not something I've seen. Have you seen it in your UGA experience?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-06-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't really have any experience knowing how people actually got their bids.

But I think that when I hear reports of groups snap bidding up to quota, I think that they are offering bids to people they previously released because many of the girls who cut them would have either matched to other groups or still want to stand by their first cut.

I'm hoping that someone will step forward and mention cases that they know of at any school. It's weird though because the people who really would know probably don't feel comfortable talking about it because on some level it's MS. I'm kind of hoping for friend of a friend stories that people heard from girls who got snap bids.

ETA: Especially with the new release figures, there'd be a lot of girls out there that the group released who, if they didn't make quota through regular bid matching, they'd probably love to see again.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 04-06-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe snap bidding has changed, but when I was in school (at Ohio University), snap bids came after everyone else recieved thier bids. So if a girl did not get a bid and was available for a snap bid, all the sororities had to wait until after a certain time. Then it could be a mad scramble to the doors of the available girls.

For us, the most successful snap bids were to girls who had a friend in the newest new member class. I remember one brand new new member being pulled off the lawn on bid day by someone from membership selection to go and offer a snap bid to her best friend (who had cut us after 2nd parties). 10 minutes later the best friend was on our lawn in letters and ended up being a great addition.

I guess you have to remember that sometimes a girl will cut ABC sorority not because she hated them, but because she can only go to so many parties, and ABC might be 4th on her list, and she can only go to 3.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both so much for answering, and especially KSUViolet for providing so much information.

It certainly seems likely that a lot of snap bids work that way. I'm still interested to hear if they go the same way now.

Any maybe in a lot of cases it'd be too complicated to go back and offer a girl you released a bid. I'm tending to think in terms of girls the group liked but were below the few they could keep with releases. But maybe retroactively there's no way to know why someone was released: maybe they were released purely on numbers, maybe they were released because they were skanky. Nobody would want to take a chance on getting that wrong.

I've never been a membership chair or adviser of any sort, so I really don't know. I think I was probably happier as a undergraduate member not knowing any more than I did.

I was having a hard time figuring out how I was was hearing stories about more group having to snap to quota. Certainly, girls with a lot of invitations after first round do probably cut groups they like, it was just surprising that "enough" girls who had those kind of results were bidless after the whole thing.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know much about snap bidding, but I kind of remember years ago that ASU snap bidding occured right after official bids were given to the girls (but maybe not opened yet, I shrug my shoulders). I remember the girls getting a list and seeing if there was a girl that they wanted to snap bid.

Question: If a PNM drops can she still be snap bidded? What about a chapter just offering her a bid in the first place?

I've heard, through the greek grapevine while I was in college, that some PNM's would drop. They were legacies and they did try to rush but they really just wanted to go their legacy house, so they dropped. In the end the legacy house "picked them up". Can that happen?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, as I like to point out, I'm no expert. But I'm pretty sure girls who dropped out of rush CAN be snap bid, at least at Georgia.

In the example about girls from the legacy houses, do you mean that the legacy chapters cut the girls but then didn't make quota so they gave bid to the girls, OR are you asking that even though the legacy house made quota they gave them bids?

In the first example, sure I think the groups could give bids to anyone without one; in the second example, I think they might be able to if they weren't at chapter total, but they'd have to wait until after the end of everyone else's snapping to quota, I think. But if they were at quota and chapter total, I don't think they could.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 04-06-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: emphasizing can.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ChildoftheHorn
I think that there are different systems here because I know of people who recieved snap bids after dropping themselves out of RUSH. The house liked them so much that they offered a snap bid to the girl, the girl dropped out of RUSH right before Pref Night.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post

In the example about girls from the legacy houses, do you mean that the legacy chapters cut the girls but then didn't make quota so they gave bid to the girls, OR are you asking that even though the legacy house made quota they gave them bids?
Sorry, that I wasn't clear

What I mean is the legacy drops out of rush because she knows that she only wants to join her legacy house and doesn't want any of the others.

More curious if a girls, legacy or not, can receive a snap bid for dropping out of rush.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing something:

Example:

Let's say there are 4 sororities (ABC, XYZ, MNO, DEF) and a max of 2 parties you can attend for pref .

Becky attends pref at ABC and XYZ. She ranks them, but does not match with EITHER (they both matched quota before they got to her).

So Panhellenic matches all PNMs and poor Backy is matched with no one. She is eligible for snap bidding.

Well, after everyone has been matched, the OTHER 2 sororities (MNO & DEF) are still under quota. They are eligible to snap bid girls.

Panhellenic says "Becky didn't match with either of the groups on her final card. Which one of you wants Becky?"

One of 3 things could happen:

Situation #1

DEF says "No thank you."
MNO says "sure"
Becky gets a bid from MNO. This could be a group that she cut early on or EVEN in some cases a group that CUT HER. So she may or may not accept because neither of those 2 were on her final list.

Situation #2
Both MNO & DEF could say "no" and Becky goes bidless.

Situation #3
I'm not sure what happens if both sororities would like to bid her. I don't think she gets to choose between the 2. I think she would go to the group that is furthest from quota. (someone chime in if they actually *know* how it works.

To note, at some schools if you Intentionally Single Preference (or "suicide"), you are automatically ineligible for snap bidding. Which means, if you do not match with the one sorority that you list, you go bidless.

It also depends on whether the campus guarantees bids. At the campus where I advise Becky would be guaranteed a bid at ABC or XYZ because she maximized her options.

Snap bids, again at the campus where I advise, are offered to girls who A) dropped from recruitment and expressed an interest in snap bids during their exit interview or B) missed the formal recruitment deadline and expressed an interest in continuous open recruitment.

Last edited by lyrelyre; 04-06-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Maybe snap bidding has changed, but when I was in school (at Ohio University), snap bids came after everyone else recieved thier bids.
That is COB. Snap Bids are done as KSUViolet and ASUADPi said right after bid matching. Usually, it is before everyone disperses with the final list The only people who would really know if Sally Sue is a snap bid are the people in the room at the time and Sally Sue. She'll get her bid with everyone else and if she or other people say nothing, no one will ever know that she is a snap bid.