GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,408
4 members and 1,404 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
^ I was about to suggest this. OP, please PM me.
You know, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but, I completely forgot to suggest that too. OP, please do consider Beta Sigma Phi. I am a member of both an NPC sorority and Beta Sigma Phi. Both are great organizations and I helped another young lady learn more about BSP. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatheles View Post
I find myself in a Southern city, where even at my age, sorority affiliations are key to the social stratification.
AI is not going to solve this problem for you.

Last edited by Katmandu; 09-14-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
AI is not going to solve this problem for you.
I mean, it could. Where the OP is located, Greek affiliation can be very important. I get why she would want to get involved. As you noted, there are other avenues of approach. We can help her look for them since she is clearly not as well-versed as us. I think Beta Sigma Phi would be a great resource.

I will say that I am the first one to jump on an OP if she comes here crying because she didn't get her "top" choice, "first" choice, or chose to suicide because she didn't see herself in those "other" chapters. I really am the first one to jump on that because it irritates me beyond anything. This one I get though. OP went to a an all-girl university and may have felt she missed out on something. I didn't take her post as trying to relive her college days or trying to go Greek because she was "too good" for any particular chapter that she now realizes she shouldn't have been so harsh. She genuinely wants to find sisterhood and connections. I admire that and believe that AI, should she do this, can be a great avenue of approach for some people.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

thatheles, you already have the connections you need. Move forward in those circles and not on here on GC. You already know what time it is here.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

And since you find yourself in a Southern city, religion is of great importance. Perhaps you can find a church that will help satisfy this need.

The main issue, beyond what many other posters have said, is that for most NPC groups, AI is not something that is done a lot. It's a special situation usually for someone who has a connection (daughter, close friend, etc) who pursues it for the person. It's not the sort of thing where the woman pursues the membership. You need to wait for it to come to you. Many women come here wanting something they didn't get in college. That is absolutely not the purpose of AI. I certainly understand your situation, but being a 50 year member of my group and having witnessed many AI situations, it really doesn't sound like you are in a place where that could happen easily. Sorry if you think being honest with you is fitting the Hollywood stereotype but I am just trying to be honest. AI is usually to fill a need within the alum group - 9 times out of 10 as an adviser for a collegiate chapter. Sorry if you thought it was otherwise.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the NPC Unanimous Agreement on Alumnae Initiation?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

There isn't one.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There isn't one.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

well, there isn't a need. The UA already says you can't join two NPC groups. Collegiate recruitment is covered as well. Since AI is unusual, there really isn't a need for another UA to cover it.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Bless your heart, AI is not going to solve this problem for you.
FYP.

I think we'd all be a little less stabby if she wanted to pursue AI someplace where sorority affiliation isn't going to do squat for her socially.

On another note: when did this STEM acronym become a thing? If you studied biology, say you studied biology. If you studied engineering, say you studied engineering. It bugs.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The term STEM became a blanket term to equalize the rigor of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math because of the extreme similarities in core courses. Also, it's being used to unite women in male dominated technical fields.

Last edited by thatheles; 09-14-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
well, there isn't a need. The UA already says you can't join two NPC groups. Collegiate recruitment is covered as well. Since AI is unusual, there really isn't a need for another UA to cover it.
Speak for your own organization's policy, not the other 25.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 PM

Do you mean the UAs like you have to be female, you have to be a full-time student, etc etc?

ETA: I just refreshed myself on the UAs and aside from the no one can join two groups part, they are really more about things the chapters do or don't do than things individuals do. Since AI is still on a case by case basis, it would be hard to make a UA about it. Does that make sense?

Last edited by 33girl; 09-14-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Why would we need one on AI? In the first place, you aren't an NPC member so I doubt you know much of the history and/or purpose of UAs. Not everything is covered by UAs. And I can't really imagine what a need might be for one to cover AI...there might be but at this point, I don't see it. Not trying to be snarky at all. It just isn't something at this point that begs the need for an AI UA. The current ones pretty much cover all that would be of need/interest
Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Speak for your own organization's policy, not the other 25.
What do you expect such a UA would contain?