GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,519
0 members and 1,519 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone see the other one? "The Haunting of Sorority Row"

I watched some of it but will have to watch again...missed the ending. I guess Lifetime is on a roll with the sorority movies lately...there was another a while back but I can't remember the name.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
That's a Greek Urban Legend. I did a ridiculously long response but for some reason it disappeared. Everyone is probably better off.

I'll just refer to this old post of mine.
Well, I guess that makes a lot more sense than pronunciation changing based on being behind a consonant or a vowel, lol. I wonder why different organizations choose the different pronunciations though...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Anyone see the other one? "The Haunting of Sorority Row"

I watched some of it but will have to watch again...missed the ending. I guess Lifetime is on a roll with the sorority movies lately...there was another a while back but I can't remember the name.
I only watched the opening scene, then changed it. I was home alone, and I'm not crazy about horror movies. The stuff about the beginning of Hell Week was stupid though. It's stuff like that that makes me hate sorority movies.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
That's a Greek Urban Legend. I did a ridiculously long response but for some reason it disappeared. Everyone is probably better off.

I'll just refer to this old post of mine.

I wouldn't consider it a regional thing. The pledge manual for Theta Xi Fraternity gives zzEYE as the pronunciation. So do the websites of lots of Greek Life offices. (My fraternity's manual does as well, FWIW.)

It's a matter of preference. Alpha Xi Delta prefers zee. Theta Xi apparently prefers zeye. Alpha Phi prefers fee, while almost all other orgs that use F prefer fie.
Awesome- thank you MysticCat! I didn't realize that all of the "eye" letters are "ee" in Greek, such as Pi and Chi. Now comes the fun part of remembering how everyone says it.

////

I now have the almost uncontrollable urge to go get every Greek (GLO-style Greek, that is) movie, tv show, and book and make a massive marathon. But alas I will finish off the workday instead like a good girl.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I would like to mention I noticed the same thing with Upsilon. Psi U learns to pronounce it Yoop-Si-Lon while most greeks I have met pronounce it Up-Si-Lon
Right. Meanwhile, in Greek, the U is more like the German ü, so that it comes out sounding like a cross between OO-psi-lon and EE-psi-lon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbubbles View Post
Well, I guess that makes a lot more sense than pronunciation changing based on being behind a consonant or a vowel, lol. I wonder why different organizations choose the different pronunciations though...
Preference as to whether they wanted to use the American or Greek pronunciation. I've always imagined some good Greek professor telling the founders of Alpha Phi, "you know, the correct way to pronounce that letter is . . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Awesome- thank you MysticCat! I didn't realize that all of the "eye" letters are "ee" in Greek, such as Pi and Chi. Now comes the fun part of remembering how everyone says it.
You can include in the "ee" letters I, which the sisters of Sigma Alpha Iota would tell you is EE-ota. (In Greek, it's actually closer to Yota.)

You'd be surprised how many names of Greek letters are not pronounced in Greek like they are in English.

Last edited by MysticCat; 10-19-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Kind of like pronouncing Italian as "it-alian" vs. "eye-talian"?
No. Eye-talian is just wrong. They are not from Eye-taly. Although it's actually more EE-talian rather than it-alian. I in Italian = "E" sound in Latin-based languages.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
No. Eye-talian is just wrong. They are not from Eye-taly. Although it's actually more EE-talian rather than it-alian. I in Italian = "E" sound in Latin-based languages.
This Italian thanks you
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I read somewhere that Sorority Wars is a pilot for a TV series. Hope the script writers are reading GC to get the feedback
Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally see how it could've been a pilot. I actually think it would be good show.

Sadly though, it could be because I love Greek and think another show about Greek Life would allow me to continue reliving my collegiate experience each week. How pathetic am I?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Wars was okay but The Haunting on Sorority Row was pretty lame.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

^ agreed. sorority wars is probably the only greek movie on lifetime i've ever actually enjoyed 100%.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, though I did think some things were funny/ridiculous (as mentioned in this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu_aoii View Post
^ agreed. sorority wars is probably the only greek movie on lifetime i've ever actually enjoyed 100%.
And hello...are we forgetting Dying to Belong???
Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

Thank you. I thought I was the only person whose hair stands up when I hear Eye-talian.