GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,272
0 members and 1,272 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

It was Labor Day weekend before Rush started (Penn State rushes late), and I was at the beach with a girlfriend. She dragged me to this really wild, awful place that was almost like a biker-bar. I was pretty much trapped there for most of the afternoon and entertained myself watching the a large group of lifeguards misbehave.

One of the first rush parties I attended that week was ASA. As the girls came out to greet us, and one girl looked really familiar. I asked her, "hey, weren't you at the Barefoot Bar this weekend?" She got really pale. "Weren't you with the lifeguard who got up on the bar and....." She grabbed my arm hard and pulled me aside: "You and I need to to talk." So I spent most of the first round there hearing how that's not the kind of guy she usually dates and not the kind of place she usually frequents, etc. She was mortified, but pretty funny about the whole thing.

Of course, as all these stories seem to end, that's the sorority where I ended up, and as I found out later, this girl had acted as my guardian angel all through the selection process.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

It was my sophomore year of Rush and we had just finished up with the pref party. After the ceremony part, we all mingled with the girls so we could talk to everyone we wanted to and I turned around to see one of my sisters handing off a girl to me. I had never seen her before but I recognized her name from the lists, so I said hi and started talking all nice to her. She interrupted me and asked, "Is your boyfriend so-and-so from from XYZ fraternity?" I said yes, he was. She just looked at me and said, "Oh, ok. Then you are the one he cheated on me with when we were dating." She promptly turned on her heel and walked away from me!! I just stood there with my jaw dragging the floor and the other sisters around me had the exact same expression. I wasn't sure if I should be embarrased or mad. Anyway, her name turned up on our bid list the next day and sure enough she walked through the door! When it came time for us to leave for the bid party she said she and her friend she pledged with would meet us there. Neither of them ever showed up and we never saw them again.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My eye had been bothering me for a couple of days. It was our philanthropy day and we were sitting at tables, I leaned down to talk to a girl and felt something in the corner of my eye. A huge thing of puss came out of my eye. I was horrified the PNM was horrified, she never came back.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

This year I went to help our rush, and during pref myself and my grandlittle (also an alum) served drinks... so we go in to collect the garbage, and we had waited to late, the girls were lining up to do their well wishing- and we also have a GIANT badge that we use during our ceremony, well my grandlittle and I walked around the badge to be with the other alums to sing once we made it safely past the giant badge just fell and made a very loud BOOM! It was so embarressing! I swear neither of us were touching it, but no one believed us, of course! So afterwards we made sure we timed it right to get in there.
Oh, did I mention it came about half a centimeter from landing on a PNM's foot?
Sarah

Facebook
Old 09-08-2003, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

This was just kind of embarrassing because we looked dumb......
AOTT's philanthopy is Juvenile Arthritis Research and last year, we got this GREAT video about a camp(called Camp Esperanza) for kids with arthritis and all the things they get to do at this camp, etc etc. We played the video on our philanthropy day and because arthritis research is sometimes a hard topic to get excited about, we REALLY talked it up--how awesome the camp was, how much the kids got out of it, how we couldn't wait to go volunteer there, etc. Sadly, we found out at party#2, from a PNM that Camp Esperanza NO LONGER EXSISTED(the video was a few years old) and that even when it did, it was a rotating disease camp(ie, one year heart disease, the next year cancer), so even if we had been able to volunteer, it would not have been arthritis research only about one year every 6 or 7. Needless to say, we stopped talking about the volunteer trips we were taking there for the next 2 parties. We felt REALLY dumb!!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well this wasn't emabarrassing to me but I'm sure it was to the girl. I was a Rho Gamma this year, and after the second day of parties (3rd day of recruitment mind you, including kickoff), another rho gamma told all of us about a girl in her group who asked her when they were going to visit the 'rho gamma sorority'.... Well needless to say it was the running joke for the rest of the week. I mean come on...
Old 07-30-2004, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIforever
Well this wasn't emabarrassing to me but I'm sure it was to the girl. I was a Rho Gamma this year, and after the second day of parties (3rd day of recruitment mind you, including kickoff), another rho gamma told all of us about a girl in her group who asked her when they were going to visit the 'rho gamma sorority'.... Well needless to say it was the running joke for the rest of the week. I mean come on...
Bumping this up so no PNM have to say this again...
Old 07-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

ROTFL! I LOVE sigmagrrl's and lifesaver's stories!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't have the best rush experience. I was kind of clueless and me, being from a small town, thought I would be really cool and mature during the parties (meaning, I dressed like a 38-year-old not an 18-year-old). Well, I was cut pretty hard after 10-party-day and was only invited back to 4 houses the next day, two of which I wasn't terribly interested in.

Pi Phis were one of the first houses I went to that day (and one that I really liked) but I was so shook up and nervous that I was not really thinking about what I was saying. My rusher asked one of those "kiss-of-death" questions (one of those that can either make or break you in that house). I think it was something about how my friends would describe me or something. Anyway, I start talking and all of a sudden I find myself talking a little too enthusiastically about the PBS show Wishbone (you know the one with the little Jack Russell Terrier that reinacts classic novels) and how much I liked it and how one of my friends had gotten me the stuffed Wishbone for Christmas (it was one of those inside joke things). I couldn't stop myself! I kept talking like this show--that's geared for 8-12-year-olds--was the coolest thing since sliced cheese and blah blah. The poor girl was just sitting there and I think she was so happy to pass me off (and I think she even referenced the tv show). I left the party feeling SO stupid and knew that it was bye-bye Pi Phis. I can just imagine the things that were said about me during their selection session that night.

To make it worse, I was then so stressed out after that horrible conversation at Pi Phis that when I went to Kappas next, I had a mini breakdown and started crying! Oy. Luckily they were super, super sweet about it (I was a legacy though my older sister so many of the girls knew me) and made me feel tons better.

You can bet I was disappointed--but not surprised--that I was not invited back to Pi Phis for preference!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

A few weeks before recruitment last year a girl I met at the gym saw my Sigma Kappa keychain and told me that she was rushing @ UK. I told her that I would see her there because I'd be helping out with recruitment as an alumna.

On the first day of rush I notice her as she comes in and her tongue is so swollen that she can't shut her mouth! Turns out she had her tongue pierced a few days before, hadn't realized that it would still be swollen, and even worse-somehow got it infected!

I remember when I got my tongue pierced and I can't imagine how awful her day must've been considering she had to visit 13 houses and there is an awful lot of talking involved! Unfortunately I didn't see her the rest of the week and its really a shame because she was a terribly sweet girl.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
On the first day of rush I notice her as she comes in and her tongue is so swollen that she can't shut her mouth! Turns out she had her tongue pierced a few days before, hadn't realized that it would still be swollen, and even worse-somehow got it infected!
I don't know why but maybe this should be added to a tips preparation list. "If applicable, get tongue pierced no later than 6 weeks before recruitment begins. This is to ensure proper healing time." Poor girl. She must have been miserable.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I may have told this one in another thread, but...

When I was an active, I was rushing this girl who was really cool, and I had been matched with her because she was an engineering major and in the honors program. We were doing that thing where PNM sits in a chair, and I was on the floor. Well, my leg kinda fell asleep, and when I went to stand up and walk her out, I went flying, and had to grap the chair she was sitting in to not fall. Of course, this was accompanied by some expletives...

That was the last time we saw her.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

About twice a year I get a very severe allergic response to pollen, mold, and anything else that floats in the air during the season changes. This didn't start until I started college, so I hadn't yet figured out the timing to start preemptive medication. So, yes, when I was rushing, I had a pollen truck parked in my nose. For those of you with seasonal allergies, you know this is not a pretty sight.

I had snot running out of my nose, sneezed every 10 minutes, coughed like I had tuberculosis, and my eyes were practically swollen shut. I am blind as a bat, and during these allergy attacks, I can't wear my contacts. So I was forced to wear my old, very un-cute, coke-bottle glasses. I just KNEW that there was no way I was getting invited back! When I wasn't sneezing, I was rubbing my eyes - everyone thought I was moved to tears by their skits! Having to carry a wad of nasty tissue to the parties didn't help much either.

Luckily the women could see past the snot and I was invited back to my favorite houses every night and pledged my number one! To this day I still get rocked by allergies Labor Day week. I spent most of my active days laying in the floor at the back of the suite miserable. Now that I help out as an advisor, I start my drugs well in advance!
Old 07-30-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa

Anyway, I start talking and all of a sudden I find myself talking a little too enthusiastically about the PBS show Wishbone (you know the one with the little Jack Russell Terrier that reinacts classic novels) and how much I liked it and how one of my friends had gotten me the stuffed Wishbone for Christmas (it was one of those inside joke things). I couldn't stop myself! I kept talking like this show--that's geared for 8-12-year-olds--was the coolest thing since sliced cheese and blah blah.

AHHHHH! Oh my god, i loved Wishbone!!! like even through high school, i thought it was so great! does it even come on anymore?...see, i would think something like that is cute, esp. since i love dogs...it's sad that your rusher couldn't find a way like that to connect to the convo esp. since Wishbone IS the coolest thing since sliced cheese
Old 07-30-2004, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I'm not engaged!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMichelle
This past Spring during Pref I was really nervous. We had a Traveling Leadership Consultant at our chapter for Recruitment weekend and if that wasn't enough stress, being Pres. I have the longest part of the Pref. ceremony to memorize. I have a candle in my hand, as every speaker does when she starts talking, and I start ,pause, take a deep breath and BLOW OUT THE CANDLE. Someone giggled and to break the tension says "Hehe are you engaged Michelle?" trying to be cool I just start over from where I was. That evening at our Bid-Party a NM asked if I was really engaged. Sadly, NO. But it was pretty funny and I think helped all of us sisters and PNMs who were so nervous and excited that day. All but one of the girls were in our NM class.
i had this happen to me during a candlelight my freshman year...i was standing under a vent...i swear a lot of the older sisters were like "WTF?! You're a freshman!" before i could be heard over the clapping that it was an accident